Team Noob HQ

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Noob HQ

This forum is the center of communication for Team Noob, for the Noobs vs. Vets Dominions MP game.

+8
rdonj
viccio
Pelthin
Raiel
LumenPlacidum
TwoBits
melnorjr
Squirrelloid
12 posters

Turn 13

Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2009-06-15

Turn 13 - Page 2 Empty Re: Turn 13

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 pm

I am coming out Shocked I will try and take on the 70 + 40 besiegers. Quite a lot of them are slingers, Barbs and tribesmen. So it's not his best stuff. There are Skinshifters too but as long as it's not too many I hope my two Thugs, spells and remaining troops will do the business for me. It will be close though. But I think it's now or never.

So caelum - please DON'T attack my capital. Unless you have a big force in Isurian in which case I'll cancel my attack and let you do it....

His main army of Skinshifters and Einheres is moving north after my pretender. They are with two Vanjarls and a small group of Vans. Unfortunately he will be able to attack my under construction fort one turn before it completes Crying or Very sad But my Pretender has a chance with mistform, ironskin & body etherial. Plus a lot of support forces (Lion archers, crossbows and a few giants and goblins).

I will also be attacking two Marignon provinces this turn after the one I took last turn. I will attack Pania (102) in the north and Nenhaboz (52) in the Centre towards Vanheim.

Thanks for the cash it's really helping to keep me in the game. But the next two turns are crucial I'll either be in for a while longer or out completely.

Here is a map of the area:

Turn 13 - Page 2 Jot1310

If anyone has either seeking arrows or Flames from Afar (or anything really!) please hit Rhas (26) which is by my capital and going to reinforce. Or Dragon Pointe (59) where his main army is. Not my Capital as I think that is most likely to hurt me Razz
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:29 pm

LumenPlacidum wrote:Aww, really? I swear I've had people cast spells at me and interrupt my movement. Hmm, I guess I'll have to attack him when he's at strength. Shame I have no fresh spider riders... they're awesome at dealing with crossbowmen since the first shot (there's frequently only one volley when they're alone) just kills the rider and makes the spider scarier.

Well a magic attack can spoil movement, just not the mechanics of movement. An SC or Thug teleporting in and killing the army interrupts the move in a manner of speaking Wink And spells like seeking arrow, earth attack and manifestation that can attack leaders will sometimes kill a leader with troops who then just remain behind.

So good spells can stop/disrupt movement because of their affects. But not by actually cancelling the move if the leader and army is intact.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:54 pm

And please can an air mage power research seeking arrow? And then start spamming it Very Happy

I will go as far as to say it would still largely paralize Vanheim at this point (and so save the south) as he is largely using mundane leaders at this point. And largely stop Marignon, Ermor or TC moving armies and mages at all.

Sure Ashdod and Eriu (stealth) are largely immune. But multiple seeking arrows decimate armies by decapitating them. No leaders means no battle plans and no magery on the battlefield. It means large armies are either stranded or only half advance allowing us to destroy them in detail. And there is no easy defence.

It's a huge spell in the first couple of years when armies tend to just have two or three leaders.

And its still good later when you can use it to pick off site searchers or indie mage spots (like Vanheim's Adepts of Iron). I have just frightened off a lone Marignon Grand master (F4S2). Thats a nice capital only mage worth 270 gold which could be killed off with a single seeking arrow.

It is so much better than Fires from Afar (which largely damages a few of the troops). Not that I want to disrespect fires from afar Wink, especially if someone can cast a couple at the armies attacking me.
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2009-02-01

Post  Septimius Severus Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Good to hear from Pelthin and Lavaere finally. I thought they had went rogue. Would have been a shame to have two huge noob armies run into each other and annihilate each other because of a failure to simply communicate.

Lavaere, you've got 2 provinces left? How bout a map or something so we can see what is going on? Do you plan on holding out, do you want remain in the game, do you want to hole up in friendly territory?

Ermor must be destroyed to compensate for the possible loss of Bandar and Jottunheim and to keep the ratio of N:V at 2:1.

I nominate Shinuyama (Squirreloid) as our admiral in charge of all water provinces and naval forces.

