Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+6
Pelthin
viccio
Hoplosternum
rdonj
Septimius Severus
Squirrelloid
10 posters

Turn 7

Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Turn 7 Empty Turn 7

Post  Squirrelloid Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Ugg... I should have left already. Oh well, here's a turn 7 thread, edit to follow.

Action Report
    4 Provinces captured, 2 total casualties. Good turn, too bad only one of them was a decent income province.

Discovered a water magic site... which is probably the least useful to me. Well, its something, and its even a halfway decent one (Mercury Pond, 2w/turn). I suppose I can Voice of Apsu for more water and craft water things.

Pipsqueak occupied an Academy of War when they captured the province - anyone care to explain to me what 'military training' you receive should you enter it?

Found some water gems as an event (oh yay, more water gems).

Wait, water gems for Tiamat's... Ok, I have a use for all those!

Marching Orders
    Guerilla returns to the capitol.

Endzone moves towards my last province behind me (#286)

Pipsqueak pushes farther east to #280 - i really would like to know where Ashdod is.

Mage builds temple in future fortress site.

GK moves east to 366 with the assistance of the Lake Doom conscripts.

Set to complete Conj 3 next turn.

Moving a mage from capitol to SW of capitol for site searching. (Need to start that gem income flowing - i can dedicate more time to research once I have two fortresses producing mages).

New army moves to fortress construction site, either to reinforce the Ashdod front or to have more indies to attack.

Quartermaster
    Provide Supplies for temple
    Provide equipment for:
    1 bakemono sorceror
    18 dai-bakemono archers

13 gold remaining. Cash might be a little tight next turn...

Spies report
    Still no spies... No sign of Ashdod yet, nor Ermor in the water.

Mercenaries
    Shipwreckers and Stingers are coming back up for auction.

Last edited by Squirrelloid on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 am; edited 2 times in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 7 Empty Re: Turn 7

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 am

Such passion, such detail, such devotion, such accomplishment. Squirreloid, you may emerge our hero this game! Woe to the vets who must face you!
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:32 am

Ugg... ever have one of those days where 'last minute things' take forever? So I had glanced at the summary data, and something was bugging me, and since i'm still home (leaving soon, really!)... i opened up Dominions3 again and took a look at the map. I know where one of Ashdod's armies is.

Ashdod acquired a victory point this last turn. While not at all relevant as a victory point, its extremely useful information because it means he must have an army in #267. He acquired a second province elsewhere - presumably on his other side? (If he had two armies moving towards me I'd have seen dominion or a province he owned by now).

I predict he's going to move his army in 267 west to the wheat field, which will put him in a position to attack the province my forward army will occupy, but not to block me from moving towards his capitol. I'm slightly out of place to reinforce the territory i'm attacking this turn on my next turn (1 area too far away), but i could play raid provinces and see if he's willing to play chicken with me or not. He has to march down a line of provinces on my end, whereas I'll have my choice of targets, allowing me to hit his raiding armies with a continuous stream of armies and hopefully avoid direct conflict with my raiders.

Ok, this was longer than i expected. Leaving, really.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:58 am

My two attacks versus indies succeeded. Found two magic sites that enable recruitment of Hedge Wizards and Witches, may be nice to supplement my Pans and help with research.

Building a fort in 253 and lab in 335.

Moving into 295 this or next turn, Ctis.

Don't see Ashdod yet nor TC in neighboring provinces on my side yet, hmm, could they be moving westward as Shin suggested.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:16 am

Overall incomes as of turn 7:

Team Noob gold income: 44256
    Team Noob gem income: 222

Team Vet gold income: 19241
    Team vet gem income: 124

There were some astonishing changes this turn which I'll leave for squirrelloid's typical turn analysis, should he get a chance to do it before the next turn hosts.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 am

Well my one attack succeeded and I have a Lion Archer province with decent resources to mass archers vs Vanheim.

Vanheim's army is bigger and tougher than I can handle. But it may not be comming further my way. We have no border so unless he has scouted well he will not know if his next attacks will meet me or not.

Rather than sit in my Capital worrying I am going to continue expanding. I should be able to mass a decent Archer with Giant screen before he arrives if he comes straight for my capital.

