Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

2 posters

Bogarus

rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Bogarus Empty Bogarus

Post  rdonj Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Lavaere, I saw your post in the thread about which nations have the weakest troops and I thought it might be good to talk about some ideas for how to be effective against the vets.

While bogarus isn't really considered a military power and their stealthy sacreds are pretty weak, they do have several advantages. Bogarus has some of the strongest magic for the era. With your position you should have a reasonable amount of time to build up your research level before having to fight anyone. Also, though your sacreds are weak, they are recruit anywhere and cause unrest. It looks like the best commander to lead them is a five-fold angel, so if I were you I would pick up blood 1 at a minimum before beginning to send in raiding units. The reason being that you can use your khlysty to screen your 5-fold angels (who may want to be equipped with say an amulet of missile protection) and spam imps to take the province. You'll have to keep another stealthy commander with your 5-fold angel this way though to make sure you keep it supplied with fresh blood slaves, and you may wish to use more than 1 per province you attack. The vet team is not going to use much provincial defense though, they are too poor and outmanned, I can pretty much guarantee you they'll see it as a waste of money to put more than 5-10 points of pd in a province as they will probably expect to trade provinces back and forth.

Another thing to consider is that all of your astrapelagists and ~half of your masters of names and starets can either cloud trapeze or teleport and can buff with body ethereal and luck. So if you wanted you could take a province one turn with angels and khlysty, then teleport mage support in next turn. If you build or find a laboratory in the province you take you may even be able to gate in an army. Another option is taking enough construction to make golems, as they are reasonable thugs and can teleport. Unfortunately your only earth access comes on mages that are neither stealthy nor naturally capable of teleporting, but if you really wanted some earth with an army to cast earth buffs, you could give one of them a starshine skullcap and a crystal coin to enable it to teleport. Gaining water access across that lake might also be useful.

And even if you don't want to risk attacking provinces you can wander around creating unrest and ruining the vets' economies.

Basically, you need to get as large of a gem income as possible as quickly as possible and pump as many mages out as you can for research. You'll want to get up forts early to help with churning out new mages to help research. And if you can get high in blood magic you can do fun things such as summoning demon lords and sending horrors to hit the vets' provinces.

Anyway, I'd like to see you comment here even if just to say you read this, and also if anyone else has any suggestions feel free to chime in.
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Bogarus Empty Re: Bogarus

Post  Lavaere Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Well I lost my stealth units when trying to take my first region. Magics OK but I've always found it hard trying to get bloodslaves.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Well, what I'm talking about isn't really expansion strategy, it's considering purely what you're going to do when you get to fighting the vets. Until then your stealth units are going to be pretty useless as anything other than diversions.

For expansion I would probably try using the peshtsi city guard/spearmen, with archers thrown in at provinces that have soft targets in them. If you have lots of resources you could also try making heavy cavalry, but it looks a bit more expensive than it's worth honestly.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:11 pm