Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+5
TwoBits
rdonj
Squirrelloid
melnorjr
Raiel
9 posters

Turn 29

Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Turn 29 Empty Turn 29

Post  Raiel Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Oh boy. This game just got very interesting for me...

Ashdod tried to retake his capitol with 3 Adons and 1 Talmai (his prophet). The Marshmasters of C'tis promptly invoked curses on all four of these conceited giants. They then summoned a few swarms of useless dragonflies and 9 Water Elementals, all the while raising the dead to fight on behalf of the March of the Marshes.

The cunning Talmai was anointed not just as a prophet; he dared to invoke the immortality of the phoenix. But the Marshmasters' curse took it's toll... as the conflict continued, this false prophet received grievous wound upon grievous wound. Before being laid to rest, this Talmai was reduced to a weakened, limping, tired, one-armed, cowardly mute. The same fate claimed one of his brother Adon.

The other two Adon ramained at the back preventing the hundreds of risen dead from surrounding and dragging them down. One lost an eye and will forever cringe from battle, and both are cursed, but they live to fight another day.

Many items were recovered and will be rushed back to the nearest lab.

Sadly, this victory was not without cost: 3 members of the council of Marshmasters and their two banelord servants have perished. Some 65 useless souls have fallen to later be recalled by their Marshmaster betters.

TwoBits & Squirrelloid: You guys are up. My chaff units have fled, the Banelords rest under the earth again and C'tis will retire from the field long enough to once again rally more Marshmasters.

Last edited by Raiel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Turn 29 Empty Re: Turn 29

Post  melnorjr Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Raiel wrote:Oh boy. This game just got very interesting for me...

Ashdod tried to retake his capitol with 3 Adons and 1 Talmai (his prophet). The Marshmasters of C'tis promptly invoked curses on all four of these conceited giants. They then summoned a few swarms of useless dragonflies and 9 Water Elementals, all the while raising the dead to fight on behalf of the March of the Marshes.

The cunning Talmai was anointed not just as a prophet; he dared to invoke the immortality of the phoenix. But the Marshmasters' curse took it's toll... as the conflict continued, this false prophet received grievous wound upon grievous wound. Before being laid to rest, this Talmai was reduced to a weakened, limping, tired, one-armed, cowardly mute. The same fate claimed one of his brother Adon.

The other two Adon ramained at the back preventing the hundreds of risen dead from surrounding and dragging them down. One lost an eye and will forever cringe from battle, and both are cursed, but they live to fight another day.

Many items were recovered and will be rushed back to the nearest lab.

Sadly, this victory was not without cost: 3 members of the council of Marshmasters and their two banelord servants have perished. Some 65 useless souls have fallen to later be recalled by their Marshmaster betters.

TwoBits & Squirrelloid: You guys are up. My chaff units have fled, the Banelords rest under the earth again and C'tis will retire from the field long enough to once again rally more Marshmasters.

Nice job taking out the prophet. He could have been a problem.

News from Arco:

I'm thoroughly back in the game. no more thugs controlling any of my land, and I doubt they'll try again, I mind hunted down one of them, so he's gonna be a bit hesitant to try that again without higher MR. There is still one vanheim and one eriu thug in my land, but the turn they try anything they'll be mind hunted into the ground.

I've got an army running rampant through vanheim's land taking provinces and setting taxes to 200, and have some mind hunts available if given a target. One of my guys has 5 spell penetration too, so I can mind hunt anybody up to something like 19 MR if I have to - just got a 17 and that was without the rune smasher(thanks for it. I would love more anytime).

I'm also gearing up my research again to start getting really dangerous, and getting up a couple more forts.

So, any mind hunt targets? any army or thug in a province with no astral mages is fair game. How about vanheim's army in the sea? do they have astral mages with them?
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Also, everyone please update your research in the research thread.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:32 pm

I was about to ask if we knew what our action orders were, but you (CTis) will be retreating to a friendly province, so sure, I can be up. Now to actually look at the turn...

Bandar, I need to know if you are capable of sieging that Tien Chi fortress again this next turn.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Noob Gold Total - 641,901
    Noob Gem Total - 4,358

Vet Gold Total - 208,482
    Vet Gem Total - 1,841
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:02 pm

... Why god why don't the remote site searching reports give province numbers?

