Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+4
Darloth
P3D
Septimius Severus
rdonj
8 posters

Map Thread

rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Map Thread Empty Map Thread

Post  rdonj Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:48 pm

This is the thread for the map. I will not be updating it this time, so if you want to use the map fro more than just start locations, someone will have to keep it updating. This is the marked version. X's mark the approximate locations of the vet starting positions. Hopefully your start locations will be clear, but if someone is unsure what one of them is I can probably elaborate. Included at the bottom of the post is a link to the unmarked version of the map, if someone wishes to use it for updating the map. Unfortunately it lost a lot of detail going through the forum's resizing and I cannot post it full-size on this forum, hopefully that won't be a problem.

Map Thread Noobsv13

https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/13/54/70/44/noobsv15.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but like last time I'm having trouble remembering who everyone is. So here is the list of nations to players.

Septimius - Ermor
    alansmithee - Fomoria
    Ossa - Sauromatia
    Lavaere - Lanka
    Illuminated One - Mictlan
    viccio - Abysia
    LumenPlacidum - Agartha
    Darloth - C'tis
    Stretch - Vanhiem
    P3D - T'ien Ch'i

I am intending to update this list when there are subs, so if I do not do so, you can prod me and I'll get on that.

Last edited by rdonj on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Map Thread Empty Re: Map Thread

Post  rdonj Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:55 pm

Here's the player key Septimius asked for.

Map Thread Player10

Last edited by rdonj on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Septimius Severus Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 pm

Good job on the map, you may want to add a slight indication of the X on the eastern edge, just to remind me and everyone it's a wraparound situation. A color code might help with id.

Rdonj, Illuminated, and anyone else, feel free to post your comments, recommendations, plans for expansion, etc.

My comments:

Ossa, being one of the more experienced, was placed in what I considered the toughest situation, a corner location facing vets on two sides.

Formoria and Agartha are in good positions to get an amphibious force into the water. Formoria is in a good spot to take the island north of his location.

I've tried to arrange it to bring at least 3 noobs to bear on a single land vet at any one time.

I've placed myself in a somewhat more distant location, with only direct water access, though with coordination me and Illuminated can also have a land route. As I'm near the water, I can get some undead in the water as well.

It is important to remember to consider your neighbors in expanding and not to block their access.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 am

I don't really have much advice on expansion at the moment, I'm sure everyone will have their own strategies etc. Plus the indies will probably dictate the most where people are going to be expanding to in the beginning. Just try to expand as quickly as possible, the vets will have pretty good-sized tracts of land and probably a few extra forts up before the end of the NAP, so try to have an extra fort or two up by the end of the first year.
    P3D

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2009-04-01

Post  P3D Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:41 am

Map Notes

Mictlan is confined, not a good thing as they have their Jag warriors. They'll need a corridor to one of the warring sides - and need to go next to one other capital. OTOH they would be not interfere with allied dominions.

Fomoria, TC, Agartha and Van is one front basically, the other is Abyssia, Lanka, Sauro and C'tis.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:27 am

Yeah, it would have been nice to have a powerful nation like mictlan out early to help cause some damage. On the other hand I'm happy that it looks like all the newer players should be able to participate in this game.

Edit: Actually, it's very interesting looking at the map. I counted the number of farm provinces, and Team Noob has over a 3 to 1 advantage in nearby farm provinces. Now, they're not all going to be equally productive and some of those are swamps as well, but they should represent a pretty healthy gold advantage if they can be taken and held onto. It could turn out to be a bit of a disadvantage early for some nations who are almost completely surrounded by farms... that seems to me to be fomoria and ermor though. Ermor is probably not going to be in the fighting for a while anyway so that's probably not a problem, and fomoria should have strong enough early expanders that hopefully they can take the nearby farms without too many losses. The vet farmland locations also are pretty centralized, whereas on the noob team just about everyone has farmlands available, with the notable exception of mictlan (and more or less sauromatia). A strategy of farmland denial could therefore be interesting to pursue.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 am

P3D wrote:Map Notes

Mictlan is confined, not a good thing as they have their Jag warriors. They'll need a corridor to one of the warring sides - and need to go next to one other capital. OTOH they would be not interfere with allied dominions.

