Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+6
Raiel
rdonj
Joelz
TwoBits
Hoplosternum
Squirrelloid
10 posters

Turn 3

Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Turn 3 Empty Turn 3

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:22 am

Captured both attacked provinces as expected with only a single loss (sadly, it was a dai-bakemono). My marching orders for the turn:

First note that I am planning on adhering to the suggested expansion diagram depicted in the maps thread.

GK headed to 334 to deal with 20 lion tribe warriors and archers (trivial). He sadly acquired a limp fighting this past turn, but that won't matter much once he gets under da sea because everything's so much faster than him anyway. (I'm not sure how a ghost limps, but i'll take their word for it). Even with a limp he's plenty scary. And Awesome (Awful?).

297 has 40 lion tribe archers/warriors, which is probably doable with my initial army, but 278 is showing a pitiful 9 horse archers and will let me get reinforcements (not to mention increase resources available at my capitol). Sold. They wave to Pythian cataphracts before heading south.

Resources allowed me to purchase 9 dai-bakemono archers and a mage this turn. (Since no new army is going out next turn, i'll have at least 18 for army #2 going out two turns from now. That'll deal with just about anything.) Also bought PD up to 10 for both new provinces, an indie captain in the territory WNW of my capitol, and have >300 cash remaining.

Finishing Alt 1 this turn (3RP remaining) and moving remainder of RP points to Evoc. (Realized I don't really need Alt 2 if my GK is going under the sea).

Mercenaries: Congrats to Jotunheim for acquiring the elephants. May you trample many enemies with them.

Obscuro the Hidden Master is up for bid. I might be interested for the Air to do some manual site searching. See you in the merc thread.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Turn 3 Empty Re: Turn 3

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:36 am

I haven't seen the turn yet. But we seem to be doing much better in the north than the south.

Two northern pointers (Pyth & C'Tis) have 3 provinces each and big incomes. South two (Me (Jotun) & Arco) have just three provinces between them Shocked

Two northern pointer neighbours have 3 and 4 provinces (Shin & Pan). South two neighbours (Caelum & Machaka) have two a piece.

So well done the north Smile

Hopefully the Elephant mercs will turn it around and we in the south can catch up soon Very Happy

PS if you aren't looking already the Llamaserver site 'score tables' gives a nice run down of provinces, dom, army size etc of each nation. Nothing much you can't get from the graphs but as a snap shot it tends to be clearer, for trends you need the graphs.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:40 am

Hoplosternum wrote:
    PS if you aren't looking already the Llamaserver site 'score tables' gives a nice run down of provinces, dom, army size etc of each nation. Nothing much you can't get from the graphs but as a snap shot it tends to be clearer, for trends you need the graphs.

Lols. I can has victory point!
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 am

Yep, both attacks were successful, with reasonable casualties. Those two armies will join in a new attack next turn, a province (436) I'm considering a possible 2nd castle site (take it this turn, recruit another indie there to start construction, while the acolyte builds a temple and a lab).

Also, sending 39 gladiators and 5 medium-heavy infantry at the juicy farm province due east of my capital (342), guarded by heavy cavalry and hangers on in the 30-50 range (thankfully, gladiators are vicious, high moral, and expendable). That army is a total one-off, but the income spike (once my dominion starts spreading a bit, damn unlucky temple-check roles!) should be tremendous.

Income now is nearly 1000gp a turn, and should only climb as dominion spreads, so castles and other infrastructure should be no problems.

The worry is my total lack of early game magic research - even when I've recruited a mage, I've used him as a field commander (and I'll likely do it again next turn). I'm really hoping Ermor is in the top Vet position, as I can probably scrape by with Holy magic until my research picks up (which it should, once I start cranking out Arch Theurgs every turn, and have other fortresses up).

Regarding the Vets, any intel yet? I don't know who Vet #1 is yet, but I should next turn - in any event, he hasn't expanded into any of the provinces to the west of his capital - good news me, but maybe not for C'tis.

