Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+9
Pelthin
Hoplosternum
viccio
Skinu
Squirrelloid
Septimius Severus
rdonj
LumenPlacidum
TwoBits
13 posters

Turn 8

TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Turn 8 Empty Turn 8

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:17 pm

No major action on my point. No new provinces taken, no battles engaged. Ermor has held still (and in fact withdrawn the 10 Shadow Vestals from the 'border'). I do see ~30 units (Lion Tribe archers and Vestals, but led by a Grand Thaumaturge) in 340.

My four armies are now in position along the 'front', and I now have a choice of options - either try to take the last two indie provinces between Ermor and myself, or launch a major attack against Ermor in 348. I'll coordinate with Raiel (C'tis) to see what's the better option.

Ashdod is in 329, just two provinces south of Ermor's capital, so Ermor has no more room to expand in that direction, only towards C'tis or myself. I've noticed expansion has dropped off for many other players too, Vets and Noobs alike. The expansion phase (except perhaps in the water) is definitely coming to an end.

Second fortress is up and running. Will have a lab and a temple up next turn in a Bear Tribe province (for access to Nature (and perhaps Earth if I'm lucky) magic and extra researchers.

Unfortunately, I don't have many good locations for a 3rd fortress (Pythium seems to enjoy building expensive, 5 turn, Fortified Cities in most places Sad ) - might have to bite the bullet and plunk down the cash next turn, perhaps start one in 321 (Shinuyam, you got my back there?).
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 8 Empty Re: Turn 8

Post  LumenPlacidum Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:12 pm

HAHAHA, even when I'm lucky, the game decides to spit in my eye. I found TWO enchanted woods sites in the same province. However, this will do WONDERFUL things for my magical diversity and gem income. Had a bad fight against a province with necromancers in it, since their skellyspam and imps just overwhelmed my light infantry and spiders.

Forging a dwarven hammer so I can start up my fever fetish production, and the first of them will be almost in line with when I can recruit a good commander to put it on.

I should be starting on my third fortress next turn, assuming I left enough money for it and all the mages I'll want.

The turn after that, I'll have my second fortress up.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:44 pm

TwoBits wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have many good locations for a 3rd fortress (Pythium seems to enjoy building expensive, 5 turn, Fortified Cities in most places Sad ) - might have to bite the bullet and plunk down the cash next turn, perhaps start one in 321 (Shinuyam, you got my back there?).

If you can't avoid building an expensive city, it might be best to build one on a high income province, since the admin value will provide a significant income boost.

Overall incomes as of turn 8:

Team Noob gold income: 63145
    Team Noob gem income: 308

Team Vet gold income: 28134
    Team vet gem income: 179
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, another problem I might have with fortress placement is, if they are in proximity to one another, Fortress Cities can suck the production of neighboring provinces down to zero. No major deal, unless I find a magic site with groovy recruitable mages, in which case I might have to demolish an expensive fortress if I wanted to recruit them. Hm, I'll have to think about this...
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 am

No indy attacks carried out.

C'tis, since Ermor is blocking your route to Ashdod, I remind you, you are free in accordance with melnorjr's strategy, to take provinces 317, 303, and 306. 317 is on your side of the expansion line anyway.

Attacking indies in 295,266, and 311 (unless C'tis wants it). All quiet on my front. Ashdod and TC are currently two provinces away.

When I created those divisions in the map, the point noobs had a bit less land expansion room than the rest, though more accessible water provinces. It was also created to be 2 noobs on 1 vet at each level. However, feel free to exchange provinces with your northern (or southern neighbors as the case may be) to get some more room if you need it. The same holds true for everyone else.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:18 am

One of my three bids for expansion failed. Can anyone see where that was? My god is on the high score list - is s/he dead?

My high dominion leads me to believe my pretender is very much alive. Which leaves Pipsqueak to have been eaten by Ashdod unexpectedly, or an indie assault that succeeded somewhere. Sigh, won't get to look until sunday.

