Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+9
Pelthin
melnorjr
TwoBits
Raiel
viccio
Joelz
Hoplosternum
Septimius Severus
Stretch
13 posters

Turn 16

Stretch

Number of posts : 136
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Turn 16 Empty Turn 16

Post  Stretch Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:56 am

Anything in particular I need to forge for people or keep in mind for Ulm this turn?

Also, regarding me "cluttering" up the forum with my Art of War thread, if I see a great opportunity for new players to enhance their skill and have a lot of fun then I will mention it if I damn well please. I recommend new players look for similar sub opportunities on the forums if they want to get some more battle experience under their belts. It'll probably help you fight better in NvV3!
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 16 Empty Turn 16

Post  Septimius Severus Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:01 am

My attack vs Ashdod in 290 was successful, my attack vs TC in 268 failed.

Ashdod then broke my siege in 285 with 3 Adons, 9 Sheshei, and a Rephaite Sage and reclaimed their province.

Also lost 306 to 5 Sheshai and an Adon named Zach (hall of Famer, but minus the winged shoes and equipment).

TC grabbed 255 from me with a good sized force.

I am now on the defensive.

C'tis, you should now be able to spare some troops, if your not attacking Ashdod from the north, your assistance would be helpful to prevent 303 from falling and another (larger) incursion into our territory.

Agartha, saw that failed attack vs indies in 243, how bout bypassing them (or leave them to me) and instead take 239 or 215.

More later.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Turn 16 Empty Re: Turn 16

Post  Hoplosternum Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:50 am

Monkey Suite on:

Wow these Bandar troops are poor Razz Lost both my battles I'm afraid despite having large number advantages and Eriu took another province off me.

My predecessor has built mostly the monkey chaff. Monkey elite is not very good either but I have always used that to expand (the longbows, decent infantry and elephants) and I am building mostly these now.

But there is a lot of chaff to kill off first Very Happy So I am attacking Stone Grave Mtns (232) again, plus the elephant province Remecia (248). Plus trying to recapture the Eriu seizure - Acyste (207).

I am sending a Cauldron of Broth to Shin. Still not at Construction 4 and I need to pick up Thaumatergy 2 to give me some mage support in battles (looks like my troops need it!)

Monkey suite off....

Giant boots laced up....

Well Marignon's army has vanished in the north. Not sure where it has gone. I am leaving the area north of my fort at Dural woods to Caelum. So I won't be going that way. If Caelum isn't active up there please let me know and I will send something next turn.

But Vanheim has taken all but two of my provinces. My Pretender plus some support troops will strike back and hopefully kill some of the troops. His main armies are not up here. However I am still having great difficulties with his Skinshifters and Einhere. If anyone has a counter please let me know!

Unfortunately my underwater adventure ended badly. I put my Skratti too far forward (well he should have been at the back and wasn't) and he was swarmed while in Giant form while buffing Embarassed Not sure he would have won anyway. Well that ends my underwater escape plan Sad

However Vanheim has taken some troops away from the siege to recapture some of Caelum's lands and his siege is hardly increasing. So my Capital should last a little longer.

If anyone has some cash that would be appreciated. A couple of hundred would be great if anyone has it spare.
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  Joelz Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:23 am

Just thought to drop by and say good luck Stretch. Not that you would need it Wink
    By the way, you ought to keep in mind that youre right next to Eriu's capital. Capturing it would shut down his Tuatha production for good.
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:05 am

TC did not stop but I will try to stop this turn with 2 armies...

This turn i attack Vanheim in silver Swamp(17)(with a Shambler Chief and 22 Shambler

I send 300 gold to Jotunheim...

I have 9 nature gems... Who forge for me a Thistle Mace?
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 am

Recaptured the province Ashdod raided a few turns ago.

Sstormed the castle with a scout to find that he has only 6 GT and 2 Thaumaturgs... My scout's efforts at fleeing were successfull and heroic (he caused the mandatory emancipation of 13 gladiators). I'll be storming this turn, as his dominion lost only one point in his capitol; his priests must have switch over to preaching to prevent dom-kill.

