Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+8
Hoplosternum
melnorjr
rdonj
Septimius Severus
TwoBits
viccio
Raiel
LumenPlacidum
12 posters

Turn 10

LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Turn 10 Empty Turn 10

Post  LumenPlacidum Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 am

Witnessed that scuffle between Abysia and Eriu. Ha! Take that SMITE TO THE FACE!

Recruited an A2 enchantress, so I have started remote searching for air sites with my shiny new thaumaturgy. Got my second fortress up and I'm building a lab there. Unfortunately, all my black sorcerers are F2E3D1, so I *still* cannot cast flames from afar.

Starting work on an archer army for the far off flaming arrows.
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Turn 10 Empty Re: Turn 10

Post  Raiel Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:37 am

Nothing has really changed on C'tis' front, but I did get a chance to see the enemy in action:

Turn 10 Turn_110

Turn 10 Turn_111

Turn 10 Turn_112

So, my priests are almost useless for stopping these Vestals... Banish will only rarely pierce through MR-18, and the first time it does is negated. The combination of ethereal and twist fate has the same effect on my melee units. I can bring 4 death mages up to the front to spam Dust to Dust, but an offensive without these mages is risky (at best).

Considering that he hasn't moved his forces since we started this little standoff, I'd say this vet is definitely "reacting" to me. With 4 forts, I can mass undead-slaying mages much more effectively than he can mass undead. Especially if TwoBits can chip away at him from the other side.

I'm willing to stay defensive or take the risk of the offensive. So, captain... orders?
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 am

i encountered eriu in 136 and 146 and T'ien Ch'i in 193

I kill 2 commander of Eriu...

I think that i need Help...
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:47 am

O.K... I just ran through some tests to confirm my suspicions. Banish will be useless against the Vestals, as I feared. Suprisingly, poison is INCREDIBLY effective against them. Poison damage seems to ignore Twist Fate, too. I have poison slingers, but no way to ensure they deliver their package to the right address.

I'd still prefer to wait one turn (for my mages to get to the front) before pressing the attack, but I do have a slim chance of winning this one if I strike now.

Just let me know what you prefer...
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 am

Met Ermor in two battles, split decision.

Took 348 from heavy (20+) PD only, casualties were 5 gladiators.

Lost when attacking 340, although I took plenty of Ermorians with me. Unfortunately, only two were Shadow Vestals Sad As Raiel has noted, they have a wicked bless - with S9, my prophet's banishments were useless, and with F9, they were able to hack through the heavy armor on my Serpent Cataphracts eventually (took some time at least, allowing me to kill off a Censor, 40 regular troops, and 6 Longdead Horsemen).

Handling them will require other magic (and moving mages to the front lines), preferably the kind that doesn't require an MR check.

I plan on consolidating and reinforcing, before I consider going back on the offensive.

Scouting report on Ermor: At his capital, 30 units, mainly Longdead Horsemen and Shadow Vestals; at 340, the 17 Shadow Vestals that kicked my butt, plus a smattering of infantry, and a Grand Thaumaturg; at 354, 5 Lion Tribe Archers and moderate PD; at 345, 3 Lion Tribe Archers and light PD. Will have more information coming in following turns.

Hm, just saw Raiel's latest post. Poison works? Might be time to try out some Hydras. I'll have to think about that...
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 pm

Raiel wrote:Nothing has really changed on C'tis' front, but I did get a chance to see the enemy in action: ....

So, my priests are almost useless for stopping these Vestals... Banish will only rarely pierce through MR-18, and the first time it does is negated. The combination of ethereal and twist fate has the same effect on my melee units. I can bring 4 death mages up to the front to spam Dust to Dust, but an offensive without these mages is risky (at best).

Considering that he hasn't moved his forces since we started this little standoff, I'd say this vet is definitely "reacting" to me. With 4 forts, I can mass undead-slaying mages much more effectively than he can mass undead. Especially if TwoBits can chip away at him from the other side.

I'm willing to stay defensive or take the risk of the offensive. So, captain... orders?
    This post (especially the images) may be better suited to the strategies and tactics thread (mind if I move it?). I'd prefer to keep the turn threads limited to textual descriptions of what you did. Plans for next turn, provinces attacking, provinces the enemy attacked you in, troop movements, special issues, limited battle descriptions, etc. Want to make sure we keep some semblence of order and make use of other threads when appropriate.