Vanheim really wasn't the enemy I wanted Sad He has highish defence units that do a lot of damage. He can hit me easily and I can't hit him. So he can field large numbers of troops I can scarcely hurt while he will destroy even Giants very quickly. His troops would also kill off any thugs/SCs quickly unless they were well equiped. I don't have battle magic to even things up and will have to rely on indies to have a chance.

There is some risk in all three of the attacks I plan this turn. I am attacking Iron Range (65) in the north. This is really one of Caelum's but he does not seem to be anywhere near it and he can always take it later. This will allow my initial army to go round the mountains to the north rather than double back and expand south down the otherside. But Marignon might be lurking where I can't see. I don't think so though. And unlike Vanheim's troops slow firing Crossbows are much more bread and butter to high hp giants.

I am attacking Moss Wood (23). This may also be attacked by the Vanheim army. I am attacking with some Giants with Slinger back ups. If I lose those I can live with that and I would like to know if the Slingers can hurt his forces (in which case I will continue to buy them) or not.

I am also attacking Bel (5) in the south. Due to the strange connections in the south it is possible Vanheim could also appear here this turn. But from army size I don't think that is likley (most of his force is in the 'big army').

All attacks should succeed easily. It's just they might also be attacked by others....

My Bolivar disaster has really hurt me. Apart from the loss of an expansion army and the elephant mercs he guards the only good resouce province by my capital. And it's costing me as I can't build as many troops at my capital as I could in all my test games.

I have given up on saving for forts. Especially as the two fort sites I have captured are towards the enemy and so would not be safe.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:41 am

Hoplo, according to melnorjr's strategy you are to be attacking both Marignon and Vanheim. Do you feel you can handle it? Should you be pressured, Caelum can assist you, whilst Arco and possibly Machaka put pressure on Van and Marginon from the east.
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:48 am

I teke 3 territory (156 and 166 in land and 86 in sea) no casualties
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Pelthin Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:31 am

Sorry I have been remiss in keeping everyone up to date on Argatha.

I built up a sea army these past few turns, so I have enough to take Prov 215.
    I also am now casting Attentitive statue, and working for ENCH 4 to get Enliven Statue.

Gem Income:
    Air +3 month, Earth +5(my golem spell) , Nature +2.

I have like 5 scouts out and about, but I am in forests, so slow moving.

I plan to attempt to take 2 prov this turn.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:41 am

Hoplo - if attacking vanheim for you would be useless/highly ineffective, I can try to take the brunt of that fight, leaving you to focus on marignon more, although to do that I'm short on gold, as I'm getting series of unlucky occurrences ruining my expansion.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:52 am

Pythium: Got ambitious, and went for 3 provinces last turn, turned out well. But Ermor moved forward (10 Shadow Vestals in 348), and now there's a 'border'. I've occupied my side of the "yellow" line (from the maps/image page), and have only one direction left to go - through Ermor (and maybe Ashdod if he shows).

So, I've got a border running from north to south through 352, 342, 332 and 321, and behind that, I also have 316, so I'm one province distance north of your positions, Squirrelloid? That's a relief, as though I knew you were obviously expanding well, I hadn't seen you on your side of the "line", and was worried about my flank (no longer Smile ). I presume you want me to stay on my side, so as not to interfere with your maneuvers against Ashdod?

Next turn, there will unfortunately be no further attacks against indies, as all my armies are out of position, or of insufficient strength (as they may likely have to fight Ermor in the same round). But I do have 4 armies in the field, including the one with my prophet returning from rounding out my rear territories, so I will have my front vs Ermor well covered.

If there are any indies left between us (I'd really like to secure 325 if possible), I'll go for them the turn after next, and possibly launch a first, minor offensive against Ermor (we'll see what the situation looks like after next turn). Hopefully I'll dispose of my 4 field armies properly next turn, so they'll be in a position to do something useful.

