Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+6
Hoplosternum
Joelz
Squirrelloid
Septimius Severus
TwoBits
Raiel
10 posters

Turn 28

Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Turn 28 Empty Turn 28

Post  Raiel Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 pm

The siege of Ashdod continues. He sent a spy to check on my forces. I re-aranged my order of battle. Nothin' new.

I've built 5 H3 priests, with 5 more on the way. Operation AshDomKill is under way.

I'm starting my 8th fortress, but I still have 400 gold left. Who wants it?

I have forged the army-luck/curse-wielder/curse-target artifact sword. It should really go to someone who's armies are big and kick ass... I'm thinking Shinuyama. Any arguments or other volunteers?

I need 643 research points to get Conjuration-9. With no forging, I have 645. So, I'll start summoning Tartarians next turn. Woot.

Which brings to mind a certain Holy Cup that was loaned out to an ally. Shinuyama. We wants our precious back... no hurry though. Unless I get really lucky, it'll be a few turns before it's NEEDED. How's that F4 mage?
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Turn 28 Empty Re: Turn 28

Post  TwoBits Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Damn, bad, stupid, stupid! Mad

OK, I'm having a hard time with Ashdod's Adons (OK, I did kill one with Mind Hunt, but the one without the Anti-magic Amulet - the others will be much harder to take down that way).

Lost everything in 320 (no place to retreat to). Once again, my mages went off the script - even after giving them 'attack one turn' orders, they still refused to cast Stellar Cascades, and reverted to Paralyze. The irony is, it worked this time! Still had little effect though, as the Adons' ridiculously high protection, combined with big time regeneration, meant I had a hard time inflicting damage, even with them out cold. Still might have worked though, until my Hydras arrived to poison my own army to death (and cause the rout). I think I'm just going to lay off the Hydras from now on Sad (I have one Snake Ring left, anyone want it?).

They Flying Adon is now in 340. I'll direct 2 Mind Hunts there (at +3 penetration until I get a Rune Smasher), but that would take a lot of luck. Presuming Fly-boy is going to wander about raiding, I'm sending three Shamans with Ethereal X-bows out to try to intercept (have to guess where he's going). Again, I know the X-bows require a MR check, but I only have to get lucky once.

If we're going for the Domkill option, Shinu and Pangaea will have to try to reduce Ashdod dominion in their territory as well. Another option would be for C'tis to abandon the siege of Ashdod, and strike north, and try to kill Ashdod's two SCs in 320, and let Shinu take over in Ashdod the next turn - their forces, with spells like Banefire, etc., are very well suited to taking out the Giants. I don't know which would be quicker though.

I have my Harbinger now, but alas, he's missing his helmet (I think in returning Shinu to Squirrelloid, the magic item transfer - Horror Helmet and Rune Smasher - got dropped/forgotten). I'd still like a Horror Helmet if one is available and can be sent this turn. Otherwise, I'm just going to forge a random helmet, and go as is, even though that's not the premium option.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:34 am

So it was a matter of range then Twobits?

How many Adon's are left out and about now? 2

Can you move to recapture your lost provinces in their wake? It looks like the Adon's did not seek to return the Ashdod last turn, perhaps it will be this turn, or they are waiting for an expected break out? Perhaps Ashdod is attempting to pester us into breaking the current siege.

C'tis, are you giving Caelum quarter? If not, Ulm may be a good candidate from which to launch a small campaign of reconquest.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 am

Septimius Severus wrote:So it was a matter of range then Twobits?

Can you move to recapture your lost provinces in their wake? It looks like the Adon's did not seek to return the Ashdod last turn, perhaps it will be this turn, or they are waiting for an expected break out? Perhaps Ashdod is attempting to pester us into breaking the current siege.

C'tis, are you giving Caelum quarter? If not, Ulm may be a good candidate from which to launch a small campaign of reconquest.

No, not a matter of range I suspect, as Stellar Cascades has a range of 30, and I did move my mages forward for one round. Maybe the AI doesn't like casting AoE spells on only small number of units? Either way, unless I could actually have fatigued them to death, it was irrelevant, as I did paralyze them, but still failed to hurt them before Hydra poison took its toll Sad

I am not in a position to recapture my provinces immediately - Ashdod is in 320, 329, and 340 now, blocking my northern access. He has one flying Ashdod at 340, and the other two SCs are in 320 (they attacked from 329 last turn), and may very well attack C'tis in an attempt to liberate their capital next turn.

BTW, I saw Caelum take a province from Shinu at 244 (undoubtedly coordinated between Iainuki and Squirrelloid, safely behind Ulm and Bandar lines, and hopefully in an area of neutral dominion (can Caelum build a temple there? Maybe they should hire the Armored Fist of God from Pangaea?). Well, at least we're making the effort to keep Caelum in the game for now.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 am

TwoBits wrote:
    Septimius Severus wrote:So it was a matter of range then Twobits?