TwoBits: If you would be so kind as to take 355 this turn to cut off his escape, I'll attempt to take 341, which should eliminate Ermor from the game if all goes well. But we need to confer on how we'll get our forces untangled if you do this. Smile

Septimius Severus: I saw all of your struggles and I'll be there as soon as I can. Even if we manage to eliminate Ermor this turn, it will be several turns before I can put pressure on him from any direction other than the north... but I'll have finished Construction 4 this turn and Conjuration 5 on the next turn. I'll summon some Banelords and hopefully kit them out to counter Ashdod. Unless someone else can think of another path that will make Marshmasters more usefull against these giants? Charm, perhaps?

Capturing my fifth fort and starting my sixth, I hope.

BTW, Hoplo: I'm afraid it's my fault he's been recruiting Markata; I suggested he use them in quantity for indy expansion. I've had almost perfect success with 60 Markata and one sacred for archer pulling (less than 10% casualties in almost every fight). I emphasized in my PM that he should MASTER the tactics in my guide, but he may have missed that point.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:14 am

Stretch wrote:Anything in particular I need to forge for people or keep in mind for Ulm this turn?

All I can suggest is Hammers, Hammers, and more Hammers What a Face

Pythium's turn went well. No surprises or disasters. Took 345 from Ermor with no casualties. Also grabbed one last indie province from stick wielding Hoburgs in 318. Shinuyama seems to have my southern border well in hand. And I scored big in site searching, up 8 a turn. Astral income is now 15 gems a turn (Arco, are you in need of any down south?)!

I will indeed hit Ermor at 355 with everything from 345, and barring some major outside intervention, it should be no problem. If C'tis can take their home-fortress and 341, Ermor should be gone next turn. Raiel, my original plan post-Ermor was to head down at Ashdod from the top, through 329 - is that the direction you intended to take too? At the moment, I don't have any other access. *Edit - change of plans, see below*

Other actions next turn will be an attack on Ashod in 340 with Task Force Hydra. And further reinforcements are planned on being sent to 345 (depending on what Raiel and I can coordinate, I suppose). Research and tax revenues are both back on the rise too. 3rd fortress is two turns away. Temples are springing up at a good clip. Now, if I can just avoid any more stupid losses to my Arch Theurgs...

This turn, all my gold is blown, but next turn (unless I'm called upon to provide multiple Hydras against Ashdod), I may have spare cash to start sharing around, now that the war with Ermor should be finished (and I'll just be one of 4 people fighting Ashdod).

Oh, thought I'd share some intelligence on Ashdod for those interested: ~20 Archers in 320 (moving north from his capital), ~2 Archers in 291, ~10 Sheshai Anakites, 3 Talmai Elders, and something called a Second Son of Anak (national hero presumably) in his capital. I've got a lot more scouts heading south, so my intelligence picture should only improve with time.

OK, after consulting with Raiel via PM, I've decided to move south from 345 against Ashdod in 329 immediately. Ermor might cling to life for another turn or two after C'tis storms his capital, but it will keep our forces from getting entangled, and at least one of us can fully engage Ashdod immediately. And C'tis should be more than able to run down any Ermorian remnants, even if a few Thaumaturgs escape from their capital.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306

Post  melnorjr Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Thank you for those fires from afar, squirrel. That bought me some more time to be ready for his army.
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54

Post  Pelthin Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:21 pm

That was a mistake. Those troops were supposed to move to 224 to attack at 239, so I can put pressure on the Vet. Give me two more turns and I will have my first wave ready to start the attack there.

I am not sure how I messed up that move. <shrug> I will leave 243 prov for you.

I just got my Indy Nature Mages on the move, and should start search for Nature gems next turn. Found 1 more Earth and 1 astral last turn.

Lost the above mentioned fight with a prov I had no business attacking, sorry Noob here.

One turn until my Fort is done, and then I can start to move into attack mode against the vets.

I have Golumns on the move and 4 mages. I hope to have them all there in 2 turns to start the mayhem, but boy are my units slow.

Septimius Severus wrote:My attack vs Ashdod in 290 was successful, my attack vs TC in 268 failed.

Ashdod then broke my siege in 285 with 3 Adons, 9 Sheshei, and a Rephaite Sage and reclaimed their province.

Also lost 306 to 5 Sheshai and an Adon named Zach (hall of Famer, but minus the winged shoes and equipment).

TC grabbed 255 from me with a good sized force.

I am now on the defensive.

C'tis, you should now be able to spare some troops, if your not attacking Ashdod from the north, your assistance would be helpful to prevent 303 from falling and another (larger) incursion into our territory.