Any other vulnerable province targets? I say keep the pressure up if you can, as soon as you can, but dust to dust would certainly be helpful. Of course melnorjr may have other advice.

Last edited by Septimius Severus on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 pm

viccio wrote:i encountered eriu in 136 and 146 and T'ien Ch'i in 193

What was the outcome, did you take both provinces?
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Septimius Severus wrote:

I saw his prophet kick the crap out of Eriu's pair of expansion thugs. Really lucky with a smite that bypassed the air shield on the sidhe lord and dropped mistform and glamor at the same time.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:
    Septimius Severus wrote:

I saw his prophet kick the crap out of Eriu's pair of expansion thugs. Really lucky with a smite that bypassed the air shield on the sidhe lord and dropped mistform and glamor at the same time.
    So it was a successful defense of at least one province?
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:45 pm

An intersting turn for me. One of my attacks on indies failed due to heavy cavalry. The other suceeded only to be lost when Ashdod attacked and routed my rather unprepared army in 281 via an Adon and five Sheshei's. I see a force of TC heavy horse in my neighboring province.

Ctis' 303 is in jeapardy at the moment. I have about 30 units nearby that could attempt to retake the lost province, have to run some tests though, it is unlikely. May have to settle for a fort in 295. Moving troops up to the front as quickly as possible. Wished I'd not posted my fort plans. Smile

More later.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:
    Septimius Severus wrote:

Smite isn't affected by air shield as it is not a missile attack.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Raiel wrote:O.K... I just ran through some tests to confirm my suspicions. Banish will be useless against the Vestals, as I feared. Suprisingly, poison is INCREDIBLY effective against them. Poison damage seems to ignore Twist Fate, too. I have poison slingers, but no way to ensure they deliver their package to the right address.

I'd still prefer to wait one turn (for my mages to get to the front) before pressing the attack, but I do have a slim chance of winning this one if I strike now.

Get your mages first. But your probably going to end up chasing his army while it runs away from you at this point.

and btw, if you set your poison slingers to fire closest, the vestals will run right through the poison clouds.

poison slingers are your key right now, especially if you use skellies to tank for you while your slingers poison the army to death.

Last edited by melnorjr on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Well my Capital is besieged. So income and recruitment are now down.

But the besiegers can't harm my walls until he adds in his other army. And even then some giants amongst the 80 odd defenders so it will be hard for him to breach the walls. I will get Construction 2 next turn so I should be able to build some gear including a Cauldron or two so I don't starve.

I see Caelum has an army next to me. Isurian (30) should be free of all but 1 of my PD if you are coming my way!

Marignon has not attacked and moved his army away. Can't see it now so not sure what is happening there.

I am going to attack Dural Woods (81) in the north if that is OK with Caelum?
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:Well my Capital is besieged. So income and recruitment are now down.

But the besiegers can't harm my walls until he adds in his other army. And even then some giants amongst the 80 odd defenders so it will be hard for him to breach the walls. I will get Construction 2 next turn so I should be able to build some gear including a Cauldron or two so I don't starve.

I see Caelum has an army next to me. Isurian (30) should be free of all but 1 of my PD if you are coming my way!

Marignon has not attacked and moved his army away. Can't see it now so not sure what is happening there.

I am going to attack Dural Woods (81) in the north if that is OK with Caelum?

I'm expecting battle with a vanheim army nest turn. He sees an empty province of mine and has an army next to it. he's got no shot of winning the battle either, because he's going to run 40 skinshifters into 30 elephants, some infantry, and 4 mages.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Twobits - I no longer need air gems, agartha has obscuro now. I don't know if he has any air gems, so I'm sending him two.
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:35 pm

melnorjr wrote:
    Raiel wrote:O.K... I just ran through some tests to confirm my suspicions. Banish will be useless against the Vestals, as I feared. Suprisingly, poison is INCREDIBLY effective against them. Poison damage seems to ignore Twist Fate, too. I have poison slingers, but no way to ensure they deliver their package to the right address.

