Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+2
P3D
rdonj
6 posters

Tactics and Strategy

rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Tactics and Strategy Empty Tactics and Strategy

Post  rdonj Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:37 am

This thread is for discussion on the tactics/strategy of the vet team. Instead of multiple threads like last time, it is intended there be only one, overarching thread for all of them this time. If it doesn't work I can split the thread later and you guys can take it from there. Anyway, talk about what spells they have available, battlefield deployment, combinations they like to use. Etcetera.

Edit: Actually I recall septimius wanted this to be slightly different and include what works for you guys. So post that too if you want.
    P3D

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2009-04-01

Tactics and Strategy Empty Re: Tactics and Strategy

Post  P3D Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Hinnom (E9N4S4 bless) is using single Thug/SCs and 8-pack Dawn Guards against indies. No sacred giants yet besides the thug.

My main counter will be infantry with glaives to hurt them.
    Illuminated One

Number of posts : 98
    Registration date : 2009-03-22

Post  Illuminated One Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:19 pm

What is Caelum using?
    Darloth
    Darloth

Number of posts : 105
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Darloth Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Helheim has a F9E9N4 bless, and has so far used stealthed groups of a pair of Helhirdlings, commanded by a Helkarl and a Vanherse against me.

They can take out my PD -_-. Not that C'tis PD is great, of course.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Tactics and Strategy Empty Niefelheim

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 am

Illuminated One wrote:Hmm, I have only seen Niefel via a scout.

Niefel Jarls have good defense and very good protection, good mr, too.
    He has earth-9 and nature-9 bless so reinvig takes care of fatigue and he regens 15 hp per turn.
    However he has a high fatigue after buffing so that might be an opening.

What worked in a test of mine was spamming tangle vines (he breaks free after a turn but he can't attack and his def drops to 3) and then hitting him with my sacreds. But that's just theory, I guess I'll attack him in 127 now and find out...

Fatigue spells could work extremely well. Stellar Cascades or Ghost Grip (but his armor helps against both, probably not enough though).
    All armor negating/armor piercing spells with high damage and no mr negates. .
    Darloth wrote:Oh, the tanglevine strat works nicely. I killed some skinshifters and then a Jarl with it.

Sadly, you can only script vines for 5 rounds (and won't be in range for the first two), and they take longer than that to kill, at least with chaff level stuff/undead.

You should be aware that his buff cycle is basically two holy spells (Blessing then Holy Avenger, which is better than I thought), so he only has fatigue of around 8, and it goes usually before anything can close in. Don't rely on that.
    rdonj wrote:
    For niefelheim the previously discussed tactics for mammoth countering still apply, plus you should try to hit them with armor destroying spells. At least this will work on anything not wearing magic armor. Using fire bola-wielding commanders against them could be pretty useful. What illuminated one said was good advice as well. And if you can get high defense commanders, get them immune to cold and equipped with armor piercing/negating weapons, they could be quite useful in taking out jarls. Equipping these sorts of thugs with chainmail of displacement is highly recommended.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Tactics and Strategy Empty Caelum

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:03 am

Illuminated One wrote:
    Caelum is pretty nasty in siege defense with their ability to fly in troops and the siege/defense bonus they get.
    Agony looks like a great spell against elephants (wide area damage and fear), leaching touch and hand of death look great if you can get next to an eagle king (don't know about the touch mechanics though, if they require an attack roll they might not be that good) - Raksharya look like the perfect thugs for doing this. Arcane Bolt will kill an eagle king if it hits almost certainly and the precision is rather good. You don't have the astral but Abysia, Sauro and me have.
    Depending on what he's using lots of missiles might rout him as well. On the other hand shockwave would kill markata in droves.
    rdonj wrote:False fetters and earth meld are a good idea on mammoths. Ideally you can hold them up and kill the mammoths one at a time as they come through. You'll still take losses but not as many. Also it is a good idea to use high defense units on them, as trampling is armor piercing and defense will allow you to take less damage. It would also be good if you could cast strength-enhancing spells (strength of giants, earth might). Ideally you would also have ranged units to take some hp off of them before they get to your lines.
    Illuminated One wrote:I don't know that much about Caelum, but maybe very small squads of troops could serve as decoy for thunderstrike?
    rdonj wrote:The most effective way I found to deal with thunder strike spam is with lightning immune thugs, it doesn't take much to make thugs that can walk through anything caelum can throw at you and if you use them in small groups it will be tough for his recruitables to bring you down. Then he'll probably bring in mammoths to squish your thugs, but you already know how to fight those.