So, message, basically commander found a new magic site in Werk Enum via arcane probing. Ok then. The Werk Enum that I can find not only has no magic sites revealed, it also doesn't show it as having been searched by astral... Now i'm well and truly confused, as i cannot find another province named Werk Enum...

Edit: Finally found it - thank god for F1...
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Yeah, if they would take you to the province you found a magic site at, that would make so much more sense than the way it works now. Personally I find it much easier to remember where I have site searchers than where I'm searching for sites in a given turn.
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:49 pm

I've given Caelum's situation some thought, and it does seem salvagable. I'm going to need some support/communication from the team:

Who is occupying province 177? Are you patrolling? How much PD is there? I just need to sneak a very important unit through there. If that's not possible, what provinces are somewhat safe?

I need at least one more province to establish another fort/temple/lab. I'd prefer it to be within 3 provinces of the province I'm currently holding (244). It would be best if it is not surrounded by hostile or heavily defended by friendlies right this moment (magic movement happens before mundane movement). If 177 qualifies, that would be perfect!

I'm going to Cloud Trapeze 5 more mages out of the besieged castles this turn. That leaves 5 more mages that need saving. I'm going to be short 10 air gems to do this.

I think C'tis can handle the gold supply at this time.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Raiel wrote:I've given Caelum's situation some thought, and it does seem salvagable. I'm going to need some support/communication from the team:

Who is occupying province 177? Are you patrolling? How much PD is there? I just need to sneak a very important unit through there. If that's not possible, what provinces are somewhat safe?

I need at least one more province to establish another fort/temple/lab. I'd prefer it to be within 3 provinces of the province I'm currently holding (244). It would be best if it is not surrounded by hostile or heavily defended by friendlies right this moment (magic movement happens before mundane movement). If 177 qualifies, that would be perfect!

I'm going to Cloud Trapeze 5 more mages out of the besieged castles this turn. That leaves 5 more mages that need saving. I'm going to be short 10 air gems to do this.

6 air gems on the way.

If you want an emergency location for a fort/temple/lab/whatever, I can offer you a province in my backfield(province number 18. It's nowhere near your land, but you could cloud trapeze and it has 0 pd.Way bottom right of the field It's a swamp, so cheap/fast fort, but low income and resources). You would be right next to a fort of mine(if I can get it built) but you would have a province there. I can't gaurantee your safety in this province, as there are a couple thugs hiding somewhere in my land, but if you want it, I can try to secure adjacent lands from any vet thugs hiding around.

I could also offer a closer-to-the-front less protected province with higher income and resources if you like at prov 24, also with 0 pd.
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 pm

melnorjr wrote:
    Raiel wrote:I've given Caelum's situation some thought, and it does seem salvagable. I'm going to need some support/communication from the team:

6 air gems on the way.

If you want an emergency location for a fort/temple/lab/whatever, I can offer you a province in my backfield(province number 18. It's nowhere near your land, but you could cloud trapeze and it has 0 pd.Way bottom right of the field It's a swamp, so cheap/fast fort, but low income and resources). You would be right next to a fort of mine(if I can get it built) but you would have a province there. I can't gaurantee your safety in this province, as there are a couple thugs hiding somewhere in my land, but if you want it, I can try to secure adjacent lands from any vet thugs hiding around.

I could also offer a closer-to-the-front less protected province with higher income and resources if you like at prov 24, also with 0 pd.

O.K... those sound like options, but the southern vets seem disinclined to stretch too far north (though I KNOW they can). I hope someone in the north has something along the same lines. I'll do a detailed post of what I decide once I've given everyone a chance to chime in.

P.S. Thanks, captain!

Last edited by Raiel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I rememberred my manners.)
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:26 pm

You are quite welcome. Whatever is needed for the team.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:32 pm

OK, not much to report on Pythium's end. Took one province back from Ashdod (the flying Adon went back to Ashdod, where I believe he was one of the Adons to die), will go for another next turn.

My Harbinger is now ready to go open a beachhead in the south, and I am coordinating with Joelz (Ulm) on a suitable location. We should be getting Pythium into action down south soon.

I believe Shinuyama should take over the siege of Ashdod (so Raiel and Squirrelloid should coordinate that together), as they match up a lot better against the giant SCs than Pythium. I'll try to take back the provinces lost to Ashdod the last few turns, and focus on getting my forces to the south (time to look into command items).

Oh, I just hit Const-6, so I can start forging Air Boosters if I have enough Air gems!
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Septimius Severus Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:01 am

Thistle mace recieved, thanks Bandar.

