Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+8
rdonj
viccio
Pelthin
Raiel
LumenPlacidum
TwoBits
melnorjr
Squirrelloid
12 posters

Turn 13

Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Turn 13 Empty Turn 13

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:31 am

Coming soon... I hope. When it does, you know what to do.

(Server shows turn posted 15 minutes ago, still haven't seen mine.)
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Turn 13 Empty Re: Turn 13

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 am

Attack on vanheim's cap failed - he had counters prepared(earth meld and false fetters(he has alteration 2 and enchantment 3 minimums). The south is pretty much doomed. I can't reattack vanheim because marignon is running over my land so I have to use my armies to corner and run him down, which will waste a huge amount of my time. I lost about 20 elephants and no mages attacking vanheim, so I'm taking whats left of that army and running down marignon.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:32 am

The turn, it is here.

All attacks successful. Indies kicked out (again) of Troll Woods and Oune, another ocean province conquered, and Ashdod forcibly removed from 280.

Ashdod's army is *nowhere* to be seen... I'm confused, really confused. Main army moving to 302 to stop Ashdod from reinforcing against Pythium. I'm changing up the orders on my mages slightly since he saw their last scripts - now SummEarPow, Rust Mist x2, Hold, Rusting Mist. That should keep him from dodging a good misting. Not sure how much I should change my army formation since it does what I want it to do. Possibly vulnerable to being attacked up close and personal right away - maybe i should set my bakemono-sho to attack... Thoughts?

Pythium, I know you're busy with Ermor, but if you can keep Ashdod from attacking me in the rear it would be helpful. (Try pinging his army with a lonely indie commander - if you act first, you can stop his army from moving, if he acts first you might just get the territory back. He seems to have put 1 PD in Farseer mountains, so an army of about 10 units can probably overwhelm that if you want to be more confident about retaking a province as he's vacating it - but that means losing 10 units + commander if you stop him from moving. Actually, if you set said commander to 'retreat'... And knowing which of you or Ashdod acts first could be quite useful information since that's constant across turns).

Despite really wanting my GK to settle down, my current location lets me attack an Amber Clan Triton province - which he should take without any problems, and would give my aquatic army a headache otherwise. So off he goes. (Unless we successfully took Ermor's capitol, then i'll go sit next to it to work on dom-killing him.) -- Edit: actually, he wants to site search where he is, hoping for a castle, and hoping to pump some dominion into likely attack targets. I might just stealth next to Ermor next turn if we've taken their capitol and held it.

Lots of moving units around in my territory. 49 bakemono-sho + 4 Ao-Oni led by a bakemono sorceror with D3 (banefire when i get to Evoc 6) moving to reinforce my main army against Ashdod. Dai-bakemono from retaking indie-captured provinces are moving to fortresses to pickup more units next turn before heading towards the front. 32 dai-bakemono attacking an indie province SE of my 2nd fortress (Should give me a better look at what's going on with Bandar Log as well as moving me towards some provinces owned by Ashdod while improving my resource gathering at fortress 2).

Buying 2 bakemono sorcerors, ~30 dai-bakemono archers, ~25 bakemono-sho with little armor and ~6 triton troopers. Summoning 4 Ao-Oni. Forging a Dwarven Hammer (there go all my earth gems). Moving a bakemono sorceror with a ring of water breathing into the ocean to build a lab next turn. Unit production currently resource limited.

Almost 400 gold remaining. Contemplating a bid on farstrikers, but otherwise will save it for next turn (build lab, possibly more troops).

In other news, my large army could use some method of getting food - can i trouble anyone for pots of gruel or endless wineskins? (see you in the forge).

Research: Currently split between Enchantment and Evocation. Don't have enough to get evocation 4 next turn, nor enchantment 3, which are the relevant benchmarks (i'm 36 from Ench 2, which is useless to me, so even though i could finish it i'm not feeling particularly inspired to do so), so getting halfway from Evoc 3 to 4, and putting some work into enchantment for later.