Decoying with small squads does help a lot too, especially if you can decoy with one or two high hp units. They'll draw a lot of fire but it will be hard to hit them, especially if he casts storm. And even if he does with high hp decoys it can take 2 or 3 direct hits to take them out. Decoying works best if you have some fast unit that can then run up and pummel the eagle kings in melee. I used undead cavalry, but horrors should work quite handily. I know abysia doesn't have access to nature magic, but casting swarm would be a very good way to make caelum's life harder. He won't be able to cast at your real units if he's dealing with dragonflies, plus he may end up shooting his own eagle kings as they try to defend themselves.

If you can spam undead or something that can also be useful, so long as you have decoys set up to take the initial tunderstrikes. Otherwise the thunderstrikes can take out your mages, since they can hit anything on the battlefield.
    Illuminated One wrote:I thought of Horrors before.
    But none of the flying summons work (Swarm etc).

Rdonj suggestion about the lightning resistant thugs seems best however I think our problem is the flying.
    Caelum will jump on those armies that are designed against Niefel/Hinnom and vice versa. Same goes for Helheim with stealth.
    If we let them decide where they fight we'll loose probably (Well, I'm guessing that we have more losses than the vets).

So the nations that are not to hard pressed should invest into flying/assassins/teleport/cloud trapeze stuff.
    With the first two we could spring a nice trap on Caelum and the latter can just be airdropped onto them.
    If we just kill one of his armies that's a loss of several thousands of gold and a good bunch of gems.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 am; edited 2 times in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Tactics and Strategy Empty Helheim

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 am

Darloth wrote:Helheim has a F9E9N4 bless, and has so far used stealthed groups of a pair of Helhirdlings, commanded by a Helkarl and a Vanherse against me. They can take out my PD -_-. Not that C'tis PD is great, of course.
    darloth wrote:Helheim have struck!
    Regenerating double-blessed helhirdlings, with a jarl and a something else commanding.
    Their bless is heavy fire, heavy earth, with a smattering of nature for that extra spice. Combined with their glamour and natural kickassitude, I'm very surprised one of my PD managed to kill one. Nevermind though, I'm sure it didn't cost him much.
    P3D wrote:Your chariots are size4, perhaps trample glamoured troops?
    rdonj wrote:Yes. This is actually why many people recommend using slingers when fighting flamoured units, because all it takes is one hit to get the glamour to pop, and glamour doesn't protect aggainst missiles.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:55 am; edited 5 times in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 am

Illuminated One wrote:Hmm, skip the part about using flying summons against Caelum. He has enough 100% lightning resistant guards to fry them before they can do any damage.
    Which flying summons were you refering to, I'll edit the post. Any info/tactics on Hinnom or Atlantis would be greatly appreciated.
    Illuminated One

Tactics and Strategy Empty Caelum / General Stuff

Post  Illuminated One Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:35 pm

I thought of Horrors before.
    But none of the flying summons work (Swarm etc).

Rdonj suggestion about the lightning resistant thugs seems best however I think our problem is the flying.
    Caelum will jump on those armies that are designed against Niefel/Hinnom and vice versa. Same goes for Helheim with stealth.
    If we let them decide where they fight we'll loose probably (Well, I'm guessing that we have more losses than the vets).

So the nations that are not to hard pressed should invest into flying/assassins/teleport/cloud trapeze stuff.
    With the first two we could spring a nice trap on Caelum and the latter can just be airdropped onto them.
    If we just kill one of his armies that's a loss of several thousands of gold and a good bunch of gems.