Get your mages first. But your probably going to end up chasing his army while it runs away from you at this point.

and btw, if you set your poison slingers to fire closest, the vestals will run right through the poison clouds.

poison slingers are your key right now, especially if you use skellies to tank for you while your slingers poison the army to death.

Unfortunately, with as many chaff units as he has deployed, my slingers would likely waste all six shots long before the Vestals made it to the front lines. But I do think I'll recruit a few more.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Raiel wrote:
    melnorjr wrote:

Unfortunately, with as many chaff units as he has deployed, my slingers would likely waste all six shots long before the Vestals made it to the front lines. But I do think I'll recruit a few more.

right, but as his army moved forward the vestals would run through the poison clouds that your slingers leave wherever they shoot. the slingers would still be shooting the front line, but as his whole army moved, his vestals would travel over that spot.
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 pm

And you're assuming his archers aren't set to fire archers, to thereby annihilate my slingers before they fire a second (or first) shot, right? Sad
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Raiel wrote:And you're assuming his archers aren't set to fire archers, to thereby annihilate my slingers before they fire a second (or first) shot, right? Sad

They could be, and probably will be pretty quickly if they aren't now. so you split your slingers up into several smaller groups.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm

More detailed report later, but ow, Sheshai Anakim are a beating. Especially when there are 10 of them and they regenerate.

Lost virtually my entire army (certainly the entire useful component, except my prophet) to kill 9 units, mostly 3 Galeadites, a couple Edomites, and the balance in slingers. Then proceeded to watch the Sheshai Anakim just eat the remainder of my army (who didn't break until my forces were almost totally spent - so at least morale is high!).

I broke the Edomites and slingers in short order, but those crazy sheshai have like 19 morale and are virtually invulnerable. (My dai-bakemono can hit them, but they have better defense and each hit is 1-8ish damage).

So, I have Conj 3 almost 4, alt 1, and evoc 1. What should i be (a) summoning, (b) casting in combat to deal with these guys? What should i be researching. (Current plan is to finish conj 4 and start running down evocation as fast as I can). I've got a bakemono sorceror moving up to launch 4 cold strikes before retreating, but each of those is still only 2/5 of a Sheshai Anakim's hps.

I've got ~55 dai-bakemono and a mage or two that can meet him in my next province down the line.

I also lost a province adjoining my capitol to a knight attack event. This is annoying, to say the least, especially as it reduces the number of dai-bakemono I can produce by 4 (and I'm not completely sure what kind of army i need to deal with 16 knights).
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Squirrelloid wrote:More detailed report later, but ow, Sheshai Anakim are a beating. Especially when there are 10 of them and they regenerate.

Lost virtually my entire army (certainly the entire useful component, except my prophet) to kill 9 units, mostly 3 Galeadites, a couple Edomites, and the balance in slingers. Then proceeded to watch the Sheshai Anakim just eat the remainder of my army (who didn't break until my forces were almost totally spent - so at least morale is high!).

I broke the Edomites and slingers in short order, but those crazy sheshai have like 19 morale and are virtually invulnerable. (My dai-bakemono can hit them, but they have better defense and each hit is 1-8ish damage).

So, I have Conj 3 almost 4, alt 1, and evoc 1. What should i be (a) summoning, (b) casting in combat to deal with these guys? What should i be researching. (Current plan is to finish conj 4 and start running down evocation as fast as I can). I've got a bakemono sorceror moving up to launch 4 cold strikes before retreating, but each of those is still only 2/5 of a Sheshai Anakim's hps.

I've got ~55 dai-bakemono and a mage or two that can meet him in my next province down the line.

I also lost a province adjoining my capitol to a knight attack event. This is annoying, to say the least, especially as it reduces the number of dai-bakemono I can produce by 4 (and I'm not completely sure what kind of army i need to deal with 16 knights).

Shesai anakinm have high armor, high def, and berserk. he's got an earth bless for reinvigoration - for good reason. he's worried about fatigue. berserk increases encumbrance too, so that's even more reason to worry about it.

your best option I think is to fatigue them out. there are several ways to do this. Ao-oni are good, particularly for this, since they do stun damage.

you also might want to research enchantment 3 to get skeleton spam to help fatigue him out, which will also get you strength of giants, which would do a lot to get more damage through his high prot, especially if you went evocation 2 for rust mist.