Squirrelloid - if you see any Wolf Tribesmen or some other interesting indies (ones that will help me diversify my magic faster) to the south of the "yellow line", I'll make it worth your while if you let me grab them Smile
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:06 am

Hoplosternum wrote:PS if you aren't looking already the Llamaserver site 'score tables' gives a nice run down of provinces, dom, army size etc of each nation. Nothing much you can't get from the graphs but as a snap shot it tends to be clearer, for trends you need the graphs.

How does the Army Size table work? It says Pythium has 160, but I know I have less than 80 individual units. Is it literally measuring size - an elephant (size 6) and a human (size 2) would equal 8?

Arco and Bandar, what happened? Were there military defeats, or were you just holding off a turn?

C'tis - what's your income secret? Are you still taxing and patrolling?
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  Joelz Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 am

I managed to grab the province 159. Unfortunately 167 managed to kill several of my infantry and rout them. This turn I'll be attacking 167 (again) and 183.
    159 seems to contain a magic site "Plain of Perpertual Drought" which increases heat and yields 1 fire gem a turn. Also recruiting my first Master Smith.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 am

TwoBits wrote:
    Hoplosternum wrote:PS if you aren't looking already the Llamaserver site 'score tables' gives a nice run down of provinces, dom, army size etc of each nation. Nothing much you can't get from the graphs but as a snap shot it tends to be clearer, for trends you need the graphs.

How does the Army Size table work? It says Pythium has 160, but I know I have less than 80 individual units. Is it literally measuring size - an elephant (size 6) and a human (size 2) would equal 8?

I believe it simply is size yes. And I think it is exactly the same as the graphs will show you. Just in a more user friendly exact number.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:50 am

Hoplosternum wrote:
    TwoBits wrote:

I believe it simply is size yes. And I think it is exactly the same as the graphs will show you. Just in a more user friendly exact number.

Yes.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:56 am

Huh, I never knew the army-size graph actually took the size of the units into account, as opposed to just a tally of how many individual units. Seems there's always plenty new to learn Wink
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:24 am

TwoBits wrote:

Arco and Bandar, what happened? Were there military defeats, or were you just holding off a turn?

Heh... I'll be patrolling my home province at 200 tax until turn 10, most likely. This turn I'm starting a (4-turn) fort construction in the province to the north of my capitol and I'll be starting another next turn in the province to my south. Barring intervention by the vets, I'll have forts up on turn 7 and 8.

Thank you, Ulm (Joelz?) for the financial support. One more turn of that will definitely help me stay on track... I'll let you know if I need more, but I shouldn't.

I'm sending my pretender to the south (324) against horse tribe calvaries and my first expansion army is taking on a few barbarians to the northwest (353).
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:42 am

TwoBits wrote:

Annoyingly, I have to hold off on my expansion till turn 3. I can only afford two elephants in turn one, and my starting army is just sad, so I have to wait till turn three to send an army off. But don't worry, this is figured into my expansion rates. It'll pick up next turn.

And nice job c'tis. top income and army size both, and up there in provinces and dominion.

Status: Expanding into prov 43. research and scout continuing, no sighting of the enemy.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Attacking 30 & 42 this turn. I can see a black candle....
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:55 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:Attacking 30 & 42 this turn. I can see a black candle....

Hey, just remember, that might be from an ally Wink

By the way, we need intel ASAP - what did the scales look like? I mean, we can probably wait until next turn to start getting some definitive answers (I should know who Vet 1 is next turn), but every little bit helps.

Septimius, has your harpy found anything yet?
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Changed new research target to Conj instead of Evoc. Figure I can blast up to Conj 4 first and that'll let me start peaking with Tiamat's a little earlier, then push evocation.

81 gold bid on Obscuro (adding that to merc thread as well).

Turn submitted.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:43 pm

TwoBits wrote:

By the way, we need intel ASAP - what did the scales look like? I mean, we can probably wait until next turn to start getting some definitive answers (I should know who Vet 1 is next turn), but every little bit helps.