Also I think that we should keep track of where Caelums and Helheims armies are. Their position might give hints on where they strike next.

Currently Caelum has 9 eagle kings 1 prophet and 14 yazads in 127.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Tactics and Strategy Empty Hinnom

Post  Septimius Severus Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:42 am

P3D wrote:Hinnom (E9N4S4 bless) is using single Thug/SCs and 8-pack Dawn Guards against indies. No sacred giants yet besides the thug.

My main counter will be infantry with glaives to hurt them.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:18 am

Well, horrors are maybe a bit different but the entire purpose behind my suggestion for swarm was as a decoying tactic, making his mages waste time on something that is expected to die so your things that are actually intended to kill the eagle kings have a better chance to do so. That said, if he has 9 eagle kings in one province a swarm isn't even going to absorb one round of spellcasting. It would be much more helpful against a group of maybe 2-4, where you have a decent chance of them absorbing a full round of spells. If you can cast it several turns in a row you could potentially keep them occupied until your real units reach them.

It may be a bit hard to finagle this scenario though in practice, since it relies on him playing to your advantage.
    P3D

Post  P3D Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 am

Caelum has E9N4 bless.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 am

P3D wrote:Caelum has E9N4 bless.
    Interesting. I know bless effects are confered to all sacreds when a pretender has level 4 in a given path, do they also get another level of bless effects at level 8 or 9? Are some bless effects more desireable? Death level 4 vs Blood 4, etc. I know earth is pretty good for protection and so forth but what is so special about this particular combination do you think?
    Illuminated One

Post  Illuminated One Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 am

E9 +4 reinvigoration, +5 protection

N4 +5% regeneration

He has it mostly for the eagle kings imo, to keep fatigue low, although the extra prot helps a lot against archers as well.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:42 am

The n4 might be for when he starts summoning spentas, I think they're sacred. Or it could just be a magic path he wanted to pick up.
    Illuminated One

Tactics and Strategy Empty Atlantis

Post  Illuminated One Sun May 03, 2009 7:42 am

Atlantis army is mostly composed of low MR troops.
    They have cold and fire resistance but low armor.
    Blade Wind might work to some extent, magma erruption should work fine.

Any wide area mr resist spells (shadow blast) would be ideal with boosters.
    I'll forge two (Eye of the Void, Spell Focus) and keep them in the lab, if anyone can make a rune smasher, we'd have +5 pen bonus.
    Stretch

Number of posts : 136
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post  Stretch Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 am

Several nations get their own special Soulless and Londead. While most people know about Lanka's undead bandar and markata or Caelum's winged undead, few people know that Atlantis gets undead that have coral armor and weapons.

That's from the "Did you know" thread here http://forum.shrapnelgames.com//showthread.php?t=38392&page=9

Just read this today and it reminded me of an SP game I've been playing lately where I used "raise dead" instead of "raise skeleton" when there are atlantean corpses on the battlefield and was getting lots of 15 prot corpses running around. They seemed to have 7 MR instead of 10, so are more susceptible to banishing, but if you're in an atlantean province with corpses in it, if you death casters can get enough guys casting raise dead you'll have some great spammed chaff.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Tactics and Strategy Empty Niefelheim

Post  Septimius Severus Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Net wielding units such as Ermor's Retarius or independent recruitable Ithycid's seem to work well against the Jarls.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu May 14, 2009 1:16 am

Darloth, can you give us some insight into that strategy you used against Neifelheim/vets with the shades and so forth? The one that seemed to have thrown them for a loop.
    P3D

Post  P3D Thu May 14, 2009 1:25 am

OK,

can anyone give some advice how to handle Hinnom?

My troops unfortunately stand no chance to kill all those regenerating thugs, and while I have mages, whatever I try seems to be useless - high MR, partial fire and cold resistance.
    Illuminated One

Post  Illuminated One Thu May 14, 2009 4:10 am

Hmm, no idea if anything of that works.

But since you had the idea about GfH - you can cast them on a celestial master with earth boots and summon earthpower, a crystal shield could get you to earth4.