I'd recommend Viccio and Pelthin only keep minimal numbers of amphibious only units in their northern water territories, so that Shin can come and scoop the provinces up. Viccio, of course should head southward in the water, perhaps with Pelthin on his heels (taking provinces from him, which in turn will be taken by Shin), so you both can make use of your amhib units via sea routes, rather than overland.

Once we remove Ermor, we can work our way down the line and try to rescue/aid the south.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Just as a point of semantics, it's not entirely the south that is in trouble right now... it's the west. Arco and machaka are still alive and more or less intact, if jotunheim and bandar go down that'll be two of 6 noobs down in the west.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 pm

rdonj wrote:Just as a point of semantics, it's not entirely the south that is in trouble right now... it's the west. Arco and machaka are still alive and more or less intact, if jotunheim and bandar go down that'll be two of 6 noobs down in the west.

Well, I suppose that's true. I'm perfectly fine at the moment - in no danger of being killed by marignon.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:I am coming out Shocked I will try and take on the 70 + 40 besiegers. Quite a lot of them are slingers, Barbs and tribesmen. So it's not his best stuff. There are Skinshifters too but as long as it's not too many I hope my two Thugs, spells and remaining troops will do the business for me. It will be close though. But I think it's now or never.

So caelum - please DON'T attack my capital. Unless you have a big force in Isurian in which case I'll cancel my attack and let you do it....

His main army of Skinshifters and Einheres is moving north after my pretender. They are with two Vanjarls and a small group of Vans. Unfortunately he will be able to attack my under construction fort one turn before it completes Crying or Very sad But my Pretender has a chance with mistform, ironskin & body etherial. Plus a lot of support forces (Lion archers, crossbows and a few giants and goblins).

I will also be attacking two Marignon provinces this turn after the one I took last turn. I will attack Pania (102) in the north and Nenhaboz (52) in the Centre towards Vanheim.

Thanks for the cash it's really helping to keep me in the game. But the next two turns are crucial I'll either be in for a while longer or out completely.

Here is a map of the area:

Turn 13 - Page 2 Jot1310

If anyone has either seeking arrows or Flames from Afar (or anything really!) please hit Rhas (26) which is by my capital and going to reinforce. Or Dragon Pointe (59) where his main army is. Not my Capital as I think that is most likely to hurt me Razz

I have 8 elephants with 6 infantry and three heavy casters outside your cap, I think I can take him with that force, trample is good against skinshifters, if you want to save your men.

Im getting const 4 next turn so I can forge you some wicked gear, and starting research on ench for seeking arrow, should have that in two turns.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 pm

You might do some damage, skinu, but you won't kill them. He fought off 30 elephants, bout 12 infantry, and 4 mages(admittedly not thunderstriking) at his cap with 60 or so guys, and hes going to move the troops in Rhas to Jotunheim by next turn, so he'll have easily over a hundred men.

I'm preparing another army to fight him with a different tactic once I get marignon off my back.
    Skinu
    Skinu

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post  Skinu Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm

melnorjr wrote:You might do some damage, skinu, but you won't kill them. He fought off 30 elephants, bout 12 infantry, and 4 mages(admittedly not thunderstriking) at his cap with 60 or so guys, and hes going to move the troops in Rhas to Jotunheim by next turn, so he'll have easily over a hundred men.

I'm preparing another army to fight him with a different tactic once I get marignon off my back.

Allright, ill push from another direction then.

Question : is orb lightning always inferior to thunderstrike?
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:58 pm

It depends on your level of air magic.

orb lighting is best with high magic say 4+ it's also better in general on single enemies-thugs and such, because it will hit them more than once.

so say an air 8 pretender would be incredibly good at pwning SCs with cloud trapeze/orb lightning. it causes fatigue as well so you would just about instantly fatigue out an thug or SC.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2009-06-12

Post  TwoBits Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:46 pm

I should be able to go after Ashdod's thug next turn, if I deal successfully with the two Adons in 321 this turn. Unless he has some sort of psychic presentiment, he'll still be in the field for me to get next turn.