Septimius, has your harpy found anything yet?
    Vet 3 is T'ien Chi' (of course I already know this but I have to pretend like I don't. Ethics and such.Smile)

My harpy came up 1 prov short of their cap and witnessed a battle between TC and indies (see details in the approriate thread). Can't see what's in the cap at the moment though.

All three of my attacks succeeded, though my Gorgon did recieve an affliction. Not a big deal as the gorgon has recuperation, though it might not be wise to risk another attack with the gorgon next turn.

Edit: Attacking indy provinces 289, 298, and 313. I see Agartha! Province 272 (my route to vet 3) contains about 50 longdead and ghouls, either I'll go around em or through em!
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:33 pm

What injury did your Gorgon receive? It may not harm her ability to take another province next turn - she flies, so just find one with really weak opposition - once you've got main expansion armies out, best use her to tackle easy opposition to fill in the gaps and save time for your main armies.

I'm still interested in how Pangaea (with it's crap starting army) grabbed two other provinces (not counting the one the gorgon snagged) on the 2nd turn - Severus, what was your secret? You must have somewhat lame scales, what with an awake goddess - were one turn's worth of maenads enough to put you over the 2nd province hump?
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:48 pm

TwoBits wrote:What injury did your Gorgon receive? It may not harm her ability to take another province next turn - she flies, so just find one with really weak opposition - once you've got main expansion armies out, best use her to tackle easy opposition to fill in the gaps and save time for your main armies.

I'm still interested in how Pangaea (with it's crap starting army) grabbed two other provinces (not counting the one the gorgon snagged) on the 2nd turn - Severus, what was your secret? You must have somewhat lame scales, what with an awake goddess - were one turn's worth of maenads enough to put you over the 2nd province hump?
    Minor injury. I'm taking the weakest of this turns indies using my Gorgon and a few distracting troops.

I had practiced splitting up my army and following Rael's guide, using the gauntlet and other formations. I had no maenids before this turn. I instead purchased a heirophant, 10 minautaurs, and maybe 8 satyrs, then split my forces in twain. I then attacked the easiest targets.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:49 pm

TwoBits wrote:

It's very unlikely to be Arco as its next to his (the Vets) capital. I can see it via my

Good idea about looking at the scales. One black candle, one death skull Very Happy

Ermor? But it could be Vanheim (death won't hurt their mages much). Or anyone really that is gambling on the game being short.
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111

Post  Lavaere Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:08 pm

You know what really sucks, it happened again. All the test games go perfectly, do it in MP game attacking with same force. And I lose the battle Sad so monkeys are once again behind the ball in this game.

On a different note I have sent C'Tis 300 gold this turn. Leaving me with 200 gold after all my purchases. So if people are wanting funds they had better say so before the next turn. And I'll send out what I can on Turn 4
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 pm

Captured 96 but took a hit to my flying melee fighters (expected), research going well, taking 104 which is heavy infantry with archers and elephants, going to try and save up my flyers for when they are needed, going to fast tech to 5 for storm + storm power + orb lightning, and building expensive heavy casters. Sorry to be a noob but, do you guys think it will be worth it to purchase the aged but far superior casters as opposed to the younger cheaper less powerful ones ? considering we plan this will be somewhat of a blitz?
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Almost certainly the aged but better mages are the way to go. You can only build one commander a turn in your capital. Unless you need a none magical troop leader it is usually best to buy the best so long as you have the cash.

Your ideas on using battle magic will work much better with the top mages. It isn't just the ability to cast the better spells but even casting the lower ended ones is better (from fatigue) with stronger mages. Many spells get a damage boost at higher levels too (the + sign after the damage).

So buy the best if you can.
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 am

No need to apologize... noobness is our common bond!

To answer your question: YES! They are better at research, have a chance for some usefull random paths and are a FAR superior combat mage... you've got frost options as well as lightning with the geezers. I do hope you chose growth scales, though, to lessen the chance of afflictions.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 am

Just waiting on Septimius... Geez, i think he's getting jealous that I've been making the turn threads. Want to make sure you know the instant the new turn gets sent, eh Sept? Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content