Bow of Botulf can feeblemind them after which their MR drops to sane levels (and they loose spellcasting ability). But they can parry it with their shield.
    So tangle vine them every turn.

Ghost Grip and stellar cascades. Let cheap troops delay them, and charge in with glaives/cavalry once their fatigue is high.

Thunderstrike communion (???)
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 am

I think illuminated one is pretty much on the money here. Thunderstrikes would be doubly useful as it also causes fatigue damage. Also, if they're not wearing magical armor/shields, destruction/iron bane could be very helpful. Iron bane wouldn't hurt you really, you should only be using your lightest armor units on him anyway since giants will frequently one-shot humans regardless of prot. Use tangle vines, false fetters, prison of fire, etc to hold his units back so you can gang up on them better. Weapons of Sharpness will help a lot, as will Strength of Giants. If you can get both those buffs on some glaive troops you should be able to hurt him pretty well even through the armor. Of course depending on how well-equipped they are things could change a bit.

Magma eruption is always fun. The giants could have a bit too much protection from that though. Sleep cloud would help with fatiguing them out. The rare death pick celestial master could form a communion to cast banefire. All your celestial masters can cast Manifest Vitriol. The lions that summons have a neat ranged ap attack that does fairly decent damage. Fomoria has a bunch of water gems he really doesn't need that he could pass to you for you to get some of those up Smile. If you have a decent bless, warriors of the five elements could be useful as they have fairly decent defense values and multiple attacks. Buffed with weapons of sharpness and strength of giants, they should be able to do considerable damage. Tien chi has some pretty good sacred national summons that wouldn't do to poorly either. You could also cover your army in luck... say, with Battle Fortune. It's about the best defense low hp low prot units have vs giants. Marble warriors might also give them a shot at surviving a hit.

Eventually, casting wrath of the ancestors could be useful as a delaying tactic. Fog warriors is a great spell if you can cast it.

You could also try mixing high defense thugs in with your armies, equipped with AN, AP, or just high damage weapons. If he's not got brands on everything, eye shields would help lower his damage output a bit. And make the giants much easier to hit. Xbows and staves could also be worth looking into.

Well, anyway hopefully something in there will work for you Smile.
    Illuminated One

Post  Illuminated One Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 am

Any ideas how to outfit an archdevil?

I want him to use him against Atlantis.
    My basic problem is that I'd have to decide what to leave away:

Regeneration (two options, ring of regen, shroud)
    Reinvigoration (birch boots, messenger boots, misc item)
    +MR (misc item)
    +Cold Resistance (frost brand, ring of frost, birch boots)
    Armor (boots of stone but they raise vulnerability to frost by 50% or someone else could make me a good armor)

I don't worry about luck or ethereality, because on of my nahualis can acompany and buff him.
    With flying boots I could also have a rain priest acompany him and buff frost resistance I think.

This leaves the head slot and a hand slot free, I thought about getting frost brand, eye shield and horned helmet.

Basalt Kings have Earth, Water and Fire magic.
    So frost is an issue, as is low armor (magma spells, strong troops).

I could also try to use him against Niefel but he still looks weaker than your basic Niefel Jarl.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Fri May 15, 2009 10:09 am

If you're going to have mages accompanying it and are worried about water spells, it might be best to have all the mages cold immune as well.... He has enough research that he probably has frozen heart, and may have incinerate too.

With what you can forge, I am thinking maybe shroud, boots of stone, antimagic amulet, amulet of resilience, frost brand. Or if you don't want to worry about the flying mage, replace one of the misc items with a ring. Honestly I would not be 100% happy with this arch devil with any combination of the above gear, it's going to be hard to get decent prot, mr and resistances from that.
    Illuminated One

Post  Illuminated One Fri May 15, 2009 11:03 am

Well, if there is a better way to equip him with other forges (that maybe someone else has) I'm all ears.
    Hmm, I could also leave regen and reinvig away and give him a hell sword with life drain...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 6:40 pm