No, not a matter of range I suspect, as Stellar Cascades has a range of 30, and I did move my mages forward for one round. Maybe the AI doesn't like casting AoE spells on only small number of units? Either way, unless I could actually have fatigued them to death, it was irrelevant, as I did paralyze them, but still failed to hurt them before Hydra poison took its toll Sad

I am not in a position to recapture my provinces immediately - Ashdod is in 320, 329, and 340 now, blocking my northern access. He has one flying Ashdod at 340, and the other two SCs are in 320 (they attacked from 329 last turn), and may very well attack C'tis in an attempt to liberate their capital next turn.

BTW, I saw Caelum take a province from Shinu at 244 (undoubtedly coordinated between Iainuki and Squirrelloid, safely behind Ulm and Bandar lines, and hopefully in an area of neutral dominion (can Caelum build a temple there? Maybe they should hire the Armored Fist of God from Pangaea?). Well, at least we're making the effort to keep Caelum in the game for now.
    How soon before you can get forces into adjacent provinces and recapture?

Well, that is good. So Caelum can stay alive in that area should the original provinces fall. As a flying nation, they may be able to attempt a reconquest from that distance.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 am

Well I took 245 from TC and am in position to attack the TC cap.

Agartha, looks like you failed to lay seige or were routed when you attempted to take TC's fort in 228, I see both forces have been reduced. I assume you will keep trying. In the meantime, if you agree, me and Abyssia can attempt to take the cap. Abyssia, are you in 211 and ready to go? If so, shall I try first? I've got around 240 units, more in the rear vs 120 and PD in the cap. If you have more troops, you may wish to strike first.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 am

So, Iainuki's orders for Shinuyama didn't occur because of a CD key violation (he played this turn and Caelums...). I didn't even think about that before. Ew.

So tell me what i'm supposed to be shipping where and i'll get them out.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 am

Ok, nothing really exciting this turn. Taking back a number of provinces lost to independents.

Lost Giant's Rest to a revolution (ow?) - i don't know if that means I lost units who were there or what, and don't even know what units would have been there. Reclaiming it and 2 of 3 other provinces i plan on nabbing in the not-too-distant future.

Regarding getting into play against Vanheim/Marignon - i think the only feasible option for me at this point is if I can be allowed a corridor down through the approximate middle of the map. Basically, I need to get my existing battle mages and army into play, especially the mages, and that means going south with them somehow.

Speaking of mages - building temples/lab near ashdod and switched the remainder to preaching. There should be a lot of dominion spread checks from me this next turn.

I have 2 rune smashers and a horror helm i know i'm supposed to be shipping, and forging 2 more rune smashers this turn.

My immediate goals are to ramp up my research, I seem to be horribly short on mages, probably because i need them for virtually everything.

The last turn having failed to occur, I have some extra gems at the moment, although I am sure I will use them up shortly. Between temples/lab and lots of unit buying, I did manage to use up all the cash though.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:23 am

The Horror Helmet and one Rune Smasher go to Pythium, and I think the other RM goes to Arco.

Regarding retaking provinces lost to Ashdods SCs, it'll likely be a couple of turns, especially depending on what the Adon at 340 does. Next turn, I should know more (cause maybe I'll get lucky with a Mind Hunt, or maybe C'tis will kill the two Adons in 320 if they attack him).
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:54 am

Viccio, if you won't be taking back 158, I could can use it as a mid map base primarily against Marginon.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:02 am

Squirrelloid wrote:Ok, nothing really exciting this turn. Taking back a number of provinces lost to independents.

Lost Giant's Rest to a revolution (ow?) - i don't know if that means I lost units who were there or what, and don't even know what units would have been there. Reclaiming it and 2 of 3 other provinces i plan on nabbing in the not-too-distant future.

Regarding getting into play against Vanheim/Marignon - i think the only feasible option for me at this point is if I can be allowed a corridor down through the approximate middle of the map. Basically, I need to get my existing battle mages and army into play, especially the mages, and that means going south with them somehow.

Speaking of mages - building temples/lab near ashdod and switched the remainder to preaching. There should be a lot of dominion spread checks from me this next turn.

I have 2 rune smashers and a horror helm i know i'm supposed to be shipping, and forging 2 more rune smashers this turn.

My immediate goals are to ramp up my research, I seem to be horribly short on mages, probably because i need them for virtually everything.

The last turn having failed to occur, I have some extra gems at the moment, although I am sure I will use them up shortly. Between temples/lab and lots of unit buying, I did manage to use up all the cash though.
    Don't forget Admiral Noob, you are charged with taking all the sea provinces and ousting Vanheim from them. Smile
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:15 am

Squirrelloid wrote:So, Iainuki's orders for Shinuyama didn't occur because of a CD key violation (he played this turn and Caelums...). I didn't even think about that before.

