Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+8
melnorjr
Pelthin
Hoplosternum
TwoBits
rdonj
Joelz
viccio
Squirrelloid
12 posters

Turn 14

Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Turn 14 Empty Turn 14

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:42 am

Turn 14 is out. Ugg... report coming momentarily.
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Turn 14 Empty Re: Turn 14

Post  viccio Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 am

i have some problem with TC

this is the God (i have a problem to upload the image)
    Deva with 4B
    Frost Brand, Fire Brand, Gold Shield ,Faithful, Dragon Helmet,Black steel Plate,Amulet of Antimagig , Winged Shoes

He attack me in 211 with some Heavy Horsemen, Ministry Guardsmen and Archer (90 unit)

I don't hae any idea to fight the God...
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:53 am

First things first, I ran into 1PD + ~12 Sheshai Anakim + SC S2 Adon + Prophet + an S2 Raphaite Sage (who fled or retreated, not sure which).

So, i killed 4 of the Sheshai... But he scripted them to guard commander and just sat in the back fpr 5 rounds so I couldn't rusting mist him - needless to say this was rather annoying. I don't think I have any way to reliably deal with that at all. I wounded a couple others, including the prophet, but when i can't bring my spells to bear on them there is literally nothing I can do about them in any way that matters.

The Adon has 2x bracers of protection (with an earth 9 bless, the fucker, Protection 32), a firebrand, and an amulet of MR. I need a serious mage duel attack team to kill him because there's no way i'm taking him out in melee. Province number 302. (To be sure he gets nailed, send two).

Ugg, I wish I had astral. Its pissing me off that I have basically no arbitrary range spells to target him with, and I'm not deep enough in any tree for any amazing army buffing spells.

Speaking of mage duel attack teams, there's a Raphaite Sage *by himself* (presumably with minimal PD) in 284 as well - he's the one who fled the combat presumably, and therefore S2.

Anyway, I have 32 Bakemono-sho, 32 dai-bakemono, and 4 Ao-Oni left from that disaster, in addition to just about all my commanders (lost one of my arrow catchers because he ran out of arrows and charged - oops). They can be reinforced by 51 bakemono-sho + 4 Ao-Oni + a bakemono sorceror. I think that's enough to hold the province i'm currently in, especially if i'm a little more clever about scripting. And especially if that Adon gets nuked (since its the only remaining commander). Heck, nuking that Adon would buy me time to really reinforce.

-----------------

In other news I lost *another* two provinces to indie attacks, one of which is one I lost *last time* to an indie attack. Whomever convinced me to take misfortune, I hate you. (Ok, not really, but its a real pain in the ass. There is basically no amount of PD i could buy that would stop *95* barbarians. I seriously think Turmoil + Luck would have been better for me - at least then i wouldn't have to keep detailing armies to deal with stuff in my back field - i really can't afford that distraction right now). And they were reasonably valuable territories as well. Seriously not happy.

Buying a lab in the water, moving to take back one of the provinces indies stole from me. Holding the line against Ashdod with support on the way (~40 dai-bakemono archers, 50 bakemono-sho, 5 dai-bakemono, 4 Ao-Oni, and another bakemono sorceror which can join them next turn, plus possibly another 30 dai-bakemono archers). Have my mages scripted to SummEarthPow, rusting mist, attack x2, rusting mist, spells. That should hopefully catch him if he stays back. At the same time, i've got infantry screens moving ahead of the mages, so if he changes things up they shouldn't get caught in a melee.

Finishing Enchantment 2+3 this next turn, plus a little work towards Evocation 4. (Need to reach 6 before its really relevant, so Enchantment will be useful sooner).

GK is heading for more site searching unless Ermor's capitol is occupied, in which case i'll contribute to dom kill.

Please tell me the war against Ermor is going well, and the war against Ashdod on the other side is going better than on my side.
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  Joelz Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:41 am

The turn went rather well. Attacked 5 Eriu provinces, captured 4 and repelled 1 attack from Eriu. He really seems to be worried for he is deploying many of his sidhe lords agains my forces (to spam lighting bolt).
    This turn I will be attacking only Omicria (221) and Comsath (214). Defending with my frontline troops until reinforcements arrive. Once theyre next to Eriu's capital I'm going to take it and tax it dead, but since most of my armies have a mapmove of 1 it will take a few turns. Until then I'll just grab his undefended provinces.

Caelum, I see that Eriu has captured Linshire (134), are you planning to attack it next turn or shall I do that? I've got about 30 guardians next to it so it wouldn't be a problem. Also, do you still need Phalicia (139)? I could really use those resources in my forest fort right next to it.