Last edited by Squirrelloid on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 am

Lost at Ermor Sad He pulled back his forces from 355 to defend his capital, and with his PD, I was just plain outnumbered. No commanders lost, and I managed to inflict some casualties (6 regular forces, and 19 undead), but lost 57 of my own units, and now must reinforce at 358 (I should have 165 units there next turn). It'll be another turn before I can try again. He did not use his gladiators in the battle - I bet he's recruiting them to man the walls.

Well, the upshot is, he's got all his forces concentrated in his capital now, with big enemy armies to either side - hopefully it's just a matter of time...

Ashdod linked up two armies and took 321, so now he's got three commanders, and 18 sacred giants, including 4-5 of his super-elites. I'm working to contain the situation. I'm also going to try the Magic Duel solution (as two of his commanders are the S2 Adons), with Teleporting and Returning S4 Arch Theurgs. Odds and money-cost are in my favor, and also should screw up his troop movements if I can kill the guys leading his giants.

Oh, those giants have 3/13 movement, so they'll almost certainly go first unless I use Cataphracts and a mounted commander (at least that's how I understand movement?).
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:47 am

Twobits, I know 302 is better for stopping Ashdod from resupporting, but i'm thinking he's going to try to anticipate the attack on 302. Now, if you think your theurges have a good shot at shutting down his commanders, or at least one of them, then attacking there is definitely worthwhile because if he tries to pull back to defend I can deal with whatever is left trivially. Otherwise it might be worthwhile attacking 284 instead to keep him guessing. I'd rather engage in as asymmetric of battles as possible (in my favor) at the moment than fight a pitched giants vs. bakemono battle, but if you say the odds are in your favor i'll trust you on that. (Of course, I keep expecting him to pull back and defend against my army, but he might have waited to get a look at my scripts... btw, what were his scripts like?)
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am

TwoBits wrote:Oh, those giants have 3/13 movement, so they'll almost certainly go first unless I use Cataphracts and a mounted commander (at least that's how I understand movement?).

As far as I can tell, the game engine handles movement stupidly. Ie, it orders the countries at the start of the game, possibly alphabetic or reverse alphabetic, and then always moves armies in that order. This is not what the manual says, but the manual is wrong afaict. (Manual claims army move order is determined at random - its not).
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Squirrelloid, here's their script: Giants - hold and attack. The Adons - Blessing, Personal Luck, Body Ethereal, Resist Magic, Hold and attack. The Zamzummite - Bless x 3, Animate Skeletons x 2.

I'll have two S4 guys going up against two S2 guys, so I should bag both, one at a minimum, and if I lost twice, well heck, I swear I'll never buy another lottery ticket again! affraid

I'm also working to cordon them off from moving further into my territory - 7 Hydras and other assorted forces will retake 316, 55 gladiators (if they don't quit after fighting a spy in 323) and another Arch Theurg to assist the PD in 332, 25 Cataphracts (their "debilitating" poison attack might prove interesting) a dozen gladiators and a Theurg with PD in 325. That should do the job if I can kill one or both of his Adons.

Is that really how map movement works? I better test that out. OK, I did have a potential example last turn - I had a scout in 321 try to attack Ashdod's force in 302, but we seem to have passed each other. Maybe using a scout gives different results?

Raiel, if that thug is still bothering you next turn, let me know - if it works this turn, I can try my teleporting Magic Duel squad against him later. If anyone else spots a thug or SC with low Astral, let me know. This is a trick Arco and Bandar can pull too, but sounds like they might not have the assets available.

Last edited by TwoBits on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 pm

TwoBits wrote:Squirrelloid, here's their script: Giants - hold and attack. The Adons - Blessing, Personal Luck, Body Ethereal, Resist Magic, Hold and attack. The Zamzummite - Bless x 3, Animate Skeletons x 2.

I'll have two S4 guys going up against two S2 guys, so I should bag both, one at a minimum, and if I lost twice, well heck, I swear I'll never buy another lottery ticket again! affraid

I'm also working to cordon them off from moving further into my territory - 7 Hydras and other assorted forces will retake 316, 55 gladiators (if they don't quit after fighting a spy in 323) and another Arch Theurg to assist the PD in 332, 25 Cataphracts (their "debilitating" poison attack might prove interesting) a dozen gladiators and a Theurg with PD in 325. That should do the job if I can kill one or both of his Adons.

