Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+7
Skinu
TwoBits
Raiel
Lavaere
rdonj
melnorjr
Squirrelloid
11 posters

Turn 2...

Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Turn 2... Empty Turn 2...

Post  Squirrelloid Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:09 pm

...is up. Discuss.

Still waiting for an answer to my questions from the turn 1 thread, in particular:

Is it worth sending my first army towards the vets when it'll be weaker, or using it to collect my back field and sending stronger armies in rapid succession vet-ward?
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Turn 2... Empty Re: Turn 2...

Post  melnorjr Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Squirrelloid wrote:...is up. Discuss.

Still waiting for an answer to my questions from the turn 1 thread, in particular:

Is it worth sending my first army towards the vets when it'll be weaker, or using it to collect my back field and sending stronger armies in rapid succession vet-ward?

I'd collect backfield and send stronger armies at the vets. a beginning expansion army isn't going to have a huge effect.

Turn two status: no anomalous negative events, scout is moving toward Vet6. everything seems to be progressing in line.

I see C'tis captured a province already - nice. Hope you got no afflictions.

atm we also have the top 6 incomes.

Marignon also seems to have an awake research God - which makes sense.

Nice Domspread, btw Jotunheim.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:49 pm

SC headed to 312 (Awe +0 Fear +10 GK vs. ~10 barbarians). Army headed to 308 (5 dai-bakemono archers, 10 bakemono-shu archers, 15 bakemono-shu vs. ~30 woodsman and blowpipes). That's to my NW and NE respectively - both are wooded high-resource provinces (a definite plus from my perspective). Mage is researching. Prophet is preaching for lack of a more worthwhile activity (dominion spread is good).

Next turn: Depending on what 297 looks like i'm either sending the army there, or, if that looks too tough, to 278 (my capitol's SE) with support from this turn's dai-bakemono purchases lead by my prophet. I'd like to start building a fortress in 297 or 271 asap. GK is probably headed to 334 (that thin peninsula NW and 2 spaces away from my capitol) before diving into the sea.

Mercenaries: there are elephants, see you in the merc thread.

Edit:
    Change in plans: there are ~70 'militia, archers, heavy infantry' in the province to my WNW with the crown in it. I can cast Air Shield with my GK on round 1. I think i'm going to send the GK there - i sort of expect him to get surrounded anyway, so the increased numbers aren't actually that worrying. And its the same resource return with about 4x the cash.

Edit Edit:
    Ok, that wasn't really a question. Changed.

I'll submit my orders probably sometime tonight.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Squirrelloid wrote:SC headed to 312 (Awe +0 Fear +10 GK vs. ~10 barbarians). Army headed to 308 (5 dai-bakemono archers, 10 bakemono-shu archers, 15 bakemono-shu vs. ~30 woodsman and blowpipes). That's to my NW and NE respectively - both are wooded high-resource provinces (a definite plus from my perspective). Mage is researching. Prophet is preaching for lack of a more worthwhile activity (dominion spread is good).

Next turn: Depending on what 297 looks like i'm either sending the army there, or, if that looks too tough, to 278 (my capitol's SE) with support from this turn's dai-bakemono purchases lead by my prophet. I'd like to start building a fortress in 297 or 271 asap. GK is probably headed to 334 (that thin peninsula NW and 2 spaces away from my capitol) before diving into the sea.

Mercenaries: there are elephants, see you in the merc thread.

Edit:
    Change in plans: there are ~70 'militia, archers, heavy infantry' in the province to my WNW with the crown in it. I can cast Air Shield with my GK on round 1. I think i'm going to send the GK there - i sort of expect him to get surrounded anyway, so the increased numbers aren't actually that worrying. And its the same resource return with about 4x the cash.

Edit Edit:
    Ok, that wasn't really a question. Changed.

I'll submit my orders probably sometime tonight.

This is an excellent post. Very useful from both the standpoint of not having army collisions and letting people know what's going on in general. This is the sort of posting that needs to happen every turn for the team to perform to its fullest potential.
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Lavaere Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Woohoo, brought everything and still got 500 left. Bad thing though, looking at the score I just noticed I neglected Dominion
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 pm

I (C'tis) am in a bit of a quandry... I got my first province without any affliction, but both of my nearby forests are populated by heavy defenders: bloodhenge druids and vines to the east and jade amazons to the northeast.

Based on a few tests, my dragon has about a 30% chance of losing (possibly dying) if I attack the druids. If I don't, I'll need an extra 200 to 300 gold to keep pace with my original plan for army and fort building. Can anyone afford to send me some this turn and probably the next two turns, since my forests may be untouchable for awhile?

My primary concern is that I won't have a fort built before turn 7... I fear that the vets will be on me before I have a chance to research and mobilize.

So, do I risk my pretender to stay on schedule, or delay my offensive by an extra turn or two?

(I ran dozens of test starts with this build, and never had such an uphill struggle around my province - I hate Murphy.)
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306

Post  melnorjr Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Raiel wrote:I (C'tis) am in a bit of a quandry... I got my first province without any affliction, but both of my nearby forests are populated by heavy defenders: bloodhenge druids and vines to the east and jade amazons to the northeast.

Based on a few tests, my dragon has about a 30% chance of losing (possibly dying) if I attack the druids. If I don't, I'll need an extra 200 to 300 gold to keep pace with my original plan for army and fort building. Can anyone afford to send me some this turn and probably the next two turns, since my forests may be untouchable for awhile?