So don't expect me expand all that much more (it'll be real combat for Pythium from here on out) - crap, I was hoping to make it into Tier 1 for provinces one last time Very Happy Well, grabbing up lots of territory for later use was not my job (I'm just happy that Shinuyama and Pangaea and Ulm are doing so well, as we'll be needing all that they can get soon). My job was to get into the fight ASAP, and it looks like that's about to happen. C'tis, you ready for fun on your side? Very Happy

On the plus side, not counting increased taxation, my income is number one. My capital should have 700+ resources next turn (I'm able to put an entire army into the field each turn). I'll have a second castle up next turn. I've got at least one lucky indie province now spitting out a constant stream of scouts (so hopefully my intel situation will improve rapidly). And while my research has been crap up to this point, it should start picking up very quickly soon.

So let's go to war!!! Twisted Evil
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:04 am

Melnorjr, what's your Air gem situation like (I see you still have Obscuro)? I can't remember if I sent any last turn or not.
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:46 am

Well, my expansion phase will officially end this turn... Ermor has captured 362 and 341. I have a border of three provinces with him. Depending on the bless he has for his Shadow Vestals, I should be able to win any assaults he launches this turn. We'll find out soon enough.

From the forces Ermor is showing on this side, I really think it's imperative that he be pressured from the other side within a turn or two. I may be able to hold him back for a few turns with sheer weight of numbers, but I'll need a little more time to get my research going.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:07 am

TwoBits wrote:Melnorjr, what's your Air gem situation like (I see you still have Obscuro)? I can't remember if I sent any last turn or not.

you didn't, I alchemized one this turn. I found a site that generates one per turn. I could use one for next trun so I don't have to alchemize it.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Raiel wrote:Well, my expansion phase will officially end this turn... Ermor has captured 362 and 341. I have a border of three provinces with him. Depending on the bless he has for his Shadow Vestals, I should be able to win any assaults he launches this turn. We'll find out soon enough.

From the forces Ermor is showing on this side, I really think it's imperative that he be pressured from the other side within a turn or two. I may be able to hold him back for a few turns with sheer weight of numbers, but I'll need a little more time to get my research going.

Got it. This turn, I'll be readjusting my forces. I doubt he'll attack with only 10 or so Vestals (then again, I don't know what sort of blessing he's packing), but from where he's sitting, he's looking at three empty (other than PD) provinces of mine, so he might be tempted. Now, I've got armies moving into each of them this turn, but he might not know that. I hope he doesn't - it would be nice to surprise his Vestals (who cleared out a province of 30-40 Lion Tribesmen last turn, apparently), and find out what they're all about.

In any event, I'll likely launch at least one attack against him the turn after this - like I said, I'd like province 325 (which he might not go for this turn, as it has 50 or so defenders including heavy cavalry), and if I go for it, I'd likely launch a diversionary attack to tie up any forces he might think of sending there.

In any event, I'm pre-positioning my forces for such a possibility (putting my prophet in a position to defend my "front" in case he attacks this turn, but also available to attack next turn, with another strong army on the flank available also).

In any event, Raiel, I think we need to keep in close communication regarding Ermor from now on. I believe this site has PM, maybe time to figure out how to use it. Good luck, Brother-in-arms!

Edit - in any event, I promise I will try to avoid repeating the phrase "in any event" so much in the future. Crap, I need to use the 'preview' function apparently affraid

Last edited by TwoBits on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:12 pm

melnorjr wrote:you didn't, I alchemized one this turn. I found a site that generates one per turn. I could use one for next trun so I don't have to alchemize it.

Sorry Sad That's a waste of a gem. Really though, if we as a team coordinate properly, that sort of thing should be totally unnecessary. We shouldn't let this kind of thing (small as it is, but every little bit can help) happen again.

My fault though, as it was my agreement to feed you Air gems, and I never heard that you had found another source, so I should have kept sending them. Anyhow, I'll be sure to send you one this turn, just to be safe. And continue to do so until I hear otherwise.

All the same, I hope you either get lucky next turn, or can find another source for Air gems as long as you have Obscuro. Have you asked Caelum (maybe you can PM them?)? Who else has Air gem income?