Is that really how map movement works? I better test that out.

Raiel, if that thug is still bothering you next turn, let me know - if it works this turn, I can try my teleporting Magic Duel squad against him later. If anyone else spots a thug or SC with low Astral, let me know. This is a trick Arco and Bandar can pull too, but sounds like they might not have the assets available.

I will be able to do that next turn. Don't have magic duel yet.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Found a site, but never got to see it because troglodytes took over. I hate it when that happens.

I'm in a position to attack the Marignon forces that are bothering Arcoscephale, but he's got 30 more royal guard coming in to reinforce. If anyone has ANY remote combat spell (like Call of the Wild (Conj4 N4) or Call of the Winds (Conj 3 A2) or Arouse Hunger (Alt4 D3) or something) and can target province 91 to cancel his cavalry's movement, that would be awesome. Then, I can use my archer shields plus relatively fast spider cavalry to eat his crossbowmen, then I can push his cavalry back into his provinces, with Arcoscephale taking his provinces back behind me.

Edit: Though it may be too much to hope for, it would also work if someone has an expendable scout in that province and orders him to attack current province, I think.
    Raiel

Number of posts : 188
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Raiel Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:26 pm

O.K... if you guys (TwoBits and melnorjr) will have the Astral resources available to pop in on that thug next turn, I'm going to just ignore him.

It's actually too bad no one can afford to do that this turn, as he represents a significant investment of gems at this point in the game - losing him on his very first deployment might be a serious blow to namad's morale. Of course, he may be teleporting his own mages in to counter this possibility.

TwoBits: I think I can take Ermor's capital this turn. It's risky, but he has so few archers that I don't think he can repulse even a small force backed by poison slingers and mages.
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54

Post  Pelthin Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Well I lost to an Indie force of cav and heavy inf. I thought I had the forces to win, but not only did I lose, but they took out my entire force. Gah..

Took one more water province. Massing forces in the water to play raiders in a turn or two.

I cast more Golomns and held steady with building fort to attack with.

Looking for sites, and not finding any.

Let me know if I can send any gems to anyone. I have same as last time. No extra earth, but some of others.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Two Bits: Sent all 3 astral gems i have to you. Might as well help re-imburse you for taking down Ashdod's annoying, especially since I can't use these pearls so they aren't doing anything in my hands...
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Pelthin wrote:Well I lost to an Indie force of cav and heavy inf. I thought I had the forces to win, but not only did I lose, but they took out my entire force. Gah..

Took one more water province. Massing forces in the water to play raiders in a turn or two.

Let me know if I can send any gems to anyone. I have same as last time. No extra earth, but some of others.

Could Agartha go south instead of north in the water?

Defensively speaking, it'll be easier on both of us. Also, i may end up with a fortress such that I want the northern water province you could theoretically attack this turn. (And they could really use you in the water down south, after all).
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Post  Pelthin Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Abysia has the provinces unless you want me to take over those prov from Abysia. I can put myself in a holding pattern in the water if you like and leave the northern area alone.

Just let me know.

Squirrelloid wrote:
    Pelthin wrote:Well I lost to an Indie force of cav and heavy inf. I thought I had the forces to win, but not only did I lose, but they took out my entire force. Gah..

Could Agartha go south instead of north in the water?

Defensively speaking, it'll be easier on both of us. Also, i may end up with a fortress such that I want the northern water province you could theoretically attack this turn. (And they could really use you in the water down south, after all).
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Pelthin wrote:Abysia has the provinces unless you want me to take over those prov from Abysia. I can put myself in a holding pattern in the water if you like and leave the northern area alone.

Just let me know.

I didn't even know Abysia was in the water!

People need to post more maps in the Maps thread.

Um, hmm... I suppose you can kick those Ichthyids out then. Um, I have a lot of the northern provinces, I'm just sort of picking up stragglers... Now I need to look at the map again. I suppose any fortresses i end up with don't need *that* many resources...