Thanks for the Pearls, Squirrelloid! That'll help defray the cost of Teleporting and Magic Dueling Smile

I'm going to bid on the Farstrikers (and I might put a minimum bid in on the Boar Mage to do a little Nature site searching - I got 8 N gems in a luck event), which would allow me to attack Ermor's capital next turn if C'tis is repulsed, or to head south and start gobbling up Ermorian territories if he succeeds (good luck Raiel!).
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:38 am

You know, Twobits, given his scripts... any of your mages who win their mind duel could stick around to wreak further havoc for a couple of turns. I'm thinking things which will stick around - cursing, horror marking, all kinds of nasty stuff. None of his units are even going to move until turn 3... And if you're in the back they won't make it to you for 3-4 turns, (and i'm being generous on how fast they are). So that's like a full specific spell script of nasty you can drop on him before retreating.

(Ok, if he has PD you might want to limit yourself to dueling + 2 more - but his PD isn't especially fast either).
    viccio

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2009-03-31

Post  viccio Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 am

I can cast fires from afar in Rhas (26) and 59 , and i sent 265 Gold to Jotunheim
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:31 am

rdonj wrote:Just as a point of semantics, it's not entirely the south that is in trouble right now... it's the west. Arco and machaka are still alive and more or less intact, if jotunheim and bandar go down that'll be two of 6 noobs down in the west.
    Correct, the vets seem to have placed the greater pressure on the west, I discussed that possiblity in our strategy thread, of the vets leaning to one side or another, though I figured Jottun and Pythium would be in greatest danger in that situation.

Well with Ermor out of the way, that leaves it 4 to 1 vs Ashdod. I like those odds. How bout you?
    Septimius Severus
    Septimius Severus

Post  Septimius Severus Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 am

Well, Eriu attempted to assissinate my Gorgon with a sneaking Sidhe Lord. He lost and I recovered a ring of Tamed Lightning and a Shield of Gleaming Gold from him.

Took 283 from indies successfully.

Thanks Ulm for the fire bolas.

Agartha, whats say you and I coordinate on taking out that fort of TC's in 228.

Attacking indies in 303, and TC in 264. May also attack Ashdod in 306 as well.

I wonder if that Gleaming Shield is redundant/has same effect as Gorgon's natural fear effects.
    Joelz
    Joelz

Number of posts : 134

Post  Joelz Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:58 am

My turn went somewhat nicely, grabbed 4 provinces from Eriu with about 1 unit lost each. Unfortunately a group of 15 questing knights chose to take 1 of them and slaughter 25 of my troops. Now I'm planning to attack Ferra(223), Ard(210), Pack Woods(198), Grey Mountains(149) and Black Forest(147).
    Bandar Log, I'm in control of Baccar(196) which was your province before Eriu captured it, would you like to have it back? Also, I could help you expand a bit by killing some of the independents in your territory. By the way is Eriu still in your lands?
    Caelum, now that my fort in Ligrea (143) is completed, I would like to know do you still need Phalicia (139)? My fort could use every extra resource.
    Forging 1 dwarven hammer, remote site searching with 6 of my mages.
    My pretender has awakened Very Happy
    Pelthin
    Pelthin

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post  Pelthin Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:15 am

Sounds good, I am attacking 224. How do you post a map? I can get it into word, just not online.

Thanks.

Septimius Severus wrote:Well, Eriu attempted to assissinate my Gorgon with a sneaking Sidhe Lord. He lost and I recovered a ring of Tamed Lightning and a Shield of Gleaming Gold from him.

Took 283 from indies successfully.

Thanks Ulm for the fire bolas.

Agartha, whats say you and I coordinate on taking out that fort of TC's in 228.

Attacking indies in 303, and TC in 264. May also attack Ashdod in 306 as well.

I wonder if that Gleaming Shield is redundant/has same effect as Gorgon's natural fear effects.
    rdonj
    rdonj
    Admin

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

Post  rdonj Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 am

Septimius Severus wrote:I wonder if that Gleaming Shield is redundant/has same effect as Gorgon's natural fear effects.