Earth meld in alteration 2 would also help because it would mess up his grouping of troops, letting you swarm him better.

You also could try bakemono-sho(those 8g 1r ones) to waste his time and help fatigue him out.

And the last thing you want to do is fight a battle you cannot win. if you have to, run away and get reinforcements rather than fighting an army you know will beat you.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 pm

melnorjr wrote:
    Squirrelloid wrote:More detailed report later, but ow, Sheshai Anakim are a beating. Especially when there are 10 of them and they regenerate.

Shesai anakinm have high armor, high def, and berserk. he's got an earth bless for reinvigoration - for good reason. he's worried about fatigue. berserk increases encumbrance too, so that's even more reason to worry about it.

your best option I think is to fatigue them out. there are several ways to do this. Ao-oni are good, particularly for this, since they do stun damage.

you also might want to research enchantment 3 to get skeleton spam to help fatigue him out, which will also get you strength of giants, which would do a lot to get more damage through his high prot, especially if you went evocation 2 for rust mist.

Earth meld in alteration 2 would also help because it would mess up his grouping of troops, letting you swarm him better.

You also could try bakemono-sho(those 8g 1r ones) to waste his time and help fatigue him out.

And the last thing you want to do is fight a battle you cannot win. if you have to, run away and get reinforcements rather than fighting an army you know will beat you.

So you're saying I shouldn't engage him this next turn? Noted.

I should have Evocation 2 (rust mist) next turn. After that I suppose enchantment isn't an awful place to park my research for a little while.

It looks like the Yari troops are strictly superior, since they get a chance to repel (and the extra resource is not an issue...)

The problem with not engaging him next turn is then I'm out of choke points - unless by some miracle he doesn't attack...

Edit: Ok, the resource 4 ones are just as accessible to me as the others - yay abundant resources?

Last edited by Squirrelloid on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I didn't quite say don't fight him. I don't know the situation there quite as well as you. if you think you can win, do it, if not, don't fight him and waste troops.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:36 pm

melnorjr wrote:I didn't quite say don't fight him. I don't know the situation there quite as well as you. if you think you can win, do it, if not, don't fight him and waste troops.

20 PD + 55 dai-bakemono + 2 mages, 1 spamming frighten, one 'spamming' cold bolt. (He could also spam frighten). Vs. 10 Sheshai Anakim, 1 Adon, 1 Zuzzumite. He might take the time to retrieve his slingers/edomites, but i doubt it.

I think I would be in better shape for a combat next turn with rusting mist, but then i have no chokepoint.

Edit: Basically, does anyone think I have a chance in the combat described above? What kind of odds?

His last deployment: Sheshai-Anakim, Adon, Zuzzumite placed halfway back and holding

Proposed deployment: dai-bakemono on hold and attack rear placed as far forward as possible on the flanks. PD is obviously a mass that will come up the middle while i'm holding (and firing). Mages behind dai-bakemono on one flank (my right - should be opposite where his SAnakim were) to improve their chance of landing spells.

Notable benefits: This should let at least half of my dai-bakemono get around behind him and envelope him. Also, since his Zuzzumite is right behind his SAnakim, I might be able to snipe him with my archer fire.

Edit Edit: Hey C'Tis - care to brutalize Ashdod from your end - i think this will lead to rampaging raiding armies rather than a big fight unless i guess lucky next turn. Fortunately I have good cash-generation from oceanic provinces which he can't get to...
    Raiel

Post  Raiel Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm a turn or two away from engaging Ashdod on my southern border. It will be awhile before that has any impact on your situation.

If you have any spells that grant a precision bonus, you're better off using those (earth grip could at least stagger the formation and give you a chance to swarm each giant individually). I'm assuming your mages are the big-guys (300g) - they can't hit the broad side of a barn door in the middle of the day with a laser scope and the hand of God himself guiding their spell casting.

Yes, I think you have a chance. Not a particularly good one, though. BTW, check your PM again if you haven't already.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content