Edit: Sure, go ahead and take the indie province you can see. Unfortunately, i have you quite cut off beyond that.
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Post  Pelthin Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 pm

I don't need the water prov, I will just support Abysia in the south if something starts to attack him.

I will keep my golomns on dry land for now and support the land war and gem production. Smile

Squirrelloid wrote:
    Pelthin wrote:Abysia has the provinces unless you want me to take over those prov from Abysia. I can put myself in a holding pattern in the water if you like and leave the northern area alone.

Just let me know.

I didn't even know Abysia was in the water!

People need to post more maps in the Maps thread.

Um, hmm... I suppose you can kick those Ichthyids out then. Um, I have a lot of the northern provinces, I'm just sort of picking up stragglers... Now I need to look at the map again. I suppose any fortresses i end up with don't need *that* many resources...

Edit: Sure, go ahead and take the indie province you can see. Unfortunately, i have you quite cut off beyond that.
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I am going to South but there are some territorie with strong indi...

I take another provinces to TC but now i find a big army and i I withdraw temporarily

i've spared 250 gold if anyone need.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Oh, also what might work to cut off reinforcement is if someone has a "spare" mage that can teleport/cloud trapeze, then they could zoom in and attack to negate movement. Hell, if it's teleport, then they could even spend their first turn with returning scripted. It's what, 4 gems total? I could probably cover the costs even.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:57 pm

For those of you not looking at the mercenary thread, i've withdrawn my interest in farstrikers in preference to buying some shark knights. (I suppose I technically have enough for a minimal bid on the farstrikers... but I doubt I'd get them for that...).
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:01 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:Found a site, but never got to see it because troglodytes took over. I hate it when that happens.

If anyone has ANY remote combat spell (like Call of the Wild (Conj4 N4) or Call of the Winds (Conj 3 A2) or Arouse Hunger (Alt4 D3) or something) and can target province 91 to cancel his cavalry's movement, that would be awesome.

That won't work. Attacks in the magic phase don't affect movement orders.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm

rdonj wrote:
    LumenPlacidum wrote:Found a site, but never got to see it because troglodytes took over. I hate it when that happens.

If anyone has ANY remote combat spell (like Call of the Wild (Conj4 N4) or Call of the Winds (Conj 3 A2) or Arouse Hunger (Alt4 D3) or something) and can target province 91 to cancel his cavalry's movement, that would be awesome.

That won't work. Attacks in the magic phase don't affect movement orders.

Its actually impossible to interdict him, because movement to friendly provinces happens before offensive movement in the movement phase.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Yes.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm

To be sure, I'm really not afraid of marignon. I can deal with his troops easily enough. when he starts doing fire arrows It'll be harder, but until then, he really doesn't want to fight me. The only issue is that fighting him, I can't fight vanheim.

I'm building troops and casting to fight vanheim at the moment, and may be able to attack him effectively at some point...but it'll be awhile since I have to root out marignon from my land.

Twobits, how are you set for a teleport-magic duel attack on the Ashdod SC? either of us can do it next turn, but if you have mages that are relatively free I would prefer that you do it, because my mages right now are going to be going into combat to soul slay marignon's expensive heavy cavalry. I could spare a mage or two if needed, but if yours aren't going to be busy next turn, it would be easier on me if you did it. however, if it would detract much from your attack on ermor, let me know and I'll do it.

and squirrel. spells go off before movement, so teleporting into the province should initiate combat - you would fight him, but he would go ahead and move anyway.
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Post  Squirrelloid Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 pm

melnorjr wrote:and squirrel. spells go off before movement, so teleporting into the province should initiate combat - you would fight him, but he would go ahead and move anyway.

Yes, i was supplementing rdonj's point. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
    LumenPlacidum
    LumenPlacidum

Post  LumenPlacidum Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Aww, really? I swear I've had people cast spells at me and interrupt my movement. Hmm, I guess I'll have to attack him when he's at strength. Shame I have no fresh spider riders... they're awesome at dealing with crossbowmen since the first shot (there's frequently only one volley when they're alone) just kills the rider and makes the spider scarier.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content