The shield of gleaming gold doesn't cause fear, it gives awe. The awe will stack with any awe your gorgon already had, so it is useful.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 am

Septimius Severus wrote:

Gleaming Shield should give you awe not fear. As you have that presumably on your Gorgon I am not sure it will add anything as I don't think it stacks. But it should show you on his screen (does the awe value change when he has it or not) without testing it in combat. But if it does increase your awe (or you don't have it at the moment) that is a very good thing Very Happy

If it's of limited value to you my Thugs would love it Very Happy

As would any others. Stick it on a Bane Lord or some such Thug and it should help greatly with crowd control. I usually prefer to use something like a Charcoal shield (fire aura) or Vine shield (entraps attackers) for that. But these are good too.

Not really anti SC/Thug equipment though, much more an anti chaff device. Your Gorgon was never likely to be overawed Razz Even if he was he'd have run off not died so I am not sure why it was used like it was. Nice find though Very Happy
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 am

Ninja'd - again Wink

And very interesting on the awe stacking. I didn't think it did that. That makes it very useful.
    Hoplosternum
    Hoplosternum

Post  Hoplosternum Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:24 am

Skinu wrote:
    I have 8 elephants with 6 infantry and three heavy casters outside your cap, I think I can take him with that force, trample is good against skinshifters, if you want to save your men.

Im getting const 4 next turn so I can forge you some wicked gear, and starting research on ench for seeking arrow, should have that in two turns.

Well assuming the turn doesn't tick over before this evening I think I am going to cancel my attack.

I don't think it has a high enough chance of success. And if it fails it makes the rest of the campaign much easier for him as he gets another fortress and does not need to leave a bunch of stuff there.

If Caelum can keep attacking the provinces around my Capital that will be very useful. Any break out will be much safer if I can grab a neighbouring province first so I may send out some stealth units this turn ready to attack next turn.
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 am

Squirrelloid wrote:You know, Twobits, given his scripts... any of your mages who win their mind duel could stick around to wreak further havoc for a couple of turns. I'm thinking things which will stick around - cursing, horror marking, all kinds of nasty stuff. None of his units are even going to move until turn 3... And if you're in the back they won't make it to you for 3-4 turns, (and i'm being generous on how fast they are). So that's like a full specific spell script of nasty you can drop on him before retreating.

(Ok, if he has PD you might want to limit yourself to dueling + 2 more - but his PD isn't especially fast either).

Thanks for the tip. I'm tempted, but I'm worried my mages might do something stupid, like burn up all their Astral gems in fatigue abatement, and not have enough left to Return. The safest bet might be a straight 'hit' and then run for it. But I'll take a look and see what's feasible.
    melnorjr
    melnorjr

Post  melnorjr Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Hoplosternum wrote:
    Septimius Severus wrote:

Gleaming Shield should give you awe not fear. As you have that presumably on your Gorgon I am not sure it will add anything as I don't think it stacks. But it should show you on his screen (does the awe value change when he has it or not) without testing it in combat. But if it does increase your awe (or you don't have it at the moment) that is a very good thing Very Happy

Awe does stack, so eriu just handed septimius a very nice shield for him.

Not really anti SC/Thug equipment though, much more an anti chaff device. Your Gorgon was never likely to be overawed Razz Even if he was he'd have run off not died so I am not sure why it was used like it was. Nice find though Very Happy
    the point was if the assassin wins the combat and the gorgon flees - it dies. any time you flee an assassination attempt, you die(whether you are attacker or defender)

Last edited by melnorjr on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TwoBits
    TwoBits

Post  TwoBits Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 pm

How is Eriu conducting assassinations? Do the Sidhe Lords have Black Hearts? Or did they just CT in in a regular attack?

By the way, can anyone give me a heads-up on Ashdod's PD? What do they get at 1-19, and at 20+?
    Squirrelloid
    Squirrelloid

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-06-26

Post  Squirrelloid Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 pm

TwoBits wrote:How is Eriu conducting assassinations? Do the Sidhe Lords have Black Hearts? Or did they just CT in in a regular attack?

By the way, can anyone give me a heads-up on Ashdod's PD? What do they get at 1-19, and at 20+?

1 PD was a Gileadite (advanced to melee), an Edomite (javelin, hung around commander), and a Rephaite Commander. At least I assume that was 1 PD.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content