Twobits: The swamp that's theoretically mine on our border is inconsequential to me - go ahead and take it. I sort of wanted a fortress where Pipsqueak was attacking, at least eventually, which means i'm going to want the adjacent provinces (and I have no idea where those numbers Sept tossed out are at the moment). But the turn isn't due till Tuesday, so I'll PM you on sunday/monday when i can see what's going on.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:02 am

Three indie attacks, and my first fail! Sad

Armies moving steady towards 177 - the Choke for Eriu. The game GAVE me a fortress! The Luck of it! And my own gets build in two turns - Mage spam hardcore. Next turn I research evoc 5, const 1, and conj 1. Yay!
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 am

3 provincer taked and 2 soldiers lost

This turn i can send gold, i start the building of my first fortress
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:14 am

Battle is joined with Vanheim. My Slinger force got masacred for little reward by Vanheim's army. Lost 32 Giants and Slingers and killed 6 of 63 Vanheim troops Sad Well I wasn't expecting to do well but really his forces are hard for me to hurt.

I enclose a map. The main Vanheim army is now two moves away from my capital. I can't really get the troops to stop a siege. But I should be able to break it a turn or two later.

I am pulling most troops back to my capital. Hopefully he will move to destroy my Temple which will delay him a turn and hopefully cause him some more casualties.

My province count is likely to go down in the next few turns. But I am still in and should recover unless he sends a lot of reinforcements. But I could really do with some good news from Arcos side of the map.... Hows it going over there?

[img]Turn 8 Jvv_tu11[/img]
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Pelthin Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:37 am

Everything is chugging along, anyone need moola or gems?

I a beginning my trek into the water and hope my pale ones hit the side of a barn to claim one prov.

Smile
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:04 am

Squirrelloid wrote:One of my three bids for expansion failed. Can anyone see where that was? My god is on the high score list - is s/he dead?

My high dominion leads me to believe my pretender is very much alive. Which leaves Pipsqueak to have been eaten by Ashdod unexpectedly, or an indie assault that succeeded somewhere. Sigh, won't get to look until sunday.

Twobits: The swamp that's theoretically mine on our border is inconsequential to me - go ahead and take it. I sort of wanted a fortress where Pipsqueak was attacking, at least eventually, which means i'm going to want the adjacent provinces (and I have no idea where those numbers Sept tossed out are at the moment). But the turn isn't due till Tuesday, so I'll PM you on sunday/monday when i can see what's going on.

The good news is, your god is still alive Smile Don't know what the bad is.

Thanks for the offer of the swamp. Manual says I can build a Swamp Fort there, which may make it a good third or fourth fortress position. And yeah, we can coordinate more on our 'border' and joint operations when you're back from the 4th.
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111

Post  Lavaere Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm a not so happy camper, my army was all destroyed by indies again.
    On a good note I'll have 2 more forts in 4 turns time, just in time for Ashdod to come a knockin
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:24 am

Hoplosternum wrote:Battle is joined with Vanheim. My Slinger force got masacred for little reward by Vanheim's army. Lost 32 Giants and Slingers and killed 6 of 63 Vanheim troops Sad Well I wasn't expecting to do well but really his forces are hard for me to hurt.

I enclose a map. The main Vanheim army is now two moves away from my capital. I can't really get the troops to stop a siege. But I should be able to break it a turn or two later.

I am pulling most troops back to my capital. Hopefully he will move to destroy my Temple which will delay him a turn and hopefully cause him some more casualties.

