Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+6
Septimius Severus
TwoBits
Stretch
Pelthin
Raiel
LumenPlacidum
10 posters

Turn 22

LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 22 Empty Turn 22

Post  LumenPlacidum Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:11 pm

I have laid siege to a Marignon fortress, and I think my army is strong enough to continue, even against those harbingers he's been building up. I'm tempted to have my air mage scripted to cast thunder ward instead of arrow fend, but it's probably not a good idea.

There's a Marignon army sweeping through my nation, but I should have all its important paths reinforced next turn. However, I'm not attacking it yet. It's possible that it will continue south and into Arcoscephale. I hope to prevent this, but I cannot at the moment. You might want to consider keeping some soldiers on your northern border, melnorjr.

I will have construction 6 next turn.
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Turn 22 Empty Re: Turn 22

Post  Raiel Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Nothing particularly unexpected... Ashdod attacked 317 with 1 Adon and 7 Seshai Anakites. I lost 9 Falchioneers and 5 Empoisoners, spent 4 gems and killed everything but the Adon (who is now cursed). I'm pleased with myself because I thought ahead and brought along a scout with replacement gems (never bothered in SP). The march against the giants begins.

C'tis now has construction 6. Please post requests in "The Forge" thread, but remember that I'm somewhat limited by gems and paths (WSDN).

With Construction-6 I can forge an astral booster for my S2 mage. This guy could then teleport onto SC's, cast Curse and then Returning. Sure it's not a magic duel, but might it be worth it?
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54

Post  Pelthin Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 pm

UGH..My entire force is no more.. Well not really, but man it sucks!!!
    Turn 22 Aaashi10

I have many troops reinforcing my Fort, and will be taking the province to the south. But boy oh boy, communion slaves up the wazoo and they kicked all my golumns and my infantry.

Sorry, my old mages just can't beat these guys. Plus 4 more searches for Earth Gems, and a big fat Zero. 2 searches for Nature sites, and a big fat Zero, and 1 search for death also a big fat zero. I am trying to pump out nation summons, but I gots no gems. Sad Will keep searching.
    Stretch

Number of posts : 136
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post  Stretch Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 pm

I have Eriu under siege (and you can see the income for Eriu plummeting, so Caelum please try and take as many provinces as you can so that we can really starve him). Another Sidhe lord tried to attack a province that I moved black halberdiers to, and although he had a vine shield/frost brand/antimagic amulet, once one of them got a good whack in the next swing finished him off, mistform be damned. These guys mean business, and I'm glad Joelz bought a lot of them. Smile Not sure if I can keep Eriu sieged for too long, since T'ien Chi has a giant army in his fortress to the northeast (the provinces 1 south of dead center on the map, I think he might be coming after me soon). I'll see if I can get through the walls next turn and storm the turn after, so that I can take Eriu before he gets to me.

Marignon's army disappeared. It was in 118 last turn and I don't see it now... do you see it anywhere, Skinu? I brought enough black knights to completely rip apart his little royal guard army, but they're gone. I'm trying to figure out if I should start attacking Marignon's lands, or take my armies up to Eriu's area instead. I think I can get through Eriu's walls with the troops I bring to Eriu next turn, and then storm before T'ien Chi reinforces with the troops I have there, but the knights might be able to hurt T'ien Chi... however, if Marignon is rampaging then it might be better for me to hit his lands instead and maybe siege his fort in 109 in 3 turns. What do you guys think?

Items I have:
    Shield of gleaming gold, flame brand, dragon helmet (3 going to Raiel/C'Tis)
    Dwarven hammer (forget whose this is, will research later)
    Frost brand, vine shield, antimagic amulet (looted from one of those dead sidhe's, and another frost brand will be up for grabs next turn) Smile

Thanks for the skull mentors, C'Tis, and the astral gems, Shinuyama and Pythium! I'm good with astral for the next 2 turns.

Library found in 242/Halemyre, allows recruitment of sages. If this helps you out you can keep the province, Bandar. Otherwise Ulm should build a library there after you pass through and get some nice researchers.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Well, I got paid another visit by the Father of Winters in 302 (my 'southern' front against Ashdod) - why does he always pick on me?! affraid Well, the total carnage came to one lab that was under construction (so magic phase combat comes before construction, unlike with regular movement combat, I believe), one Arch Theurg, 3 regular Theurgs, and a whole passel of mundane units, including 30+ not-cheap Serpent Cataphracts Sad

The good news? He's dead, Jim! That's right, Mr. FoW cast Grip of Winter to open the battle, and once my side went into retreat, he couldn't chase down all the half-frozen men and kill them before he auto-routed! And, unlike last time he attacked me, he didn't bother to have another CTing unit open an 'escape' rout by taking a neighboring province (getting a little overconfident?)! So no place to retreat = dead Exclamation At least until he's recalled, which hopefully wont be until after Ashdod is gone. Too bad my mages spammed Paralyze (yeah, like that's going to work) instead of more Horror Mark, but oh well.

