Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+6
melnorjr
LumenPlacidum
Squirrelloid
Hoplosternum
TwoBits
Septimius Severus
10 posters

Turn 1

Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 1 Empty Turn 1

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 pm

This thread will hold any info/communication pertaining to the first actual game turn and can be used for expansion coordination issues if so desired.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Turn 1 Empty Re: Turn 1

Post  TwoBits Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:55 pm

As a caution, be very, very careful about trying to grab a province the very first turn. Pythium has one of the strongest starting armies (15 medium-light and 15 medium-heavy infantry), and should probably have the best luck at a random first turn strike.

Well, I've got some negative anecdotal evidence for you. The first time I tried it with Pythium, I went for a nice "safe" forest province - I mean, what could be there: barbarians? tribesmen? monkeys? Meh, no problem! That, or a big pack of blood-henge druids and Vines! Ouch!

The moral of the story is, you're almost always better off waiting to see what your neighbors are before attacking. I mean, not just to avoid any nasty surprises, but if you're like me, you're looking for provinces that can give you something you need immediately, whether it's cash, resources, or indie commanders, or some combination of the above (with my Pythium build, I'm looking for resources and commanders ASAP).
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 pm

If you are not propheting your scout then it might be worth attacking blind a decent looking province with the scout. Put him at the back with retreat orders. Then you will see the complete line out of what you face when you attack the next turn. It makes a big difference if you fight 4 or 14 Knights in a province. And you get to see if there are any nasty wizards hiding there!

Of course you lose one turn of scout movement. And there is a slight chance a wizard / long range attack will get him but you should be out of standard bow range.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:18 am

I'm reasonably certain my pretender + starting units can take a province turn 1 safely, as long as its not heavy cavalry. So forests are a good bet. I need to run some more turn 1 tests, but if everything looks good I think i'm going to go for it.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Turn 1 received. Doing standard patrol/raising taxes. Looks like we have amphibious mercs available.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Yes, I was going to mention the raise taxes/patrol thing.

if you raise taxes up to say 150% and patrol with your starting army, it gives you a nice gold boost for turn 2.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306

Post  melnorjr Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Could I ask that everyone go into their profile on this forum and set their location to the nation you are playing? It will make it easier to track who is playing what nation
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:43 pm

melnorjr wrote:Yes, I was going to mention the raise taxes/patrol thing.

if you raise taxes up to say 150% and patrol with your starting army, it gives you a nice gold boost for turn 2.

With my starting army even 120% is a risk....

Good Luck everyone Smile
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:48 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:Turn 1 received. Doing standard patrol/raising taxes. Looks like we have amphibious mercs available.

If someone isn't using all their starting cash these would be well worth having. Not worth sacrificing your start for though.

These are the good amphibious troops I believe. I have 161 spare, which I doubt will get them, but I will spend if no one else goes for them.
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111

Post  Lavaere Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Now that I've seen my start, thanks for the good setup for Bandar Log. I just hope I can get some good events and start my second fort by the 6th-7th turn.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:19 pm

The shipwreckers, led by the coral guard captain or whichever? If you see those they're good even on land and are quite worth purchasing.

If it's just the fishermen then they probably won't be that useful at the moment.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:45 pm

rdonj wrote:The shipwreckers, led by the coral guard captain or whichever? If you see those they're good even on land and are quite worth purchasing.

If it's just the fishermen then they probably won't be that useful at the moment.

It is the Shipwreckers, and they would be well worth getting our hands on. I don't have the gold left over for them though.

No raising taxes on my end - I can't afford a hit to income and resources if patrolling fails.

And no first-turn attack on my part, not after the "blood-henge druid" incident during testing Sad I should be able to hit two provinces (depending on indie opposition, but I have a lot of choices) on turn two.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:39 am

I'm sending my harpy (stealth +20) to v3, following melnorjr's attack plan. I should reach their cap by turn 3. If needed elsewhere at v2 perhaps, just let me know.

Forging a rawhide shield for my pretender.

If someones going to bid on the merc, please post on the appropriate thread. I can't this turn, I don't have enough gold either.

At some point, when I can get some more forts up perhaps, I plan on using dryad led teams of revelers to disrupt vet economy, cause unrest, while doing a bit of stealth preaching to lower dominion.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:42 am

I also have fast map move stealthy preachers, If you need an extra push let me know.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:56 am

Ew. Druids. I ran 20 turn 1 tests and ran into amazons with a priest and lizard riders once. That was disastrous. 1/20 chance of failure is probably too much risk, so that sounds like tax and patrol turn 1 for me (sigh, what I really need is *resources*). I can handle 130% tax, but I doubt my starting units can handle 150% tax. So be it.

I plan on expanding with my GK towards and into the sea asap, since he's at far less risk against aquatic indies (no missile weapons and few heavy cavalry). Also, it means I don't need to divert resources for troops to Kappas to expand into the ocean.

Question 1: Is it more worthwhile to send an early army towards the vet player, or use my early (weaker) army to collect my rearmost territories and be able to send stronger armies towards the vet (and in closer succession to each other at that)?

Question 2: I see a cloud castle 2 territories to my E and a crown to my NW - do those represent anything in particular?
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134

Post  Joelz Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:30 am

Is there anybody else who would be interested in bidding on the mercenary? I have about 330 spare gold and an extra commander wouldn't hurt since I can't recruit many soldiers due to the huge resource cost.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 am

Joelz wrote:Is there anybody else who would be interested in bidding on the mercenary? I have about 330 spare gold and an extra commander wouldn't hurt since I can't recruit many soldiers due to the huge resource cost.

Well I can't match that but I think they are definitely worth it. They should get you a couple of sea areas (but you only need one) and that kick starts your sea expansion.

I know we have an aquatic nation on each side but we don't want to leave it all up to them as its still takes cash and leaders to go that way.

Ulm is likely to have the cash to keep buying the aquatic troops (at least at the start) once in the water to fund expansion.

Not sure how much you should bid. Everything (330) would almost certainly get them. But I doubt the Vets will bid highly on them as they are only really useful to two of their powers. So you could probably get away with a less???
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 am

You might just be better off at using them to clear high-resource territories around your capital first, to jump-start your expansion - they make superb heavy infantry, even on land.

If they're still holding of after grabbing one or two land provinces, maybe consider grabbing some sea? If not, try to get them killed off so the vets can't use them later.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:04 am

Squirrelloid wrote:Question 1: Is it more worthwhile to send an early army towards the vet player, or use my early (weaker) army to collect my rearmost territories and be able to send stronger armies towards the vet (and in closer succession to each other at that)?

Question 2: I see a cloud castle 2 territories to my E and a crown to my NW - do those represent anything in particular?

Yeah, I'm interested in these answers too. I mean, you don't want to let the vets grab too much territory and set up shop too close to your capital. But then you don't want to have your whittled down starting army destroyed, and leave an open path back to your heartland.

Those who played in previous incarnations of N vs V, what where your recollections on how the opening few turns played out?

Regarding question two, I've seen some of those crowns scattered about the map. Aren't they for marking victory conditions? But I didn't think we were playing with victory conditions...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content