Agartha, saw that failed attack vs indies in 243, how bout bypassing them (or leave them to me) and instead take 239 or 215.

More later.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Noob Gold Total - 252,859
    Noob Gem Total - 1,229

Vet Gold Total - 111,459
    Vet Gem Total - 722
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:42 pm

I just keep having awesome site searching. My income per turn is now:
    2 fire gems + fever fetishes
    3 air gems
    2 water gems
    4 earth gems
    6 astral pearls
    5 death gems
    12 nature gems (+2 from pretender)

Of course, my switching to mass-producing thistle maces and casting dragon master has dropped me into the "I still always need nature gems area." Oh well.

Marignon unfortunately built a citadel in the province I failed to take last turn, which explains why he was so protective of it. I will have armies totaling about a hundred spider cavalry, about ten fire drakes and a few mages for support to meet him once he's far enough into my realm. I think the main offensive press of my forces will be mages casting fire cloud against his tightly packed crossbowmen, though, just as he uses his mages to cast prison of fire on my troops. What I wouldn't give for some indie knights to catch bolts for people set to "fire cavalry." Edit: Muahahahaha, turns out I have ONE indie knight in range who can catch those bolts. I will name the poor unfortunate - 'Porcupine'.

Got my fourth fortress up, in the area to protect The Ultimate Gateway, and so I can spam mages there to summon drakes. My main focus at the moment is figuring out how to deal with Marignon's crossbowmen. I have an A2 enchantress moving to get air gems so she can cast Mist against the crossbowmen and I'm bringing in some N3 folks to cast Haste on my spiders to weather the storm a bit better which is about all I can do on the defensive side. I'm moving black sorcerers in to cast Fire Cloud and Blade Wind, although it's a balancing act between the offense and the research to GET the offense. I want to make sure I bring crushing force to bear this time so I don't leave the battle up to a silly feeling of being canny about tactics.

I think I'm pulling back for one more turn before I press forward with the full complement of battle magi. Demolishing some lab I found in a Marignon province so he can't take it back. Unless Arcoscephale built it and wants it back. It's in Forest of Gun (60). Be aware, though that his army is right next to it and giving him the possibility of equipping his fire mages with gems and reinvig items could be deadly to us.

I'll post a screenshot in the maps thread. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Oh, I found a Holy Scourge. Anyone want it?
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey, anyone know if fire drakes fly? I might want to forge winged boots to get them to the battle faster if so, instead of an amulet of missile protection.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 am

They do not.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:36 am

Stretch wrote:Also, regarding me "cluttering" up the forum with my Art of War thread, if I see a great opportunity for new players to enhance their skill and have a lot of fun then I will mention it if I damn well please. I recommend new players look for similar sub opportunities on the forums if they want to get some more battle experience under their belts. It'll probably help you fight better in NvV3!
    I'm all for experience, I just think that a separate thread for advertisements is unneccesary. If you've a problem with my actions as moderator perhaps you can take it up with rdonj. Who knows perhaps rdonj will overule me or give you moderator priviledges as well Smile. In the meantime I'm deleting the thread. It will make for a leaner archived forum, with less extraneous threads.

Glad your in for Ulm. I know you will give the vets hell, your a tuff son-of-a-b. Please do keep us updated on any of your troop movements or attack plans if applicable. We wouldn't want any friendly collisions.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:41 am

Yep, C'tis and Pythium, only one of you can attack Ashdod via that single province wide corridor in the middle.

I do hope Ermor is eliminated quickly, and we can put full pressure on Ashdod and then hopefully TC. That would secure the north anyway.

I am worried about Caelum and Arco in the intervening time.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:44 am

Ok, attacking Ashdod in 306.

Attacking TC in 268, 255, and 211.

Attacking indies in 243.

Increasing blood research and hunting for rain of toads.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Septimius Severus wrote:Yep, C'tis and Pythium, only one of you can attack Ashdod via that single province wide corridor in the middle.

I do hope Ermor is eliminated quickly, and we can put full pressure on Ashdod and then hopefully TC. That would secure the north anyway.

I am worried about Caelum and Arco in the intervening time.