Anyhow, the damage at 302 sucked, but as it's close to my fortresses, it'll be easy enough to reinforce, seeing as how I'm going to wait one more turn before going into action anyway.

Other than that, nothing else to report on my end. Thanks for the gifts, C'tis and Bandar!
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:57 am

TwoBits wrote:
    The good news? He's dead, Jim! That's right, Mr. FoW cast Grip of Winter to open the battle, and once my side went into retreat, he couldn't chase down all the half-frozen men and kill them before he auto-routed! And, unlike last time he attacked me, he didn't bother to have another CTing unit open an 'escape' rout by taking a neighboring province (getting a little overconfident?)! So no place to retreat = dead Exclamation At least until he's recalled, which hopefully wont be until after Ashdod is gone. Too bad my mages spammed Paralyze (yeah, like that's going to work) instead of more Horror Mark, but oh well.
    That is good news indeed, especially after the loss of my Gorgon.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 am

Pelthin wrote:UGH..My entire force is no more.. Well not really, but man it sucks!!!
    What province number was that? 224?

You and Abyssia did distract TC though from me for a bit thanks. As I said the Deva and any other vet SC's can't be everywhere at once, and will eventually run out of luck, be cornered and killed.

I am a bit worried about TC, Marginon, and Vanheim but we should probably work systematically defeating 1 or 2 vets at a time where possible (like with Ermor). Eriu and Ashdod are ripe and should be taken out ASAP, so Stretch/Joelz, if you can take Eriu's cap and hold it you should do so.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 am

Pretty good turn for Pangaea. I am now seiging Ashdod's fort in 285 and held all of my forts. If C'tis will take 303 and 306, we will both be in a position to launch attacks on Ashdod's cap from the east.

Lost prov 277 (1 province south of Ashdod's cap) to an Adon and some chaff (after taxing high) and my long shot assualt on TC's fort in 231 failed. But I have lots of troops and will be moving more in that direction to siege that fort and attack Ashdod from the south.

Wow, that Ice Pebble Staff is awesome!

Got my first hero, one Taurotyrannos:

Turn 22 Taurot10

Not spectacular but notable as a B4 mage and the first of my mages to be able to cast rain of toads without empowerment/boost (Pangaea's Pandemoniacs are all level 2 blood mages). Now if I can research to blood 4 (still away off) I can join Abyssia in the Rain of Toads casting.

Details on upcoming moves in my next post.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:53 am

Septimius Severus wrote:Got my first hero, one Taurotyrannos

Yeah, keep that guy out of combat, maybe give him some bodyguards. I've got him in Mists of Time (EA), and he's my primary blood hunter/blood forger/etc..

Speaking of Rain of Toads, have you dropped any on Ashdod yet, Viccio?

And killing (well, not really, but still Wink ) the FoW was also nice because he was totally loaded with gear, unlike your Gorgon, who only had a few items. I think this game is going to be all about attrition (much like C'tis' and my duel with Ermor was). Since we are now generating more than double the gold and gems of the Vets, as long as we can make our defeats/loses/reverses expensive to our enemies, we'll come out on top in the end!

It's when they start cleaning our clock with little to no losses that we should start to worry...
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 am

Septimius Severus wrote:Pretty good turn for Pangaea. I am now seiging Ashdod's fort in 285 and held all of my forts. If C'tis will take 303 and 306, we will both be in a position to launch attacks on Ashdod's cap from the east.

Lost prov 277 (1 province south of Ashdod's cap) to an Adon and some chaff (after taxing high) and my long shot assualt on TC's fort in 231 failed. But I have lots of troops and will be moving more in that direction to siege that fort and attack Ashdod from the south.

Wow, that Ice Pebble Staff is awesome!

Got my first hero, one Taurotyrannos:

Spoiler:

Not spectacular but notable as a B4 mage and the first of my mages to be able to cast rain of toads without empowerment/boost (Pangaea's Pandemoniacs are all level 2 blood mages). Now if I can research to blood 4 (still away off) I can join Abyssia in the Rain of Toads casting.

Details on upcoming moves in my next post.