Remember, I'm likely to go to war next turn, and I may need everything I have soon Twisted Evil
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:12 pm

Twobits: I honestly don't know which province 325 is offhand, since I can't take a look at my map in game. Is it on my side of the 'line' from the maps thread proposed territory division? I'm willing to discuss it, I think I need better information on what Ashdod is doing at the moment before I can make any real decision - seeing turn 8 will probably help clarify a lot of things.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Squirrelloid wrote:Twobits: I honestly don't know which province 325 is offhand, since I can't take a look at my map in game. Is it on my side of the 'line' from the maps thread proposed territory division? I'm willing to discuss it, I think I need better information on what Ashdod is doing at the moment before I can make any real decision - seeing turn 8 will probably help clarify a lot of things.

It's on my side of the 'line' (right in front of a 'one way out' pocket-valley province at 318), so the only other person who should be concerned about it is Ermor Evil or Very Mad

I think you're fine with what you're doing - despite my earlier pre-game worries about your pretender design, you seem to be doing way more than well (I feel sorry I questioned your judgment earlier)! So I will trust your judgment now regarding your plans. Like I said, I was just a little worried I hadn't seen you yet south of the "yellow line", but apparently, you're holding an expansion line exactly one province-worth south of where I could see you.

Be aware though, I'm concentrating all my efforts at this point (unless you think I should do otherwise) due east at Ermor (with the mountains at 321 being the cut-off between us). I'm going under the assumption that you've got my southern flank secured, and will keep Ashdod out of my hair, while C'tis and I deal with Ermor.

And feel free to PM me if we need to coordinate more specifically (I've asked C'tis to do the same).
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:46 pm

TwoBits wrote: I think you're fine with what you're doing - despite my earlier pre-game worries about your pretender design, you seem to be doing way more than well (I feel sorry I questioned your judgment earlier)! So I will trust your judgment now regarding your plans.

I agree Very Happy Sorry I doubted your pretender design too. You've certainly proved me wrong thank goodness Very Happy

But now of course we all expect you to go on and win it for us - with the rest of you high flyers up north Laughing
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I am attacking Iron Range (65) in the north. This is really one of Caelum's but he does not seem to be anywhere near it and he can always take it later.
    - Holpo

It's yours, keep it, and if you need help / get attacked I can field and send and army to assist you, but let me know one turn in advance. I have a reasonable force of five hardcore battlemages with archer support and elephants to repel any attack that comes our way.

Edit - (Oh yeah my turn, duh) Took one province last turn - 114 on a direct line towards Eriu. My scout is sitting on his undefended capitol where his great sage resides. He has three castles to be sieged but considering my cheap fliers me thinks he will regret not spending that on an army instead. I can be at his cap in three or four turns and reinforce myself well every two turns after that.

Im top in research and will have Evoc 5 in two turns. (Pwnage).
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:35 pm

TwoBits wrote:I think you're fine with what you're doing - despite my earlier pre-game worries about your pretender design, you seem to be doing way more than well (I feel sorry I questioned your judgment earlier)! So I will trust your judgment now regarding your plans. Like I said, I was just a little worried I hadn't seen you yet south of the "yellow line", but apparently, you're holding an expansion line exactly one province-worth south of where I could see you.

Be aware though, I'm concentrating all my efforts at this point (unless you think I should do otherwise) due east at Ermor (with the mountains at 321 being the cut-off between us). I'm going under the assumption that you've got my southern flank secured, and will keep Ashdod out of my hair, while C'tis and I deal with Ermor.

I've been running down that line for a couple reasons. On the one hand, its been easier to send armies in other directions for faster province acquisition - and those other provinces also resulted in capturing the provinces surrounding my capitol quicker. On the other hand, this gives me a predictable defensive arrangement in any conflict with V2 (now known to be Ashdod) because he'll only see one of my provinces at any given point in time. That said, barring other demands on my military's time, I should be capturing some of those provinces shortly. (In particular, even if my current armies are all required for dealing with Ashdod, when my second fortress comes online it is well situated to spawn indie-conquering armies towards most of the provinces I haven't yet captured within my suggested expansion region.)

The particular line of provinces was chosen to maximize the probability of locating a good 3rd fortress location - for which I want to maximize resources and #neighbors.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content