Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+9
Pelthin
melnorjr
TwoBits
Raiel
viccio
Joelz
Hoplosternum
Septimius Severus
Stretch
13 posters

Turn 16

LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 16 - Page 2 Empty Re: Turn 16

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Actually, while we're at it, I'd like to inquire as to who can provide some seeking arrow support in 2-3 turns. I'll devote my air income to fueling them for you if necessary. I want to be able to harry Marignon's forces by having his commanders die.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:37 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:Oh, people talk about it like it's impossible. So what, it's like a magic duel where the better astral mage has a good chance of walking away the victor?

It's more like astral projection, iirc. Which would mean you don't even have to be trying to mind hunt the astral mage, just anyone in the province, and they have the chance to sever the astral cord or whatever they call it.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:09 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:Actually, while we're at it, I'd like to inquire as to who can provide some seeking arrow support in 2-3 turns. I'll devote my air income to fueling them for you if necessary. I want to be able to harry Marignon's forces by having his commanders die.

Caelum is the best bet. He should have several mages capable of casting it. A dozen or so really despite losses in that department.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:17 pm

melnorjr wrote:
    LumenPlacidum wrote:I'm using a fairly ridiculous amount of gold to expand my spider armies... which would be better spent if you need to get up to your resources in troops. If I don't recruit spiders this turn I could probably send about 800-1000 gold. Would that be a significant help? Again, it would depend on my ability to get back home to change my orders before the turn rolls.

Oh, yes. That would do a great deal. With that much, unless vanheim pulls a huge amount of mages or something, I could pretty much shut down his advances for a good while. Marignon is more of a wild card. I a little worried about him, because that massive number of crossbowman could be hard to deal with. I'm hoping we can hold him off long enough for me to get mind hunt in 2-3 turns.

Be very cautious about using Mindhunt on Vanheim. He has had for almost 10 turns Adepts of the Iron Order. They are at least astral 2 mages. And he will have at least one with his army if he has any mages at all. He would be crazy to attack a high research Arco without anti Mind Hunters. It's an error I can't believe any of the Vets would make. As they are at least astral 2 mindhunts will leave you with a lot of feebleminded Astrologers. I know you can heal them but not a viable plan I am afraid.

Really we all need Seeking arrow spam from Caelum Very Happy It is the go to overland spell early on. It's safe to cast (except vs Domes but we can probably discount those at this stage outside of possibly Capitals & Forts) and deadly against low hp mages such as the Adepts & Dwarfs of Vanheim (and standard commanders). Mind Hunt is very very risky. Spamming Soul Slay in combat is great though Razz
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:22 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:
    melnorjr wrote:
    LumenPlacidum wrote:I'm using a fairly ridiculous amount of gold to expand my spider armies... which would be better spent if you need to get up to your resources in troops. If I don't recruit spiders this turn I could probably send about 800-1000 gold. Would that be a significant help? Again, it would depend on my ability to get back home to change my orders before the turn rolls.

Oh, yes. That would do a great deal. With that much, unless vanheim pulls a huge amount of mages or something, I could pretty much shut down his advances for a good while. Marignon is more of a wild card. I a little worried about him, because that massive number of crossbowman could be hard to deal with. I'm hoping we can hold him off long enough for me to get mind hunt in 2-3 turns.

Marignon's key commanders are astral mages, which prevents mind hunt from being effective (in some way that I don't actually understand, thus prompting this prompt for more information from someone in the know). Seeking Arrow would actually be better, I think, against that big army of his. Also, those crazy AoE spells I'll be able to bring to bear in two turns.

If he has mages in the army, especially if they are key commanders, he is going to regret it, because I can magic duel spam at him with higher-astral mages that are significantly cheaper.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:25 pm

rdonj wrote:
    LumenPlacidum wrote:Oh, people talk about it like it's impossible. So what, it's like a magic duel where the better astral mage has a good chance of walking away the victor?

It's more like astral projection, iirc. Which would mean you don't even have to be trying to mind hunt the astral mage, just anyone in the province, and they have the chance to sever the astral cord or whatever they call it.

Yes it's a high percentage chance that the Mind Hunter is simply feebleminded. 40% chance per level of astral. As Vanheim's astral mages will be S2+ Adepts of the Iron Order that is at least an 80% chance of being feebleminded if you Mind Hunt the province they are in even if the target is not the Adept. Mental suicide I am afraid even if Arco can heal the mages eventually.

Don't cast it at them or Marignon Exclamation Except on armies you know they have no astral mages with.

It still a good spell to use against his stealthy raiders and none astral thugs. Just not his main army unless you have scouted it out first.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:
    rdonj wrote:

Yes it's a high percentage chance that the Mind Hunter is simply feebleminded. 40% chance per level of astral. As Vanheim's astral mages will be S2+ Adepts of the Iron Order that is at least an 80% chance of being feebleminded if you Mind Hunt the province they are in even if the target is not the Adept. Mental suicide I am afraid even if Arco can heal the mages eventually.

Don't cast it at them or Marignon Exclamation Except on armies you know they have no astral mages with.

It still a good spell to use against his stealthy raiders and none astral thugs. Just not his main army unless you have scouted it out first.

of course.

I can mind hunt eriu thugs too btw. I imagine Ulm would appreciate that.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:Just not his main army unless you have scouted it out first.

My point is I know he's got astral mages with that group. There are two grand masters with F3S3H2.

Anyway, I think the following are the supplies I'm giving to others:

melnorjr of Arcoscephale is getting 1000 gold and 5 air and 4 astral gems from me (you had mentioned the gems in the Forge thread)

Septimius of Pangaea is getting 5 death gems.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:18 pm

So sorry everyone about the confusion - I think I may have staled a turn too...
    Good news is I have internet again and wont be needing a sub, very happy to be able to participate in this game.

Im going to make another attempt to dent the army besieging Holpos capital - I have nine elephants in the rear set to hold and attack rear, im going to gift of flight and breath of winter them. Three mages will also accompany the force with about 20 gaurds, One will cast storm off the bat and the others after pumping my elephants will summon storm power and spam thunderstrike. It might not decimate the army but I think it will reduce the forces by a great margin.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:02 pm

OK, my turn is in. Waiting for Ashdod and Ulm. About 4.5 hours to go.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:
    LumenPlacidum wrote:Actually, while we're at it, I'd like to inquire as to who can provide some seeking arrow support in 2-3 turns. I'll devote my air income to fueling them for you if necessary. I want to be able to harry Marignon's forces by having his commanders die.

Caelum is the best bet. He should have several mages capable of casting it. A dozen or so really despite losses in that department.

All I need are air gems to support you, im getting thurm 2 next turn so I can search for sites but untill I get my gem income up and running someone will have to support me.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 pm

If you haven't seen it, Stretch has requested extra time at the Shrapnel Forum. Turn hosts in a couple of hours, so I hope someone can help him out!
    Stretch

Number of posts : 136
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post  Stretch Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Attacking 207, 221, 118, 181, 198. I will be able to start recruiting nature guys next turn so a thistle mace and a couple nature gems every turn would be just great (I need to start site searching all the forests I have). I'll get construction 4 this turn so send me gems if you want my 75% forge bonus pretender to forge you something awesome. 2 hammers sent to c'tis! Making some knights to trash Sidhe mistform thugs.

Thanks for helping out, Twobits! I managed to stay up and get the turn in, but oh man... 13.5 hours of work was not what I was expecting coming into this work week.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content