My primary concern is that I won't have a fort built before turn 7... I fear that the vets will be on me before I have a chance to research and mobilize.

So, do I risk my pretender to stay on schedule, or delay my offensive by an extra turn or two?

(I ran dozens of test starts with this build, and never had such an uphill struggle around my province - I hate Murphy.)

Don't risk your pretender. it's more important to keep him around to expand into provinces you know you can take. I haven't any spare gold in the next two turns - I absolutely need what I've got or it will set back my expansion dramatically.
    Lavaere

Number of posts : 111

Post  Lavaere Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:50 pm

I don't want to go through the hassle of editing and resubmiting this turn. But next turn I'll see about sending you some extra cash
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:25 pm

OK, by default, I'm attacking two rear provinces, as that's where the resources are, and the weaker opposition.

Against a combination of militia, light infantry, and heavy infantry, I'm sending my prophet, 11 medium-heavy infantry, 15 light-medium infantry, and 7 gladiator shock-troops set to take the initial hit. This province will let me start recruiting indie commanders ASAP.

The second force is commanded by a Theurg Acolyte (I want him out and ready to build temples and/or labs very soon - hopefully on the site of my second fortress in a few turns. The Acolyte can only command 10 units, and I'm sending him against 50 Bear Tribesmen (I'm hoping that estimate is high), but 5 of the units are the very hard hitting and hard to kill serpent riders, with a screen of 5 medium-heavy infantry. That combo has worked well in testing.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Sending my army north to capture an easy territory of 20 or so deer tribe, with one elephant 15 archers 15 light (flying) infantry and 7 infantry to flank my elephant. Pretender researching, scout at the enemy capital next turn.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237

Post  LumenPlacidum Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Sending commander and support mage to (105) to fight Militia/Heavy Infantry there. Spy is moving to (117) towards the center to get information about the enemy. Continuing to research evocation with my pretender god and recruiting another sorcerer and a bunch of spiders (and seeing as there are a lot of ___________ Tribe provinces around me, archers).

Not bidding on mercs.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:23 am

I am attacking 21 this turn. Unfortunately my one resource province is defended by two Illusionsist. One of which is A6! Both have magic items too.

And it looks like I may have Bloodhenge Druids in another but I can't be sure yet. No archer provinces (apart from the Druids' Woodsmen) so not a good looking start....
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:41 am

Hoplosternum wrote:I am attacking 21 this turn. Unfortunately my one resource province is defended by two Illusionsist. One of which is A6! Both have magic items too.

And it looks like I may have Bloodhenge Druids in another but I can't be sure yet. No archer provinces (apart from the Druids' Woodsmen) so not a good looking start....

Well, the super-air mages suck, but I believe there's a magic site always associated with that (was the A6 mage named Bolivar?), which might be very useful later. Not sure if you have to search for the site first though.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:53 am

TwoBits wrote:
    Hoplosternum wrote:I am attacking 21 this turn. Unfortunately my one resource province is defended by two Illusionsist. One of which is A6! Both have magic items too.

Well, the super-air mages suck, but I believe there's a magic site always associated with that (was the A6 mage named Bolivar?), which might be very useful later. Not sure if you have to search for the site first though.

He certainly was / is called Bolivar. Well I hope there is a magic site there, but in my experience most tough indies - blood henge druids, wizards etc. - don't signify anything. Hopefully this one is different Smile
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:27 am

Squirrelloid wrote:Question 1: Is it more worthwhile to send an early army towards the vet player, or use my early (weaker) army to collect my rearmost territories and be able to send stronger armies towards the vet (and in closer succession to each other at that)?

Question 2: I see a cloud castle 2 territories to my E and a crown to my NW - do those represent anything in particular?
    Re: Question 1, if you've only one army to expand (and can't reasonably split it in two) and no pretender to help, I believe it might be best to take as many of the cap neighbors as you can first, this will boost the resources of your initial fort and enable you to send more/better troops towards the vets. But you do need to get moving in that direction as soon as pratical.

Re: Question 2, the crowns are victory point locations, they have no meaning since we are not using victory points. Anything else you see on the map is just decoration, there are no specials on this map.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 am

[quote="Hoplosternum"][quote="TwoBits"]
    Hoplosternum wrote:He certainly was / is called Bolivar. Well I hope there is a magic site there, but in my experience most tough indies - blood henge druids, wizards etc. - don't signify anything. Hopefully this one is different Smile

I think Bolivar (as opposed to other indie Air mages) is a unique indie, like the Earth Mother, or the Cyclops, and I'm pretty sure as such that there is a special site attached to him (something like 2-4 air gems a turn, plus recruitable illusionists). I can't make any guarantees, of course Wink

Does he have nice magic items? Well, when you're finally ready to face him, you should probably try to send some of your wolf riders down the flanks (once the indie forces have committed, that is) and bag him before they route and he escapes. You know, if possible Smile
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:21 am

Attacking indies in 315, 309, and 279.
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134

Post  Joelz Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:33 am

Nothing special in Ulm, I seem to be surrounded mostly by light infantry, attacking indies 159 and 167. Should be able to begin researching construction on turn 4.
    I can take care of the 300 gold a turn delivery to C'tis.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:34 am

Septimius Severus wrote:Attacking indies in 315, 309, and 279.

3 attacks at once? How are you pulling that off, even with a gorgon?
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134

Post  Joelz Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:50 am

Looks like the turn has been played. Time for the turn 3 thread...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content