That's a pretty thuggable hero right there. Good hitpoints and other stats, a bit of magic to self-buff and with blood, he can drop his fatigue to 0 after doing so... then go berserk to lay the smack down on enemies that have drawn near.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:25 am

LOL, Lumen and I see the same guy and come to entirely separate conclusions within just a few minutes of each other - "keep him safe!" vs "he'd kick ass!" Very Happy

Well, I guess we'll leave this one up to you, Septimius!
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188

Post  Raiel Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:24 am

Just in case my earlier post wasn't perfectly clear: yes, I intend to take 303 this turn.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:25 am

TwoBits wrote:And killing (well, not really, but still Wink ) the FoW was also nice because he was totally loaded with gear, unlike your Gorgon, who only had a few items. I think this game is going to be all about attrition (much like C'tis' and my duel with Ermor was). Since we are now generating more than double the gold and gems of the Vets, as long as we can make our defeats/loses/reverses expensive to our enemies, we'll come out on top in the end!

It's when they start cleaning our clock with little to no losses that we should start to worry...

It's actually even more in your favor than that. Current income rates show team noob as having 4(!) times the gold income of the vet team at the moment. Ashdod is so poor right now, after you factor in upkeep he can't even afford to build adons anymore without getting gold handouts from his team. What exactly did you guys do to him? His income is in pretty bad shape for having 11 provinces. Gems are not quite as disproportionate (2.5x income). I agree that attrition is going to be a major factor in this game. The vets will have to seriously outplay you guys to be able to win this one. Some of the vets are getting their research pretty high though... I smell trouble brewing Wink

Stats for turn 22:

Noob Gold Total - 422,919
    Noob Gem Total - 2,418

Vet Gold Total - 162,539
    Vet Gem Total - 1,224

Joelz, I am going to wait for your say-so before attempting to switch you back in again Razz
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:31 am

Why is Adon's income so low? I haven't heard yet, but I suspect our friend viccio has been getting biblical on his ass (as in 10 plagues, yea frogs!).
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:32 pm

TwoBits wrote:LOL, Lumen and I see the same guy and come to entirely separate conclusions within just a few minutes of each other - "keep him safe!" vs "he'd kick ass!" Very Happy

Well, I guess we'll leave this one up to you, Septimius!

Well, we don't exactly disagree. He'd be very effective as a thug. He's also a potent mage for rituals, which are relatively hard to cast, and any thug is at risk of dying.
    Stretch

Post  Stretch Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Plus, high powered blood mages are so good for forging a bunch of boosters so that your other blood mages can spam the good blood spells without exhausting themselves, as well as blood thorns for thugs. Blood mages spamming Harm can decimate/route national troops, and spamming Leech can decimate enemy thugs or SCs.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm contemplating sending Viccio another 50 N gems to empower another of his blood mages until I can research blood 4. If Viccio can keep blood hunting/has a sufficient supply of blood slaves, he'd then have two mages casting Rain of Toads on Ashdod's cap. True, it probably be better to do the casting all at once with multiple mages so he has no warning and can patrol it away, but it's better than nothing. Wonder how much unrest is caused by each casting anyway?

I think a regular Pan might be better for the battle mage anti-SC role as opposed to the hero, the beserk is good but it could also get him killed. Was thinking of a Minataur Lord, but MR is too low and I'd have to empower him for buffs. Apparently weilding two short weapons such as daggers is more effective than two longer weapons in melee, if I can't get anything else from someone. Wonder how good the Gloves of the Gladiator are (6 attacks) Pythium?

How's the aquatic situation Viccio, (Agartha, Shin)? There's still 33 provinces in the hands of indies, and I suspect many of them are in the southern ocean around Vanheim. Can we attack Vanheim from the sea in the south yet?
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54

Post  Pelthin Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:17 pm

Agartha got locked into no expension on the water. Shin has the north, and Viccio has me blocked in the south.

Sorry.

Septimius Severus wrote:I'm contemplating sending Viccio another 50 N gems to empower another of his blood mages until I can research blood 4. If Viccio can keep blood hunting/has a sufficient supply of blood slaves, he'd then have two mages casting Rain of Toads on Ashdod's cap. True, it probably be better to do the casting all at once with multiple mages so he has no warning and can patrol it away, but it's better than nothing. Wonder how much unrest is caused by each casting anyway?

I think a regular Pan might be better for the battle mage anti-SC role as opposed to the hero, the beserk is good but it could also get him killed. Was thinking of a Minataur Lord, but MR is too low and I'd have to empower him for buffs. Apparently weilding two short weapons such as daggers is more effective than two longer weapons in melee, if I can't get anything else from someone. Wonder how good the Gloves of the Gladiator are (6 attacks) Pythium?