Bandar Log, are you going to take back Baccar (196)? Even 1 commander would do the job as the province doesn't contain any troops or PD right now.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:10 am

Noob Gold Total - 202,497
    Noob Gem Total - 929

Vet Gold Total - 91,750
    Vet Gem Total - 572
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 am

OK, kind of a mixed bag on my end. My teleporting assassination squad went 1-1 in 321, which kind of sucks as it was 2 S4s going up against 2 S2s (do things like Personal Luck or Twist Fate work against Magic Duel? I don't think so, so maybe it was just bad luck). Another bummer was, my surviving Arch Theurg neglected to cast Returning (jerk burned through 3 gems casting Magic Duel, didn't leave enough to cast Returning! Evil or Very Mad ), so now he's out in the countryside, away from a lab.

It did screw up Ashdod's next attack though, as they hit 325 with only the Zamzummite, 5 uber-giants, and 1 super-uber giant. Cost me 10 Cataphracts and 10 gladiators, but I took out everyone but the super-uber giant (they are hard to kill!).

Took back 316 from Ashdod too.

There's still an army in my territory of 321 (8 Sheshai Anakites - looks like I better start learning their names Sad ), and of course the giants who just roughed up Shinuyama in 302. To top it off, another Adon has just appeared in Ermor's old province of 340. The Adon in C'tis' old province of 326 seems to be gone, with no path through enemy territory, so I suspect that's the boy who's now in 340 (must have been a lab in 326 and he teleported out?). One thing this suggests is that the Vets are probably about to write off Ermor, which is nice.

So I've still got Ashdod all over me like a cheap suit, and unfortunately no S4 casters in my capitol just now. But I've got lots of S2 and S3 casters out in the field, most with at least one gem (time to get them some more), plus 7 Hydras in 316, so hopefully they can be contained, especially if I have better luck with Magic Duel.

Here's some good news - I see C'tis has succeeded in taking Ermor's capital province! Huzzah! Unfortunately, he must have suffered a lot of casualties in doing so, as I can only see ~10 units there. But it's a good start, and I now have nearly 200 units (including the Farstrikers) in 358 who can help out (I'll coordinate with Raiel as to the best plan).

Squirrelloid, I'll see how I can help you out with the Adons, but like I said, I've only got 1 S4 mage left at the moment, and he's away from a lab. I might have to break down and use an S3 guy. I mean, I think I did pretty good against Ashdod last turn, but at a 380 gp Arch Theurg is an expensive piece of hardware.

Hm, Arco, how are you coming along in Teleporting and Magic Dueling? Wink
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:08 am

Well, an adon is 400 gp a pop and cap only, so he was probably about as thrilled with that as you are Wink
    viccio

Post  viccio Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 am

for information

I want to research soul slay and then Mind Hunt to kill the deva
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:36 am

What's the Deva's MR (Magic Resistance)? I'm not there with my research, but eventually myself or Arco can cast it. If she's out killing loads of people, C'tis can eventually cast Vengeance of the Dead, if she has Astral support mages (which will stop Mind Hunts with tragic results).

Rdonj, yeah, killing the Adon was nice, as was killing a 310gp Zamzummite and 5 125gp giants in the other battle. But I was hoping for a "flawless victory" Very Happy

BTW, anyone know what's up with Bandar Log these days?
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:42 am

All pretenders have 18 magic resistance, though it is decreased in enemy dominion.
    viccio

Post  viccio Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 am

The MR of deva is 24 (in friendly dominion) she's a very big problem for me .

for now, I withdraw this round
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:03 am

viccio wrote:for information

I want to research soul slay and then Mind Hunt to kill the deva

Great spells though these are TC has plenty of astral mages. Including ones that can teleport, so you may think the Deva is alone but he may not be by the time your mind hunt is cast.

Not sure this is the best way to kill him. Soul Slay still needs to get past his MR in any case.

Not that I have any better ideas about how to get him Razz
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Pelthin Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:11 am

My turn went over like a lead ballon. I have this indy province that will not die. It better have something good. I am scouting for earth gems as I am running low, but not too much badness on that front yet.

Working my way West to assist with attacking my Vet. My fort should be done in one more turn, and then a lab so I can start spamming my national summons. Smile
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:25 am

TwoBits wrote:To top it off, another Adon has just appeared in Ermor's old province of 340. The Adon in C'tis' old province of 326 seems to be gone, with no path through enemy territory, so I suspect that's the boy who's now in 340 (must have been a lab in 326 and he teleported out?).

He had somethign which gave him flying, remember? No teleport needed.

Regarding your other combat success (Yeah, i'm going to call the debacle with mind duel a success since you got to kill half his army because of it) - was the super-uber giant the Adon commander you failed to kill with mind duel, or his other sacred unit type? Just trying to keep track of what he's got running around out there.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Squirrelloid wrote:
    TwoBits wrote:To top it off, another Adon has just appeared in Ermor's old province of 340. The Adon in C'tis' old province of 326 seems to be gone, with no path through enemy territory, so I suspect that's the boy who's now in 340 (must have been a lab in 326 and he teleported out?).