Right now is pretty critical for me. I think I can survive this, but I need gold. I've lost provinces, and the unrest event on my cap put unrest to 101, which I'm still recovering from with patrolling(at 21 unrest now). The armies I'm fielding right now need gold to field them, and somewhat of an upkeep, so I'm not making as much as I would be. My research is right on track - my battle magic is getting very dangerous, and I will soon have mind hunt+soul slay and be able to shut down any army without a huge number of commanders
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm using a fairly ridiculous amount of gold to expand my spider armies... which would be better spent if you need to get up to your resources in troops. If I don't recruit spiders this turn I could probably send about 800-1000 gold. Would that be a significant help? Again, it would depend on my ability to get back home to change my orders before the turn rolls.
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188

Post  Raiel Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:09 pm

How long before you get home, LumenPlacidum?

I'm still putting the finishing touches on my turn, and I can wait to submit it until I hear you've made your changes. I hate to delay the game, but sometimes real life does get in the way.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm

About 2 and a half hours.

Though, with the number of turn files yet to be submitted, it probably won't be a problem.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Ok, i do in fact exist!

Turn report
    More frickin barbarian raiders and another lost province. Will the madness never end?

Ocean forces lost to independents - apparently trolls and hydromancer are just bad news. I'll have to regroup and try again. (I'm dearly missing ichthycentaurs right now =( ).

Also lost to the plant people indies who took one of my provinces, but i'm pretty sure i can take them this next turn.

Beat some indies up near pythium's border.

Took 302 from Ashdod.

Scout seems to have held Ashdod's army in place. Doing it again. Btw, there are 3 astral mages in 284 that could be mage dueled. (1 adon, 2 Rephaite Sages). The only other commander there is his Prophet, and there are 17 sacred giants, mostly SAnakim, but a few of the other. Killing most of those commanders could strand half his army if i fail to hold it in place with a scout attack.

Also took another province from Ashdod down south, killing 5 edomites that were just hanging out in the process.

First Tiamat's casting was totally useless (sigh)

-----------
    GK attacking where he is. And wishing good luck to his neighbors with the siege of Ermor.

Killing off the last of the pod people, i hope.

Attacking ashdod's human slaves and slingers in the south.

Army in 302 is moving due east towards ashdod's capitol (still bypassing 284).

More forces moving into 302 as reinforcements for the advancing army.

Fleeing scout returning to 284 to attack again next turn.

Buying a bunch of dai-bakemono (variously archer or non), triton troopers and shark knights, 2 bakemono sorcerors, and some triton commanders of various grades.

Forging a pebble staff, casting tiamats, researching to Evoc 5 (barely). Just one more level of evocation after that till the good spells come online. (Magma eruption/banefire)
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:I'm using a fairly ridiculous amount of gold to expand my spider armies... which would be better spent if you need to get up to your resources in troops. If I don't recruit spiders this turn I could probably send about 800-1000 gold. Would that be a significant help? Again, it would depend on my ability to get back home to change my orders before the turn rolls.

Oh, yes. That would do a great deal. With that much, unless vanheim pulls a huge amount of mages or something, I could pretty much shut down his advances for a good while. Marignon is more of a wild card. I a little worried about him, because that massive number of crossbowman could be hard to deal with. I'm hoping we can hold him off long enough for me to get mind hunt in 2-3 turns.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

melnorjr wrote:
    LumenPlacidum wrote:I'm using a fairly ridiculous amount of gold to expand my spider armies... which would be better spent if you need to get up to your resources in troops. If I don't recruit spiders this turn I could probably send about 800-1000 gold. Would that be a significant help? Again, it would depend on my ability to get back home to change my orders before the turn rolls.

Oh, yes. That would do a great deal. With that much, unless vanheim pulls a huge amount of mages or something, I could pretty much shut down his advances for a good while. Marignon is more of a wild card. I a little worried about him, because that massive number of crossbowman could be hard to deal with. I'm hoping we can hold him off long enough for me to get mind hunt in 2-3 turns.

Marignon's key commanders are astral mages, which prevents mind hunt from being effective (in some way that I don't actually understand, thus prompting this prompt for more information from someone in the know). Seeking Arrow would actually be better, I think, against that big army of his. Also, those crazy AoE spells I'll be able to bring to bear in two turns.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Post  rdonj Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Trying to mind hunt astral mages is risky because there's a very high chance for the mind hunter to become feebleminded.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh, people talk about it like it's impossible. So what, it's like a magic duel where the better astral mage has a good chance of walking away the victor?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content