We must have Iainuki to cover for Abyssia, so if there is going to be a CD key issue, Caelum needs to either be returned to its owner or handed to someone else.
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  Joelz Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:44 am

Another normal turn here.
    Captured a province from T'ien Ch'i and Vanheim.

T'ien Ch'i's god attacked me in Sleepy Wolds (209). Killed about 16 of my units first, but when one of my mages started spamming earth grip she couldn't do a thing. She had very high defence so my troops could barely hurt her, but atleast managed to give her an affliction "chest wound", rising her melee encumbarance to 11.

Attacking Faldenburgh (96) and Gent (98) which are both conrolled by Vanheim. Next turn I will be freeing Caelum's fort in Gent (98) from the Vanheim invaders IF he doesn't storm the fort. If everything goes well I might be able to free Caelum (84) 2 turns from now.

Also attacking Bogger Wold (132) which is controlled by the independents. That would give me a safe passage straight to Mician Marches (109) which holds one of Marignons forts. If he doesn't send a force to defend it this turn I'll start sieging it.

Oh yeah, found a new air site which gives me 1+ to my air gem income which is now 5+ a turn.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:54 am

I have not been having any problems with CD keys so far. And I have a spare email address, although I don't think that is a problem usually.... But Caelum probably should go to someone else as I already have two powers....
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  Joelz Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 am

Just checked the score graphs, Eriu seems to be down to 0 province and 1 fort Very Happy
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 am

If need be, I can probably play Caelum for awhile, especially as they are on the decline. I have two CD keys and an alternate email address.
    iainuki

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2009-07-23

Post  iainuki Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:00 am

I'm so sorry, I didn't even consider that this would happen because Hoplo wasn't having problems. I know this sucks, but I would actually like to request a rollback because it wouldn't matter if Caelum had staled, but obviously it does matter for Shinuyama.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 am

Septimius Severus wrote:Don't forget Admiral Noob, you are charged with taking all the sea provinces and ousting Vanheim from them. Smile

Sure, but that doesn't help me move my existing land armies and sorcerors somewhere they can actively engage the enemy, which is the bulk of my current strength. And it'll take awhile to assemble sufficient naval power.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:55 am

Hmmm, I doubt the Vets will like a rollback. They have allowed us to play more than one power each - when they could have demanded they just stalled while we found subs.

--------- Jotun's turn report (from memory)

Marignon is coming for me. He has 150 troops led by 5 leaders (inc 1 astral mage and his scout prophet) coming from the south east and another 120 with 15 leaders - including about 10 mages! Coming from the north east.

If only we had some seeking arrows! These armies could be completely halted by enough of those and all those expensive and hard to replace mages could be slaughted out in the open. Even a few would likely kill a some of the mages and stall his advance.

But in their absence I have to accept that Jotun cannot stop these forces. Therefore I will try and run at least one stealth leader away to stay in the game. It will take him a while to stamp out all my provinces.

I can perhaps make a fight of it with my Pretender and my two equiped Thugs. I can at least cast Rain and Mist which should help vs Fire Magic and his masses of missle troops. But I urgently need some new equipment if I am to try that. Basically I need some fire resistant stuff or I'm dead, well three things to be precise Smile The number of mages means he can overwhelm me with evocation spells if I use anything that does not have fire resistance.
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Well, I've got Seeking Arrow researched. I would need about 40 nature gems a turn for 4 turns to deliver any quantity, though. But that might be worth it to save your bacon. We'd need the entire team behind the idea, though.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Having read up on what has happened this turn, I don't think shinuyama's stale turn was terribly relevant. A few items did not get out on time and a few mages were not bought. That seems to be the main effect. Since nothing actually bad happened as a result of shinuyama's stale, I am finding myself disinclined to go with a rollback. It will just slow down the game, and allowing people the possibility of redoing orders is generally a bad idea. Therefore there will be no rollback.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:27 pm

Noob Gold Total - 608,627
    Noob Gem Total - 4,034

Vet Gold Total - 202,376
    Vet Gem Total - 1,752
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Hoplo: I believe I have acouple spare Fire-Resistant items I can ship your way (Brand and Helmet and Ring, IIRC) - I kept meaning to summon another Bane Lord, but Artifacts were a higher priority.
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Septimius Severus wrote:Viccio, if you won't be taking back 158, I could can use it as a mid map base primarily against Marginon.
    i don't need this territory.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:If only we had some seeking arrows! These armies could be completely halted by enough of those and all those expensive and hard to replace mages could be slaughted out in the open. Even a few would likely kill a some of the mages and stall his advance.

I've got Air gems for 4 Seeking Arrows, if they'd really help. Since I'm just embarrassing myself versus Ashdod up north, this would at least be a way to make me feel productive Suspect Feed me some coordinates. Oh, and feed me some more A gems everyone!

Since Caelum is almost gone, and Jotunheim under severe pressure, Ulm (Joelz), do you have a safe harbor for me to open a bridgehead in? I don't need to know this turn, but next turn, I'll be ready to go.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content