He had somethign which gave him flying, remember? No teleport needed.

Regarding your other combat success (Yeah, i'm going to call the debacle with mind duel a success since you got to kill half his army because of it) - was the super-uber giant the Adon commander you failed to kill with mind duel, or his other sacred unit type? Just trying to keep track of what he's got running around out there.

Ah, flying, I forgot. That explains that. Still, interesting that he's operating through Ermorian territory. Mostly, I thank you for reminding me of the flying. It means that guy has to die now (and I need to change some orders based on the idea that he'd move by land next turn, so perhaps I'll have a few more S2 mages going elsewhere than I initially thought). I'd like to take care of 302 now, but I suspect the plan was for them to reinforce 321 anyway, in order to try to relieve Ermor. He might be a little worried about Magic Duel now though (I'd be, if I were him), so he might change his plans.

So, I've got two spare S3 mages at my capital (and that is it, the bottom of the barrel has been reached), and they need to go at fly-boy in 340. So I'm sorry, no action at 302 this turn (I like your scripting though, that should work out in getting your mages into range). But next turn, I should be able to help out, if he goes for you.

Anyway, here's what I believe happened last turn: He had the two Adon, the Zamzummite, and 18 giants (15 Sheshai Anakites, aka uber-giants [aka SA from now on], and 3 Ahiman Anakites, aka super-uber-giants [aka AA from now on]) in 321. I think one Adon, commanding 12 or less giants, and the Zam, commanding 6, were supposed to attack me at 325, and the other Adon (perhaps taking a few giants with him, as I only see ~8 in 321 now), seeing your approach, was sent back to reinforce 302. Well, I killed the Adon who was supposed to attack 325, so his giants stayed behind at 321, while the Zam and his 6 met their doom (except for the one AA - super-uber, but not a commander) at 325. And the Adon I didn't kill got in your face at 302, just like you feared might happen - sorry Sad It wasn't quite "give up gambling" bad luck, but still kind of lame for you.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:12 pm

The Adon has 2x bracers of protection (with an earth 9 bless, the fucker, Protection 32), a firebrand, and an amulet of MR. I need a serious mage duel attack team to kill him because there's no way i'm taking him out in melee. Province number 302. (To be sure he gets nailed, send two).

incoming mage. only one guy spare right this second, others are dealing with marignon and now vanheim attacking me. Will have more available next turn.

You'll probably want to let me to the lion's share of teleporting magic duels, twobits, since my guys cost 180 gold.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:31 pm

melnorjr wrote:incoming mage. only one guy spare right this second, others are dealing with marignon and now vanheim attacking me. Will have more available next turn.

You'll probably want to let me to the lion's share of teleporting magic duels, twobits, since my guys cost 180 gold.

Cool. Next turn, you go for 302, and I'll take 340 (I have to do it now, before he flies around causing havoc). Give your guys at least 5 (and maybe 6, if they're S4?) gems. I gave mine 4, and like I said, the survivor blew 3 on Magic Duel (come on, is that really freakin' necessary?, stupid gem wasting AI! Mad ), and didn't have enough for Returning (good thing I scripted Retreat too, but that wont be an option in your case).

Yeah, at 180gp, I'll gladly let you handle Magic Duel teleport attacks, but I guess it will just need further coordination depending on who's got mages and gems available. Too bad Bandar is not available to help us out here.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  LumenPlacidum Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, I pushed into the Marignon's offensive, but met only PD as he moved to consolidate his forces. Unfortunately, one of the provinces I just took was a wasteland and now many of my spiders are starving and so Morale 7. I'm unsure whether or not I want to attack his main force in the area next turn. He has about 30 royal guard, 60 crossbowmen and maybe a dozen heavy infantry. I can bear 23 light infantry, 17 militia, 6 heavy infantry, 35 shortbowmen, 31 capable spiders and 9 crippled spiders (for using ranged webbing).

Unfortunately, this force of mine would be coming from two directions and so positions and tactics are somewhat restricted. I expect him to use the crossbowmen as the primary offensive weapon of his army. The heavy infantry or the royal guard would both make great arrow catchers, although the royal guard would make a good flanking force anyway. I think I need my heavy infantry to be screens against the command "fire closest." My spider riders with actual people on them are happy being killed by "fire cavalry" since that just makes them stronger. His units set to "Fire largest" would be a problem since it might actually go after my great spiders themselves. I don't expect my shortbowmen to play a huge role in the fight, so I might just put them in the back row to draw out his crossbowmen if he has them set to "Fire archers." He saw me use a bunch of tactics that had my spiders on the flanks, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea to just have a straightforward battle line.