How's the aquatic situation Viccio, (Agartha, Shin)? There's still 33 provinces in the hands of indies, and I suspect many of them are in the southern ocean around Vanheim. Can we attack Vanheim from the sea in the south yet?
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:34 pm

Well, before you spend another 50 N gems (and I'm not saying it's a bad idea, we haven't heard from Viccio yet, but I'm pretty sure he's responsible for Ashdod having an income of barely 400 last turn), have we gotten everyone else's nature needs met? Melnorjr would like a Thistle Mace (I think he's been asking for a couple of turns now). Anyone else who's ever captured a Tribesman province and could use a Mace (Ulm, Caelum, Agartha, Abysia - use that second Mace to fine more N gems!)?

If no one else could use them gems, then go for it - let Operation Attrition begin (and let's look for other ways to hurt the Vets' income - Hurricane [I can cast that now - any Vanheim coastal provinces with big income?], Baleful Star [someday, I can cast that], Blight [might be right up Agartha's ally], Raging Hearts, Locust Swarm, all of these might be within our reach. Lets start uncorking these - at the least, we'll make the Vets blow their gems on Dome spells.

Gloves of the Gladiator? Probably good for a high strength unit - so not one of my MotG (Master of the Games) ironically (I think they'd need AN, or AP weapons, at the minimum), but maybe a Pan, especially one buffed with Earth Magic (like Weapons of Sharpness, and many more). Manual says only 4 attacks though, not 6, but with some sort of quickness, that'd be 8 attacks?

Didn't we appoint an Admiral a while back (Shinu?)? I remember Viccio talking about a shambler raid against Vanheim a few turns back - frankly, I didn't have much hope for that. Viccio is doing great on land, but if he still has any water provinces, I really think he should turn them over to our only two teams who can genuinely exploit water, Shinu and Agartha.

I hope both of those guys have been casting Haruspex at water provinces like mad, as I'm pretty sure they can recruit some national units at them (I'm positive Shinu can recruit Kappa, can Agartha recruit its amphibious units underwater?). They might not be able to easily attack from the sea (I do think Shinu has one underwater nation summon though), but they should easily be able to dominate it and prevent any vet (I guess we're talking about Vanheim - the number one Vet threat) from getting their feet wet.

But then again, with enough magic breathing items, they could easily take some serious forces under the sea to go around and hit Vanheim in the rear.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Pelthin wrote:Agartha got locked into no expension on the water. Shin has the north, and Viccio has me blocked in the south.

Sorry.

Here's where I think Abysia should give way (what are those Fire Demons doing in the water anyway? tongue ) to Agartha.

Viccio, do you mind giving up your water provinces to Agartha (Is it OK?)? Yeah, it might hurt your income a bit (but your income seems to be pretty strong anyway, and your teammates should have extra gold to help you out if necessary), but Pelthin can put those provinces to much better use (armored amphibious units, and very strong amphibious mages).
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:21 am

TwoBits wrote:Didn't we appoint an Admiral a while back (Shinu?)? I remember Viccio talking about a shambler raid against Vanheim a few turns back - frankly, I didn't have much hope for that. Viccio is doing great on land, but if he still has any water provinces, I really think he should turn them over to our only two teams who can genuinely exploit water, Shinu and Agartha.
    Yeah, I thought Shin would/could take the role of Admiral and take over any sea provinces from the other two and head south to take it to Vanheim, I'm just wondering what is going on on that front.
    Stretch

Post  Stretch Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 am

Um... does this mean that I am submitting a turn for Ulm sometime tomorrow? It's going to be very busy so if I don't get to it please extend until Sunday morning.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:31 am

Stretch wrote:Um... does this mean that I am submitting a turn for Ulm sometime tomorrow? It's going to be very busy so if I don't get to it please extend until Sunday morning.
    Have you been in contact with Joelz? I am assuming he is ready to resume his turns when your ready to switch over. I can switch the turns now and resend to Joelz, just be sure to PM him any instructions/details. I'd rather switch than have a delay.

Edit:

If you've already started on the turn and can get it in on time, please do so, this way when we switch in Joelz, he will have the full hosting interval to get his turn in.
    Stretch

Post  Stretch Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:38 am

I haven't heard back from him after a message earlier today and it's up in the air. Plus, if it's a last minute thing for him it might hurt of break the sieging of Eriu. I'll try to get it in tomorrow midday.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:43 am

Stretch wrote:I haven't heard back from him after a message earlier today and it's up in the air. Plus, if it's a last minute thing for him it might hurt of break the sieging of Eriu. I'll try to get it in tomorrow midday.
    Good deal then. Perhaps your doing such a wonderful job that Joelz is content to let you play on while he remains on the alternate bench. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content