My province count is likely to go down in the next few turns. But I am still in and should recover unless he sends a lot of reinforcements. But I could really do with some good news from Arcos side of the map.... Hows it going over there?
    Well our first tangle with the enemy it would seem. Hoplo, if you can post some details of the battle tactics Vanheim is using on the approriate thread that may be helpful, perhaps even a screenshot of his initial troop deployment. You can coordinate to give Caelum a corridor/border with Vanheim as well to increase the pressure aside from Arco helping on the other side.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:13 pm

In the next turn or two I'll be sending a squad of revelers led by a Dryad towards the south and Vanheim to stir up some mischief. They'll be useful for causing unrest, lowering dominion, and capturing weak unfortified provinces. Once my other forts are up, I'll be dispatching more of these gangs to help the south and other areas. I can also send more powerful groups of Centaur Warriors and such wherever they might be needed. Afterall, we don't want the vet's Operation Moxibustion Smile to suceed.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Holpo-

Im building a force to send down to help you out a bit, three elephants and ten archers, ill send more in time as a free fortress spawned on my southern border.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:33 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:Battle is joined with Vanheim. My Slinger force got masacred for little reward by Vanheim's army. Lost 32 Giants and Slingers and killed 6 of 63 Vanheim troops Sad Well I wasn't expecting to do well but really his forces are hard for me to hurt.

[img]Turn 8 Jvv_tu11[/img]

Hoplo, I don't have a whole lot of stuff sitting around available to send your way. My army is relatively small and I'm not really strong till year 1.5-2. I could hit vanheims right flank with about twenty elephants and a few mages if I need to though. It would hurt my expansion a good deal, but if it's needed, I could do it.

On that note, I'm going to the I need gold thread to see if I get some troops up to try and hit vanheim's back. I'm really strapped for cash right now.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Action Report:
    GK + associated conscripts broke at the same time as their triton adversaries, and since they were closer to the edge, they managed to retreat before the very last triton (yes, even my limping GK), leaving a single triton warrior in the province. Last time I send an army with my GK...

Pipsqueak and Endzone were both successful. Pipsqueak spots Ashdod's territory in 284.

Conjuration 3 complete.

Marching Orders:
    Gorilla acquires additional troops at capitol and moves to new castle site.

Army whose name I'll have to look up (at new castle site start of turn) attacks independents N and E. (#292)

Endzone moving into the wheatfield in Bandar Log's territory to clear it of indies. (#261)

GK reattacking same province. Conscript leader recruiting some better troops...

Pipsqueak contemplating attacking ashdod in 284 or indies in a nearby province. (advice? scouting reports?)

Quartermaster:
    Materials for a Laboratory
    Equipment for:
    18 dai-bakemono archers
    1 bakemono sorceror
    5 triton troopers
    Scattered minor PD

Note: Fortress 2 completes next turn.

Espionage report:
    Ashdod located in 284. Ashdod did *not* take the wheat field S. of my current position and his army is nowhere to be seen.

Does anyone know which 2 provinces Ashdod captured last turn or where their armies are?

Pipsqueak has a mere 7 dai-bakemono archers + 20ish bakemono-sho (ie, stealthy) troops. Might I surprise him by attacking with an army that only looks 7 strong?
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:39 pm

My understanding of stealth is that it only prevents enemies from seeing the unit if they and their leader are "Hiding" or "Sneaking" (think about woodsmen archers and blowpipes); it is glamour that makes a unit invisible to mundane scouting regardless of action. I think he'll receive an accurate report since your whole army isn't sneaking.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Yes.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Annoying, but predictable I suppose.

Hmm.. i suppose that means I should just capture another Indie province and see what he does...
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 pm

OK, rejiggering my turn. I will not directly attack Ermor just yet, but will attack the last two indie provinces between us. That's not to say there might not be conflict, if Ermor goes for the same territory. Mainly though, I have scouts arriving on the scene, and I'd like to wait one more turn to develop a better intelligence picture before I go on the offensive for real.