Have 3 groups of spiders after his archers, each flank and the middle. Two of these are likely to be engaged before reaching his archers, which is fine. Behind them, have two groups of ranged spiders set to fire cavalry so that they can support the groups of forward spiders that get engaged before they reach the crossbowmen. I can have my light infantry and militia come forward to just overwhelm his troops with targets, and since they can bring down his lightly-armored cavalry once they're webbed. My heavy infantry will serve as my primary archer screen, put in two groups so that the forward spider groups will pass them by with as much room as possible, so as to prevent stray arrow casualties.

It's not a big battle, but it's best to not allow mistakes regardless of scale. Please review my tactics ideas before I implement them.

Anyway, I found yet another Enchantress site, and I'm moving a sorcerer there to build a lab. This is getting kind of ridiculous. Alternatively, Abysia, it's right on the border with you. If you want to diversify into other elemental magicks and nature, please let me know and I'll build the lab and then get out of the province so you can take it.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Wow, Machaka tactics seem quite complicated! Shocked I'm certainly not competent to give you advice, except to say I like how you are mixing things up a lot. I think that's the key, keep changing your orders. I mean, what does he do? Fire at your archers? Good for you, now you have nasty spiders! Etc.. Keep him guessing! So maybe break your units into somewhat smaller groups, and give them a variety of orders? Mass confusion?

I guess the thing to consider is, what sort of battle magic are you adding to the mix? How close are you to Flaming Arrows, for example? That might be a nasty deal breaker, once you get that (don't you have dirt cheap, at least resource wise, map move 3, Forest-able, archers?).
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:15 pm

My battle mages are 2 provinces away and as such, will not be contributing to this fight.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Well I have reached the end of the road now. Vanheim has doubled back towards my capital (and grabbed Bolivar) so my Capital will fall soon. Lost plenty of troops last turn in small actions.

My Pretender is now surrounded by Eriu, Marignon and Vanheim. Marignon has a force and magic (lots of Bonds of Fire etc and scores of crossbows) to kill off my God and stop my Fort being built. Oh well it was a long shot and it would probably have worked had it not been for Marignon as Vanheim could not both keep my capital covered.

I should still have a province or two next turn so I won't actually be out for a while but you can stop sending me cash now as I probably won't be needing it.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Ok, Ermor's capitol is occupied, so i'm attacking an adjacent water province to participate in Dom Kill should it be needed.

My turn will be submitted later tonight or tomorrow morning (I hope) - its ready now but yahoo mail isn't uploading attachments so... ugg. Apologies for any delay this might cause (although with our track record...).
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:Well I have reached the end of the road now. Vanheim has doubled back towards my capital (and grabbed Bolivar) so my Capital will fall soon. Lost plenty of troops last turn in small actions.

My Pretender is now surrounded by Eriu, Marignon and Vanheim. Marignon has a force and magic (lots of Bonds of Fire etc and scores of crossbows) to kill off my God and stop my Fort being built. Oh well it was a long shot and it would probably have worked had it not been for Marignon as Vanheim could not both keep my capital covered.

I should still have a province or two next turn so I won't actually be out for a while but you can stop sending me cash now as I probably won't be needing it.

Don't give up hope, im sending a saving force of 5 mages, 11 elephants, infantry, and archers against your capital, so don't attack. Also, This may be the last turn I can play in a while.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Got this PM from Raiel (C'tis):

"Only have a moment as I've hit a major problem with some software I wrote for our business, and I need to get back to work on it ASAP. Hopefully I'll have more time tonight, but please pass along my apologies for lack of attention today...

I shouldn't have won that battle - he had a little more than he did when you attacked last turn. I only attacked with about 100 units. I lost most of my runners, but I have 202 more units in 359.

I have 6 H3 priests (including my prophet) in his capitol. I would like to gobble up his land, but I think it would be better to park my entire army on his capitol and preach. Please let Shin know that assistance with Dom-kill would be great.

Will your forces be able to hold back Ashdod if I preach and leave cleanup duty to you?

BTW: Panic is NOT a fear ATTACK like Frighten - it damages morale, but does not force a moral check. It's really only usefull when you're already doing enough damage to cause moral checks. Maybe combining Frighten and Panic would work well, though."

OK, I'll leave Ermor's capital to C'tis, and start working my way south from 358, and drive down at Ashdod from that way, grabbing any Ermorian territory that I can along the way.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 pm

melnorjr wrote:sep, who would be alt for skinu?
    Anyone Skinu can get. I've asked Skinu to contact our alternates and see who would be available just in case.

In other news: I don't know what Bandar has been doing this game, I certainly get the impression that he is not interested in it or no longer interested this time around. I may contact the alternates or someone else to see who might want to have a shot at reviving Bandar behind Ulm's protective provincial shield.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content