Fomoria, TC, Agartha and Van is one front basically, the other is Abyssia, Lanka, Sauro and C'tis.

Mictlan (Illuminated One) was aware of this and his confined position ahead of time, I'm sure a corridor can be arranged though.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:35 pm

P3D is right though, to get out he's going to have to take a province bordering either lanka's or sauromatia's capitol. Personally I would suggest sauromatia's, it would take away a smaller number of allied provinces to do it.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:50 am

rdonj wrote:P3D is right though, to get out he's going to have to take a province bordering either lanka's or sauromatia's capitol. Personally I would suggest sauromatia's, it would take away a smaller number of allied provinces to do it.

I'm sure Sauromatia would appreciate the help, straddling vets on two sides like they are.

Forgot to mention Vanheim has a choice of either sea or land access (via that tiny pennisula) in the north. I can assist on the northeastern front if needed by C'tis or Sauromatia, or if Vanheim wishes I can use his land route. Otherwise, it's a sea route for me.
    Darloth
    Darloth

Number of posts : 105

Post  Darloth Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Pity I didn't get put near the marshes, but nevermind. Probably won't matter hugely in the long run.
    P3D

Post  P3D Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:11 am

LumenP,

your Crystal Amazons at #85 (2 West from your capital)
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111

Post  Lavaere Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Map Thread Orania13

Lanka Nation

Controlled Lands
    Lanka (158)
    Pescan (180)
    Mountains of Madness (169)

Caelum Nation

Controlled Lands
    Iscepne (162)

Last edited by Lavaere on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : map updating)
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 pm

P3D wrote:LumenP,

your Crystal Amazons at #85 (2 West from your capital)

Thank you, kindly!

I'm taking a province next to them this turn, I think. That should help immensely. Also gives me a chance for astral, I think.
    Lavaere

Post  Lavaere Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

If people can start sending in what they have I'll make the map. But first I need to finish the number map for each regions.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 pm

I like the look of your version of the map much better than mine. Probably easier to maintain too depending on how quickly it colors.

Last edited by rdonj on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Lavaere

Post  Lavaere Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:40 am

Yeah just giving each nation its own layer, and colouring with 40% opacity.
    Annoying thing is going back and forth between game and gimp to get region numbers. Unless you know of an easier way.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 am

Not really, you're going to have to use the game to get numbers. But, I would suggest writing all the numbers down on a piece of paper or something, it would speed things up a bit. I'm assuming you're using that numbered map you were talking about for positional reference? If I completely misunderstood what you said though then I can't think of any offhand.
    Illuminated One

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2009-03-22

Post  Illuminated One Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 am

Great idea about the map! Smile

I have 200 (cap), 211, 196, 178, 166
    Lavaere

Post  Lavaere Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:10 am

Yeah I have a hidden layer thats just region numbers. That way I just look for that, and wont have to keep starting up the game. And with it saved it'll be much easier next time I need to use it.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 am

Great job with the map Lavaere. I'll send my numbers in tommorow. How often do you plan on updating it? If we have a set update time (every 5,10 turns) it will be easy to get you our numbers in time.
    Lavaere

Post  Lavaere Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Well this computer sucks and runs out of memory real easy. So it will be a few days between each edit.
    P3D

Post  P3D Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Tien Chi Turn 6
    129 (Capital)
    Taking:
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:03 am

Grudgebringer, should be able to supply my map numbers soon. Lavaere, have you decided on a definate time interval for updating the map? i.e. every 5,10, turns, or are you just going to do it whenever you can? Anyway you choose, I am grateful for the effort in any case.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Well, he's not signed up for the forum yet so he may be doing that via pm.

Edit: I take that back, there is now a registered grudgebringer, I am only waiting for his confirmation pm on the other forum now.
    Lavaere

Post  Lavaere Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:12 pm

I'll probably update every 6 turn with the next being turn 13. Since I only have them for a couple players, its rather empty.
    Until the next update, just make one post and edit it for new regions. That way I wont miss any for the next one.

Turn 7
    Map Thread Turn710

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am