Also, I decided to recruit more units with a high resource to gold ratio (as opposed to my more elite troops). I'll still have plenty of heavy infantry coming out next turn though (just not with the maximum stats), and will also have some extra gold (369) to send to melnorjr at Arco to help out in the South. Hopefully, this isn't a matter of robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I think a collapse in the south would be very bad news...
    Stretch

Number of posts : 136
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post  Stretch Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:02 am

Holposternum - if Vanheim is running lots of high defense units, those little vaettis can really do some damage when they gang up (they're very small, too). You just have to keep them from getting the brunt of the charge and taking evocations damage. They can fill in the gaps on your giant's squares if you place them right (2 vaettis + 1 giant per square instead of 1 giant per square).

Also, if you time boulder throwers right, they'll come up behind your first wave of giants and throw 2 boulders before attacking. Glamour doesn't stop ranged weapons, and when a boulder hits anyone but a skinshifter it generally goes splat.

You might also toy with small flanking squads of wolf vaettis just to screw with his commanders. Or some nice blood magic. Or death mist evocations. Or poison evocations. Splash damage is not much of a big deal to your units as compared to his.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:16 am

Thinking ahead to next turn...

C'Tis, are you ready to start pressuring Ashdod? Because i've got a border with him now, which means there will almost certainly be action in the near future on my end. Forcing him to split his forces would be nice. Probably not this turn, but i expect an army of his in plausible position to do something or at least move to threaten something next turn.

Alternately, pressuring Ermor to help out TwoBits is a perfectly reasonable thing to do as well - I think I can hold Ashdod by myself if I have to - at least for a little while.

So, fellow top nations, strategic decision time. Kill Ermor and distract Ashdod? Or distract Ermor's and kill Ashdod? (Septimius, you're welcome to join the Ashdod bashing squad - unless it looks like your side center nations are ready to go after V3, in which case proceed with the plan.)
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 am

Stretch wrote:Holposternum - if Vanheim is running lots of high defense units, those little vaettis can really do some damage when they gang up (they're very small, too). You just have to keep them from getting the brunt of the charge and taking evocations damage. They can fill in the gaps on your giant's squares if you place them right (2 vaettis + 1 giant per square instead of 1 giant per square).

Also, if you time boulder throwers right, they'll come up behind your first wave of giants and throw 2 boulders before attacking. Glamour doesn't stop ranged weapons, and when a boulder hits anyone but a skinshifter it generally goes splat.

You might also toy with small flanking squads of wolf vaettis just to screw with his commanders. Or some nice blood magic. Or death mist evocations. Or poison evocations. Splash damage is not much of a big deal to your units as compared to his.

All good ideas Stretch. I already have plenty of Vaettis for Patrolling purposes and to send out with my giants. But I may simply try and build a bunch more and field them in groups. They have reasonable defence themselves so should be fairly dureable.

I also have some of the Wolf Riders. Unfortunately he has spread himself across the battlefield and in enough squads so I doubt attack rear tactics will work.

My Giant Javelin chuckers are pretty effective as missle fire then melee units. And they are more dureable once in combat. But the stone throwers are cheaper resource wise so I might switch between them.

Thanks! Any other advice will be gladly accepted Smile
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111

Post  Lavaere Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 am

Squirrelloid wrote:Thinking ahead to next turn...

C'Tis, are you ready to start pressuring Ashdod? Because i've got a border with him now, which means there will almost certainly be action in the near future on my end. Forcing him to split his forces would be nice. Probably not this turn, but i expect an army of his in plausible position to do something or at least move to threaten something next turn.

Alternately, pressuring Ermor to help out TwoBits is a perfectly reasonable thing to do as well - I think I can hold Ashdod by myself if I have to - at least for a little while.

So, fellow top nations, strategic decision time. Kill Ermor and distract Ashdod? Or distract Ermor's and kill Ashdod? (Septimius, you're welcome to join the Ashdod bashing squad - unless it looks like your side center nations are ready to go after V3, in which case proceed with the plan.)
    I'm not there yet, around 4-6 regions between Bandar Log and Ashdod. But provided I don't have any more of these damn setbacks. I'll be up for the fight

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content