C'tis still has Ashdod's fort seiged and other light units nearby to reinforce, but if you guys want to switch, perhaps you know better than I. I do have a force that is ready to move on Ashdod's cap, you guys let me know what I should do with it, if you don't think or don't need me to get involved I can relocate that force to assist in the siege of TC.

Bandar, what's the situation on the TC fort you were besieging in 231?

My attempted siege of TC's cap was repelled. 2 Pans killed. Lost a surprising number of troops, 140 to 44, though I suspect this was largely due to a very high PD and battle tactics, plus high quality TC melee troops.

I see Agartha has sucessfully seiged TC's fort in 228.

Abyssia are you ready to try your hand at the TC cap this turn? If not I am more than willing to try again and attempt to reduce the cap troop numbers a bit more, though I may benefit from a chance to get more troops nearby.

I saw a harbinger fly into Machaka territory and take 91 which is right near 93, Lumen (Lupus), I am worried that if I take 93, the harbinger might interfere, can you give me something more in your interior? Let me know ASAP!

More later.
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134

Post  Joelz Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:02 am

For once my turn didn't go too well.

My army attacking the Vanheim's army in Faldenburgh (96) was utterly destroyed. He used the spells mass flight and marble warriors which I hadn't expected. I didn't expect his troops to attack my archers (atleast not instantly), so my 4 indie commanders and 121 infantry all died. He lost 13 regular units and 2 magic beings (claymen) Embarassed

Caelums fortress in Gent (98) has been liberated. Moving the army to Betane (94) to pursue the fleeing Vanheim forces.

The independent province Bogger Wold (132) has been taken over by the Ulmish forces. Moving the army there to Mician Marshes (109), hopefully capturing the province. I'm a bit worried of the Angel of Fury in Marignon (82) though.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am

Joelz wrote:I'm a bit worried of the Angel of Fury in Marignon (82) though.

Angels of Fury have better combat stats than Harbingers (more HP, better attack and defense, etc.), and have Fear and Blood Vengeance, but lack the Awe and magic paths for self buffing (other than Bless).

So they could be tough against PD and regular troops with a Shield of Gleaming gold, and some mage support to buff them. Or they might be geared up as an anti-thug/SC who will go right at an enemy round one (something I considered when thinking of ways to deal with those Adons), so this might be something Arco's pretender might worry about. At least with no Air, it wont be CTing around the world, so you can at least know what's in danger, and what's out of range (for the time being).

Blood Vengeance would be nasty on low MR units though... Neutral
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:28 am

TwoBits wrote:
    Joelz wrote:I'm a bit worried of the Angel of Fury in Marignon (82) though.

Angels of Fury have better combat stats than Harbingers (more HP, better attack and defense, etc.), and have Fear and Blood Vengeance, but lack the Awe and magic paths for self buffing (other than Bless).

So they could be tough against PD and regular troops with a Shield of Gleaming gold, and some mage support to buff them. Or they might be geared up as an anti-thug/SC who will go right at an enemy round one (something I considered when thinking of ways to deal with those Adons), so this might be something Arco's pretender might worry about. At least with no Air, it wont be CTing around the world, so you can at least know what's in danger, and what's out of range (for the time being).

Blood Vengeance would be nasty on low MR units though... Neutral

Requesting screenshot on currently active SCs which are giving us problems.

Can see if I can take em
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:27 pm

By the way, the vets give their compliments to the originator of the numbness/boots of quickness idea. I don't remember if that was squirrel or iainuki, but in any case they applaud you for that very un-noobish idea.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:55 pm

JOTUN:

This could be the end of Jotun's meaningful participation in the game as the main attack on my last fort is likely to happen this turn.

If anyone has any overland attack spells the following province - Pania (102) - is a very target rich environment. It will hurt him a lot as he has lots of mages there and help me if his army / likely communion can be thinned out a bit before he attacks my fort at Dural woods. Seeking Arrow and Fires from Afar would both be very effective and should be relatively easy to cast. So if Machaka, Pythium, caelum or anyone else can caste any of these it may well turn the tide.

Turn 29 Jotun_15

I beat off his last army with big losses (for him) but this one contains 12 mages so will be a different story as he can put up a mean communion and my Scrattis just don't have the MR (even with amulets) if he tries soul slay. Thanks to C'Tis for the fire resistance items. At least my Pretender is now immune to fire and two of my Skrattis have partial protection. And thanks to Pythium for the cash which is always welcome.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:58 pm

BANDAR:

The Deva appeared to break my siege on TC's castle. Good work whoever gave him the Chest wound. He fatigued out during the fight. But with no Thugs or mages my monkeys did nothing too him and his awe, fear, cold and fire auras finally broke my forces.

I will attempt to restablish the siege this turn. If the Deva is still there this will fail but I hope he will be off elsewhere this turn.

Bandar did get a bit of luck with a Hero appearing. An E4N1 mage so very useful as I can't afford the nature gems to summon those Smile

Ulm said that Bandar would be able to take the Fort on our border. It looks empty. Can I take this? Also can I take the woods and swamp in the north so I connect?

Last edited by Hoplosternum on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Luck & Ulm Fort update)
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:38 pm

This is what I can see of Marignon, if that helps anyone.

Turn 29 Marign10
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Turn 29 Harbin10

Here is one of the Harbingers.

The Angel of Fury if I recall is equip similarly, I believe this particular Harbinger transferred a luck pendant to an Angel of Fury before it left my sights (as it used to have a luck pendant equip).
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:49 pm

do you know where that harbinger is? if it is alone/with an army/etc? I'd be happy to kill it if its not heavily supported.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Awesome, its in Wic (91) and it doesn't have any support as far as I can tell. You can actually see it on the picture above the one that holds its stats.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 pm

I suppose i should give a turn rundown.

-Tagging in for the siege of Ashdod. I doubt he'll survive my tenure. Keep the domkill pressure up, it might be faster than dropping the walls. (I'll start preaching again next turn, and of course have temples in both of my adjacent provinces now.

-An indie commander with a bunch of dai bakemono and a ice pebble staff is looking warily at TC's pretender god who broke Bandar's siege. Given the chest wound, that army may actually be able to take him... Bandar, would you like me to give it a go? Its not too late to resubmit...

-Forging 1 flaming skull, 1 flaming helmet, 1 water bracelet, and... some other stuff. Geez, i can't remember right now.

-Doing some light remote site searching (2x arcane probing, 1x auspex, 1x haruspex iirc). All my non-plains/fields are basically fully searched at this point in F/W/E/D.

-Reassigning remote searchers to research to ramp my research up. I seem to have fallen behind a bit. Immediate goal is Thaum 7 (with a probable detour to Conj for Kitsune at some point) so i can get my hands on some arch theurges.

-Building whichever of temple/lab i didn't build last turn to get access to sea fathers.

-Moving some armies around to get closer to what passes for the front lines.

-Attacking an indie ocean province.

-Likely to reassign my unit building priorities to stealthy armies so i can sneak south through allied territories while i negotiate a land route for my dai-bakemono army following the fall of Ashdod. Bandar/Ulm, can you tell me which territories have low PD and little-no patrolling so i know how i can sneak an army down there. (I'm thinking 400-500 bakemono-sho, mostly archers. If i can nab some F-random Arch theurges from pythium, I can teleport/trapeze wind guide and fire arrows onto 400+ surprise archers with a melee screen, which should be rather devastating And bakemono-sho are cheap, i should be able to build that army in ~2 turns - the commanders will take longer...).

--------

Note on the oceans - its going to take me a *long* time to get a real ocean army to the south. You might consider having someone closer to the conflict summon up the Qs o Water and going after any held water provinces SC style. (I am also nowhere close to Conj 8 yet). Basically, any water game i might have is not on the immediate horizon because its research priorities would be vastly different from what a land battle with Ashdod entailed. My evocation is basically useless underwater, while conjuration is king and i'm lacking in that department. Someone with better suited research should step up.

Basically, how far south can we get with a power that is doing ok or better, has decent-good water magic, and has conjuration at or near 8? Even a single capable water mage could summon the Qs and bootstrap into real water magic that way.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:JOTUN:If anyone has any overland attack spells the following province - Pania (102) - is a very target rich environment. It will hurt him a lot as he has lots of mages there and help me if his army / likely communion can be thinned out a bit before he attacks my fort at Dural woods. Seeking Arrow and Fires from Afar would both be very effective and should be relatively easy to cast. So if Machaka, Pythium, caelum or anyone else can caste any of these it may well turn the tide.

OK, I can drop a few Seeking Arrows there - it should be easier to kill some geezer mages than an SC Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content